Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

collectables?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool collectables?

ok, figured i would do like 'space and make a discussion thred to "fill in the empty spaces", lol.

simple enough question: what do YOU like to collect? everyone collects something.

hotweels / die-cast cars? nascar memrobeilia? football memrobeilia? other sports stuff?

cars / trucks? antique furniture? antique.... well, anything old thats not furniture?

tractors? ATV / dirtbikes? ww1 / ww2 / vietnam / civel war artifacts? LIQUOR? lol...

old photographs? old books / magazines? electronics? SPEEDING TICKETS?? LOL

anything else i missed? let us know!
all members are welcome to post!

personally, i have been collecting die cast cars scince i was 3... i have a TON of em around, there are 6 johnny lightning cars on my computer moneter, and i have a 1:24 scale 66 GTO, a 1:24 scale 66 dodge charger made by franklen mint and a 1:24 ish scale kenworth dumptruck i saved from the trash on the top of my desk... i have probibly 250+ hotweels & johnny lightning cars.... i also have a small collection of old automotive dealer literature, again most saved from the trash... including 2 MINT dealer advertisments for a '60(?) hillman sedan and station wagon ( husky )
my dad, other than his large collection of engines & other vintage hot-rod goodies, collects old car magazines... we have a bookcase right next to my desk that is PACKED with mags dating from 1953 - 1993.... and everything newer than '93 is in a couple of other bookcases in our storage room

Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

We also have many die cast cars, mostly 1:64, but not all. quite a few have autographs, including a #88 that the Guard sent to us.
I also have a huge collection of non-sports trading cards. Mostly comic. Superman, Batman, X-men, Marvel, DC, etc, etc. I have a ton of prototype and promo cards, including some up for sale on ebay.
We have a bunch of antiques. LadyT has a huge collection of CDs and old books.
We also have a bunch of "collectibles" from our travels abroad. Always several from every trip.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

sounds cool, wayne. you mentioning trading cards reminds me i have a stack of
early- mid '70's NHRA & hot rod trading cards... i have some really cool ones, with magazines to match! same goes for alot of the johnny lightning cars when they did magazine based cars

Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM

I've got a few Johnny Lightning James Bond cars. They are kinda hard to find.

Last edited by RocknSS04; 10-16-2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

hmm maily stuff i can tinker with... doesn't really mater what it is if i think i can fix it i'll take it...fixed a seized up air ratchet tha everyone claimed i couldn't ha showed them...

Old 10-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

ryan, you had to make a thread about collectables, lets see, 1/64 diecast nascar cars, a few 1/24 diecast nascar cars, couple autographed, bought on QV freaking C. sports cards, game used jersey cards a couple with actual tire rubber from dale sr race cars, firesuit card with a piece from kevin harvicks firesuit!! a few zippos, steelers and penguins stuff, dale sr and dale jr busts/sculptures, some dale sr plates from like the bradford mint! got 1 full case of dale jr 16oz budweiser aluminum bottles with the #8 on them and 2 empty cases with the same, but empty! i save all my spare change with hopes to buy something or just destroy one of those coinstar machines with maximum overload when getting it counted! and who knows what else, still haven't gone through my fathers stuff, he passed away 4+ years and haven't touched a thing of his yet. 2 bedrooms full of some of the above mentioned and a basement and an attic with all the stuff my father collected, net worth = most likely nothing since it is all in boxes and nobody will ever take the time to try to sell it off? most likely gonna end up in a teardown dumpster parked in the driveway when they close the lid on me someday??

Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM

i have a bunch of lionel trains,o gauge and 027 the bigger ones with 3 rails..like mostly postwar..from like 1950 on

Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Still haven't gone through my fathers stuff, he passed away 4+ years and haven't touched a thing of his yet. 2 bedrooms full of some of the above mentioned and a basement and an attic with all the stuff my father collected, net worth = most likely nothing since it is all in boxes and nobody will ever take the time to try to sell it off? most likely gonna end up in a teardown dumpster parked in the driveway when they close the lid on me someday??
Sorry to hear about you Dad passing. I know EXACTLY what you mean. I lost my son almost 3 years ago, and I STILL have stuff I haven't gone thru. It's hard, but going thru it you touch the things that your Dad touched, and you get to touch him again. Sometimes it hurts, but sometimes it helps, but always with tears.
My suggestion is to face it, and go thru his things, and blend what you want in with your things. That way he has handed them down to you, his son. Things like his tools. Maybe some shirts that you can wear. A belt, a jacket. His favorite hat.
I pray that you will get to see him again someday, God permitting, and leave all this "stuff" here behind us.
We have SEVERAL households of "stuff" blended into our house, from relatives that have passed on before us. I wouldn't want it any other way.
That's what a lot of our "collectibles" are. Things that have a name and a memory attached to them. Dollar value? Not much. Value to us? PRICELESS!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

thanks for the post wayne, it really makes better sense from how you explained that, i really appreciate the kind words, thank you

Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I used to collect hockey cards, but it got to be too expensive of a hobby. Plus, the market got flooded with too many sets and sub-sets. Made 99% of the cards worthless almost immediately.

The only cards that may have some value years later are the ones that are short print with a serial number (#3 of 10).

An observation that I've made...

Most stuff labelled "collector's item" or "collector's edition" will be worthless as a collectible since everybody and their brother will hoard them away hoping to cash in years later.

Wondering if anyone else agrees or disagrees?

I have a large CD collection also. But willing to convert them all over to music files on a memory card, since CD's take up quite a bit of room by today's standards. Which is ironic considering they take up a lot less room than the vinyl records they replaced.

Speaking of collections...

With the popularity of owning every movie that comes out. How many different formats do you have your favourite movies (or music albums)? Do you, or have you, owned your favorite movies in every format? VHS, DVD, HD-DVD, and Blueray?