Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Credit Scores

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Credit Scores

Old 04-14-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DRuben
      The company I work for I do credit score involving Equifax just a heads up every time one is done you score is affected and possibly because you hadn't been sent to Collections yet that's why it didn't effect the score try and find somewhere to get a credit card use it on small things and pay it right away don't keep it on you only when you know you're going to pay it right away and try and get a bill in your name maybe a cell phone...? That's the best I can really help you with as far as my knowledge goes good luck

Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM
      10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jparks
      The company I work for I do credit score involving Equifax just a heads up every time one is done you score is affected and possibly because you hadn't been sent to Collections yet that's why it didn't effect the score try and find somewhere to get a credit card use it on small things and pay it right away don't keep it on you only when you know you're going to pay it right away and try and get a bill in your name maybe a cell phone...? That's the best I can really help you with as far as my knowledge goes good luck
      Im kinda on that track I was going to start my credit off but it seems that I already had a credit score which I didnt know lol. I was always scared to check it but it snuck up on me. I guess I should pull the whole report to see whats on it and make sure no one has stolen my info. Thanks for the advice . Another question. Can paypal raise or lower it? If I remember correctly that ran my info when I was selling computer parts, car parts, and other stuff. I always kept a good balance and had 7 weekly customers until I stopped selling, no negative balance but my account has been closed with $24 in it due to innactivity....

Old 04-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by DRuben
        It can take some time to get your score up. You shouldn't worry about people judging you about it. Our credit is bad because I lost my job in 2009 and was unemployed for 10 months. It really sucked. We have 3 kids and we only had my wife's income for a lot of the time that I was out of work. I got unemployment, but it wasn't enough to pay the bills. We paid the main bills. We had to keep the roof over our heads. That was the main focus. Never late on a rent payment the whole time I was out of work. We had to let doctor bills and credit cards slide. There just wasn't any money to pay them. As a result, my credit score is in the toilet, still to this day. We have been working to get everything taken care of, but with raising three kids, it takes some time. We wanted to buy a house last year, but banks don't care that you have always paid your rent on time, even when you only had one income. All they care about is that little number on the paper. It really doesn't seem fair. You work hard to keep the roof over your head, and it doesn't matter to them one bit. We were lucky enough to find a guy who was willing to sell us a house on contract. We made a huge down payment (he let us spread it out over time) and we have never been late in making the payment to him. just goes to show that a credit score doesn't always truly indicate the kind of person you are. Sometimes people just get hosed in life. It happens. Sorry for the long reply, but I wanted you to know that you do not need to be concerned about what others think if your credit score.

If you have student loans from going to college and they are current, they can help your score. The best way that I have heard of is to take care of things that are behind and keep them current. Then it just takes time to build the positive history.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM
        Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
        Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
        10 Year Member

I was suprised to find out that even tho I messed a credit card, bank acount went way negative, 3 things or more in collections and I still have a score in the high 500's I was honestly expecting it to be in the 400's

but by the sounds of it my cell phone bill is my only saving grace becuase that is the only monthly bill that is in my name

Old 04-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
        I was suprised to find out that even tho I messed a credit card, bank acount went way negative, 3 things or more in collections and I still have a score in the high 500's I was honestly expecting it to be in the 400's

but by the sounds of it my cell phone bill is my only saving grace becuase that is the only monthly bill that is in my name
        Sounds like a really good start. My advice would be to talk to your bank and have them look at your credit report. You don't want to just go and pay those collection accounts without talking to someone. Depending on how old they are, it could hurt instead of help. Sometimes when you pay an old debt and they update the activity it makes it a more recent entry on your report, and it can hurt (or so I've been told).

We've talked to credit counseling places in the past, but I have just been handling the stuff myself. I have just been paying anything and everything off that I can. It hasn't hurt my credit score, but you never know.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Like someone else mentioned get a credit card from a bank or credit union in your area or even a small personal loan. If you have access to a credit union I would go there first. It seems to me they just have better service. Go in and ask to talk to someone in the loan department and tell them your situation and they should be able to help. When I was 19 I put a 1000 in my credit union account and then took out a secured loan against it because I couldn't get a loan. This may be another option.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM
        Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
        10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
        Thanks Space, good material indeed! I guess I can TRY to get a credit card with the credit union that im with because Chase denied me on a credit card and Capital One denied me for a secured credit card... For years people told me that credit cards are a no no and swore that they were bad news. Now these SAME PEOPLE are telling me the opposite and its hard to get that out of my head... Im thinking about seeing if I can get another vehicle, possibly a truck in my name since I can afford it. Idk, Whoever invented credit scores suck!

Old 04-15-2012, 11:48 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Credit cards can be bad if you get in over your head. I would get a low limit card use it a little and then make some monthly payments on it. Don't max it out and then pay it off because i was told that doesn't really help your credit. Also keep in mind once you do get a credit card you are gonna get a ton of offers for other cards, Throw them in the trash.

A vehicle loan would be a good Idea too if you want to go that route but again go through the credit union or bank not a buy here pay here type place.

Quick Reply: Credit Scores