Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Copart Finds

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:32 PM

yeah the sale ends tomorrow someone should but it and part the thing out if they dont wanna fix her up, i will but the wheels and grille for sure.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I looked at buying slightly damaged cars from Copart before. In case anyone thinking to do the same, it has a goofy routine to actually MAKE a bid.... You must either:
- Have some "special" license to make bids
- Go to a CoPart site (and actual brick-n-mortar building) and pay a fee to make a bid there.
- Hire a company that will let you place a bid under their account (fees to join such companies are anywhere from $100-$500, some offer first bid free, some have additional prices based on winning bid).

I found it to be WAY too complex with hidden fees.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I buy off Copart its not too bad, & as far as this car is conserned its a parts only car title so u cant fix it & if u wanted to it would cost about 8k to do it mine cost 10k & was far worse, rollovers arnt bad cars to pick up, most newer cars will automatically shut down the engine in a rollover so no worries with tha just got alot pf cleaning to do under the hood, if it had a rebuildable title id have a bid in already

Old 04-23-2012, 06:23 PM

When I first moved to Florida; my first job was as office manager at Copart Orlando when they were still on Landstreet Rd. in order to buy at Copart you have to be a licensed dealer or have a salvage license. The majority of the cars are branded unrebuildable (parts only) and their fees are rediculous. When I was there the buyer had to pay a buyers fee, a fee to move the car (loader fee), another gate fee to put the car in an area where it could be loaded onto a carrier, and yet another fee if you wanted Copart to put the wreck onto your carrier. I was constantly having to deal with buyers upset over fees.

I hated seeing so many cars that had minimal damage with titles branded unrebuildable.

I think there are better auctions than Copart. I used to buy from APC (Auto Placement Center) in Vermont. Their fees and requirements were reasonable.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 04-23-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
That would make a great donor car. It even has the 20 floor mats still.
I would only buy it as a donor car. It wouldn't be worth all the money it would cost you to rebuild that car. Including legal stuff. If all you want is a Tony Stewart edition, there's a lot better choices out there. And you'd have a hard time selling that car, if you wanted to sell it.

I don't believe Mike has any intent to sell his Jeff Gordon edition. So it was worth it to him. If I was Mike, I would never sell it either.

Originally Posted by 02 Earnhardt Monte Carlo SS
yeah usually after the cars been rolled you just have to have the entire engine flushed along with the tranny. if the person who rolled it was smart the shut it off right after it happened and no damage was done to the motor. we have cars come into my dads shop right after they have been rolled and the people have the engines/trannys flushed in most cases or sometimes just engines and they run like they did before the accident.
If I was in a roll over accident, the last thing on my mind would be to turn the engine off. I'd just want to get the hell out of the car.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I was in a roll over accident, the last thing on my mind would be to turn the engine off. I'd just want to get the hell out of the car.
idk when I was in my rollover it was the first thing I did

Old 04-23-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I would only buy it as a donor car. It wouldn't be worth all the money it would cost you to rebuild that car. Including legal stuff. If all you want is a Tony Stewart edition, there's a lot better choices out there. And you'd have a hard time selling that car, if you wanted to sell it.

I don't believe Mike has any intent to sell his Jeff Gordon edition. So it was worth it to him. If I was Mike, I would never sell it either.

If I was in a roll over accident, the last thing on my mind would be to turn the engine off. I'd just want to get the hell out of the car.
For the last twenty years all cars built new with a high pressure fuel pump have a fuel pump kill switch that kills the fuel pump in the event of a roll over or rear end collision. Unless the switch fails the car will shut off.

I think rebuilt wrecks are an awesome bargain provided they were repaired competently. I have seen some that we're butchered though.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

For a roll over that doesn't look that bad. But i'd agree just part the car out.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I think I'd have to agree with Taz, that TS Edition has a LOT of damage to it. Sure, perhaps it could be fixed, just about anything could be fixed, all it takes is money, but I am not sure it's worth it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jparks
She's a pretty one too!
Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I think I'd have to agree with Taz, that TS Edition has a LOT of damage to it. Sure, perhaps it could be fixed, just about anything could be fixed, all it takes is money, but I am not sure it's worth it.

That Monte isn't hurt that badly. It looks worse than it actually is. The unibody does not appear to be twisted.

Quick Reply: Copart Finds