Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Computer wizz's get in here

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Computer wizz's get in here

Little back round
Gateway, couldn't tell you the model i'll add that when i get home,
we got it from amy's grandma after the hard drive puked and she had it repaired through gateway,

We leave it run 24/7 never really shut it down.. idk if that is a good or bad thing

but a few days ago notice one of the fans was squealing a bit.. i pinpointed it to be the powersupply fan and planed to replace it this weekend, and i shut it down at that point,

used the comp fri night no squealing from the fan or anything, i forgot to shut it down sat morning watching t.v. in the living room and amy calls me in the bedroom, it stinks like somthing electical was getting toasted... so try to pin point.. was the comp so i unplug it and the smell dicipates, unless you have your nose near the comp

i started tearing into it after running to Axe Man
it's not a comp shop but it's one of those flea market sytle shops that has a bit of everything...

grabbed a fan from there only to later find out i grabbed the wrong one.. o well another trip to the best store ever i'm fine with that,

but i tore the cover off the power supply and the fan didn't move freely but wasn't stuck like i was expecting, it's still geting replace(high voltage warning.. i laught at becuase it's not plugged in so the little bit that may be stored doesn't matter too much...

the 2 other 120mm fans in the case/ heat extractor for the cpu turn freely

i am almost afraid somthing else may have fried, any pointers... i'm not afraid to tear stuff appart... just want to know what to look for really... i just hope it didn't fry the motherboard or somthing, it is a good computer and i'd hate to be computerless again....

Old 03-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

is it still running fine? I have a spare power supply, I'm not sure if that's your issue though

Old 03-05-2012, 10:21 AM
10 Year Member

honestly i didn't even check to see if it was running fine, i just wanted to get the power cut befor it caused more damage, might hook it all back up tonight to see if things run fine, othere than the fan feeling cruddy i did not see any other issues with the power supply, nothing burnt/melted ect, would have the new fan in it if i would have grabbed the right one... grabbed a 24v instead of a 12 v... i set the wrong one down...

i was thinking i might get a new power supply just becuase from what i read i have the crapier design where it doesn't have an actual on/off switch back there

Last edited by Budsjlm; 03-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
honestly i didn't even check to see if it was running fine, i just wanted to get the power cut befor it caused more damage, might hook it all back up tonight to see if things run fine, othere than the fan feeling cruddy i did not see any other issues with the power supply, nothing burnt/melted ect, would have the new fan in it if i would have grabbed the right one... grabbed a 24v instead of a 12 v... i set the wrong one down...

i was thinking i might get a new power supply just becuase from what i read i have the crapier design where it doesn't have an actual on/off switch back there
Post a pic of your power supply, I have two of them laying around in older desktops that should work fine for you

Old 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Post a pic of your power supply, I have two of them laying around in older desktops that should work fine for you
i won't be until this evening but i'll get a pic, now then there is the question of i know the currant one is a 380 watt, do i need to match that, or anything specific

Old 03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Budsjlm
i won't be until this evening but i'll get a pic, now then there is the question of i know the currant one is a 380 watt, do i need to match that, or anything specific
it would be smart to get at least that out of the new one, it all depends on how many accessories are hooked up to the supply and how much power they are drawing, but I would match the 380 watt at least

I just checked and the only ones I have are a 230 watt and a 250 watt, what processor are you running?

Last edited by red04montels; 03-05-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 AM

As long as you don't go lower than 380 watts and find one of the same form factor and mainboard connector you'll be fine (assuming it is the PSU that is cooked)

Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I would match that, also make sure that the new power supply has the correct plug(s) for the motherboard you have.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM
10 Year Member

power supply is more than i'd like to spend but i will have to get in contact with a few people i know who build comps and see if they have any they will let go cheap

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I would match that, also make sure that the new power supply has the correct plug(s) for the motherboard you have.
thanks for the heads up i didn't even know there was differences!

i may have to take a look at the computers we are going to recycle here at work aswell!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

9 times out of 10 when you smell something burning it's the power supply gone bad

Quick Reply: Computer wizz's get in here