Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Dad's '69 Chevelle SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009
Default Dad's '69 Chevelle SS

I don't really openly talk about this subject much. I'm sure you all will understand. I'm 24 years old and I own an all original, numbers matching 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396 375HP beauty. The reason I say I own it is because it was my dad's car who passed away in 2005. He had a massive heart attack. So now, even at 24, every few years I get blood work done, because I don't want to die as young as he did. My grand father also passed away because of heart failure, so I know it is definitely a family history issue.

I'm sure some of you have read in a few threads that I have a very close place for 1969 Chevelles and this is why. I've grown very close with the members here at MCF and I know that I can share this story and information with all of you. My dad bought it this way. I'm not sure exactly when it was restored or anything like that, but I know it is the greatest gift a father could ever give to his son. With that being said, I'd give it up in a heart beat to have him back.

Well enough of all of that... Here are some pictures.

It no longer lives in my mom and step-dad's poll barn, it's at my house next to the Monte. SS parking only in my garage! lol It has won a couple of awards at shows recently, including 2nd in the stock Chevelle class at the Midwest Corvette Chevy Show (no one scored a high enough score for first). I'm very proud of it, I'll never ever get rid of it, it'll be my son's (or daughter's if I don't have a son) when I pass away (which I hope is a long time from now), and I just hope I can keep it in the shape it is in today for as long as possible. A lot of people have made me offers, but it doesn't matter.

Thanks everyone!

Old 09-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

AHHH NOW I GET IT! I remember seeing a Chevelle that looked JUST LIKE that in someone's pictures, and you asked about that car.

It all makes sense. And I'm very sorry to hear about the unfortunate events that have happened leading up to owning the car, but it is a gorgeous car, and keeping it around and in great shape is the best tribute you can possibly do for your father.

I really enjoy that car, as I'm sure you do. Now I'm way more jealous of your garage!

Old 09-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Thanks Mike. It means a lot. And you're exactly right. They hold a special place in my heart.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

as they rightfully should!

Old 09-22-2009, 05:43 PM

Wow, what a story!! I'm so sorry for your loss, but it is definitely awesome to have something that was so special to your dad live on with you. All too often, cars get sold off because no one else in the family enjoyed the hobby. It's great that he was able to pass it on to you!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:28 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It appears you realize what a special gift you were given and the unfortunate circunstances that had to happen for you to receive this gift.

One thing I learned over the years is NEVER say, "I'm never going to get rid of this."
From my experience shorty afterwards you then hear that events happened that lead up to this whatever being sold off or lost forever.

I said I was never getting rid of my very first car a few times. And it wasn't a day or so later something would take place that would **** my mother off and the very first thing she would do is go for blood. Or............. that she would get rid of my cars.

Just take it easy. Enjoy what you have. Allow another day to pass and thank God for what you have.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:45 PM

Sorry you had to suffer such a great loss. I have a buddy that is in a similar situation. He lost his dad to a car wreck when he was 22. He and his dad used to build cars. When his dad died he was given his dads prized possession a 69 matching numbers camaro ss. He never drove the car and it sat in his garage until one day he sold it for a crazy amount of money. He has proceeded to go through most of that money and has nothing to show for it. I hope you are able to keep it for ever. All though it is just a car, I am sure you feel a special connection each time you get behind the wheel. I wish you nothing but happy miles behind the wheel with your children and grandchildren.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

WOW! GREAT car! I agree, don't EVER get rid of the car, not for ANY reason, not for ANY amount of money! It's a FAMILY car now.
I appreciate your pain in loosing your father. I too have had painful losses. I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Rick, you should keep it and enjoy it cause that is what your dad would have wanted. It is a very gorgeous car and my fiance would be jealous cause it looks like better condition than the one he just bought and better color combo LOL! The only thing I really inherited from my mom when she passed away last April was her wedding ring that I helped redesign about 10 years ago and I cherish it. I got her diamond transferred to my engagement ring and took her setting and got a Blue Zircon in it's place and I love wearing it.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:07 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Beautiful car!

Quick Reply: Dad's '69 Chevelle SS