Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Childhood Reminiscing

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Childhood Reminiscing

I got a book for Christmas, Smokey's Power Secrets, by NASCAR legend Smokey Yunick. On his website, the show a 1/64 truck with an air brush of his picture and cars on the side and claim it's 1 of 600 and want $65 for it. I remembered having that truck, and decided to dig it out!

http://www.smokeyyunick.com/Images/Products/Item13.jpg

Well today it was cold, I don't think it made it to 30 degrees in NC today and it was VERY windy, so I opted out of working on my Ford Torino for a day. I went to get it out and dug up all my old stuff!

My dad drives an 18 wheeler, so I always loved playing with little trucks as a kid. I had a few old NASCAR haulers, and various trucks from Wal Mart, Dollar General, and several that I found at yard sales when I was a kid. One of the ones I found at a yard sale was that Smokey Yunick truck that I picked up for a couple of dollars several years back! It was in good condition, not even scratched up, both exhaust stacks in place, and all the tires still on it! For most of my trucks, i liked to see them the way I saw them on the road. I didn't like seeing them with a lot of stickers and stuff on them, so I pulled them off so they looked like the ones I saw when I rode with my daddy!!

I had a military phase. I had an aircraft carrier that yo ucould actually store small planes in, a few small battle ship, and some tanks. My aircraft carrier looked something like this:

http://www.toystogrowon.com/graphics...arge/504_l.jpg

I was also into Star Wars!! I found all my old Star Wars action figures, my toy lightsabers, and all that good stuff. Could be valuable one day!! The vintage stuff from the '70's is worth a LOT today!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...08/12/jedi.jpg

I was WAY into NASCAR!!! I used to love getting hte little 1/64 cars and playing with them on the floor, having a race of my own going on on the floor while the real race went on on TV. However, I sold all of my little cars after the paint jobs got old and outdated and eventually I sold them all, having none to keep as keepsakes of days old!! I even had my own points system!!! (Mysteriously, my favorite driver at whatever age ended up winning that)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1116/...9a8db2.jpg?v=0

So members, what toys do you remember treasuring most as a child? Do you still have them? Share the memories!

Attached Thumbnails Childhood Reminiscing-item13.jpg   Childhood Reminiscing-jedi.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 05:27 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Haha thats all awesome. Finding stuff from younger days has to be sweet.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 PM

When i was about 8, when i came to the USA, my cousins gave me Football and NBA cards.
Oh man if i had them today!! pffft i'd be a happy camper.
I had the Aikman's, Steve Youngs, Emmit Smith, J. Rice, i mean all the great ones that are around today, but their rookie cards and a bunch of hallow graphic ones too.
I either gave them away or sold them, but i definitely regret getting rid of them.
Also collect a little of Nascar, a bunch of Baseball cards too.

*sigh*, thanks for the depressing though, jk.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 AM

...Hi `Duane, great read & Thread Topic. Thanks for taking time in your life to share with your Monte Carlo Family..Don't hurt with your words...thanks

I didn't have 2 many toys when I was little or now : )
The beach was our playground & we used the sand to create/design castles, homes, cars....Also we always had some kind of ball...beachball/volley ball/nerf football etc.

Collected seaShell's & Sea Creatures : P

Thanks `Duane, and I hope more member's post their past toys...

Last edited by Space; 01-03-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool stuff!

My dad's house is a perfect vault for everything from my childhood because he never cleans up or moves anything. And I mean never! I exagerate not: My bag of school books still sits just inside the front door where I left it when I came home from school last - 15 years ago!!! This poor behavior of his benefits me when I want anything out of my past. I just have to remember where I left it. Weird huh?

I got lots of cool stuff - old racing stuff like a lifesize "standee" of Junior Johnson and Bill Elliot in Bud gear, numerous unopened & opened Racing Champions 1/64 diecasts. Lots of original DaleSr., Richard Petty diecast in there. Old WWF magazines. So many valuable hockey cards including (Mario Lemieux rookies - I have 4).

My dad lives in another city, so I don't visit that often, but what a dirty ol' museum he has. But I leave the good stuff there because I know he won't let anything happen to it. He still even has my old '83 Firebird from high school too - its in good shape.

The neatest thing at my dad's - your gonna love this. My father was there at Richard Petty's last race in 1992 at Atlanta (I had to stay home and was I pissed about that). Richard Petty never finished his last race - not the happy ending portrayed in Pixar's Cars. He was running at the end I think, but anyways... after the race my dad and his friend take a big bread knife, hop the fence and cut out the turf where Richard Petty's last wreck happened. There's oil and quick dry in it. He has it in his freezer still today. I don't know how one could authenticate it, but I still think its neat!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:38 AM

tHANks `Brent, enjoyed read'in 4 Sure : )
Several of the senior citz's in my area are also pack/Rats : )
It must be a mature thing ? LOL
Do you have pic's of your Firebird ?
Below is about Richard Petty's (The King) last ride : )
Race
A record 160,000 fans arrived at Atlanta Motor Speedway to witness Petty's final ride, and to watch the exciting championship battle. The race was televised live on ESPN. At the start, polesitter, Rick Mast crashed with Brett Bodine (who led Lap 1) in Turn 1 on the second lap.
Kyle Petty and Mark Martin had engine problems that took them out of contention. Harry Gant finished, but was never a factor. Allison was in sixth place when Ernie Irvan's tire blew with 75 laps remaining.[2] Allison T-boned Irvan's spinning car on Lap 254. The car had a broken right front tie rod. He eventually lost 43 laps repairing the tie rod, ending his championship hopes.[3]
Kulwicki and Elliott were left to duel for the title.[1] During his first pit stop, Kulwicki lost first gear.[4] Kulwicki was known for being an intelligent driver who thought outside the box, and worked with crew chiefPaul Andrews to plot the prime strategy late in the race. Their original plan was a "gas-and-go" stop at Lap 306. With about 20 laps to go final pit stops began, as Elliott was pressuring Kulwicki for the lead. Given the circumstances, Kulwicki's crew moved the pit stop by a few laps, telling him to pit at Lap 309. He stayed out. Kulwicki was thinking about the bonus points for leading the most laps (10 as opposed to 5), for which he was battling with title rival Bill Elliott. Kulwicki stopped at Lap 310, boosting his laps led total to 103.[4] Kulwicki's pit crew did a "gas and go" stop.[4] Not changing tires during the stop allowed the Paul Andrews-led group to help push the car, preventing it from stalling with only one remaining gear.[4] Elliott pitted at lap 314, with an identical pit stop time, but had a quicker pit exit since he had first gear. Terry Labonte led the next lap, as he pitted the next lap. Elliott won the race, and Kulwicki finished second.[1] By leading one more lap than Elliott, Kulwicki claimed the 5 bonus points for leading the most laps. Kulwicki became the 1992 NASCAR Winston Cup Series Champion by 10 points over Elliott.[1] The championship would have ended in a tie if Elliott had led more laps than Kulwicki, and Elliott held the tie-breaker (most victories during the season). It was the closest title win in NASCAR Cup Series history until the implementation of the Chase for the Cup format 12 years later.[5] Kulwicki celebrated with his second-ever Polish Victory Lap.[6]
Richard Petty was caught up in Ken Schrader's wreck on Lap 95, and the front end of the car was destroyed.[3] A fire broke out, but Petty escaped uninjured. The crew worked diligently all afternoon to get the car running again, and with two laps to go Petty brought out his car with no sheet metal on the front end.[3] He finished 35th, and was credited as running at the finish in his final race.[7] Commenting on the fire, Richard said, "I wanted to go out in a blaze of glory; I just forgot about the glory part."
This race also marked the Cup Series debut of Jeff Gordon, who raced with a loose race car all day. He hit the wall on Lap 164 and was unable to continue.[3] Gordon's 31st place finish was overlooked in light of everything else that went on. It marks the only time Jeff Gordon ever raced Richard Petty in a NASCAR race.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That was a cool race racap and it digging up the old feelings. I'm so pissed I didn't get to go. But to put it back on topic, I do have a special 1/64th Richard Petty die-cast commorating the race too. These thing are rare because there was no die-cast market in 1992. It was just starting up.
Unfortunately, today I have no pictures of this cool stuff. And for that I am a loser, but one day I may post some. I have an old pic of the firebird I scanned that I posted here before I think:

It's not a great shot of the car really, but it shows how much of a Richard Petty mark I am. And yes, I still have the license plate too. That pic is from Dec 1994 in Daytona. The car looks like the original K.I.T.T. pretty much, but its only a Firebird, not a TransAm. I have a couple more I can scan but they're not great...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member
Unhappy

Looking at all these posts makes me wish i kept all my old stuff.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:28 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Junior Car, you posted that as Optimus Prime on the Jeff Gordon forum. And you parked in the handicapped spot!!! LOSER (holds his fingers over his forehead in the shape of an L at you)

It was really cool to have that tag near Richard Petty's car.... pretty cool none the less!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Junior Car, you posted that as Optimus Prime on the Jeff Gordon forum. And you parked in the handicapped spot!!! LOSER (holds his fingers over his forehead in the shape of an L at you)

quote]

Where's the fun in that ?
L 2 `U 2
Maybe he was handicapped that `day ~*
(I will have 2 edit 4-Sure)

Attached Thumbnails Childhood Reminiscing-%60c.jpg  

Quick Reply: Childhood Reminiscing