Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Chevy Volt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010
Question Chevy Volt?

So the release date is around december of this year, whats everyones thoughts about the Volt? and would you be willing to purchase one??

Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM

i think thats a stupid idea of a car. running on electric? why not just buy a golf cart and get it street legal??
EDIT: no i would never buy an electric car.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I honestly think its a very cool concept. The estimated fuel mileage is amazing, even if it only delievers half the MPG that Chevy says it will deliver, then it will be GREAT gas mileage.

Now, would I own one? Hard to say...I'd definitely prefer not to, that is for sure. However if gas goes up to $7 per gallon, and i'm commuting 100+ miles per day, I sure as hell would consider buying one. Even if I kept my "cool" car, and just used the Volt for a commuter car.

I may be biased toward GM, but I honestly think its one of the better looking Pruis competitors too.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

I personally love the idea, but I'd rather have something more like a Tesla Roadster. Or something much cheaper that achieves the same economic benefits, but doesn't cost $40,000 before government refunds.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Electric and Gas hybrids are great ideas, but I don't like the expense and weight that the batteries add. If they could give me a v8 but it has a little help from a battery at time to time to help the MPGs, I could be down with that.

Other than that though, I enjoy speed and power too much to get an electric car and they are always over priced, when I see the price tags I start thinking of other cars with those tags...

Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- October 2010

The expense does need to go down but I think it is a great concept for an everyday commuter and keep our beloved montes for the trophy room someday!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 PM

you know what the down fall of the electric cars are. the price of the batteries. there more than a new engin built for racing. for a full lithium batteries that the car needs to run with. with my mustang if i go easy with it i get 34 mph with a full built motor with a supercharger. also i get the same mph out of my monte so if i had to chose or only drive one poticular vehicle ang gas was on the way out i would still drive the car with the gas engine because tecnology and tuning can make a gas vehicle get close on what a pure electric car has. on the bright side i would drive the tesla roadster over than the volt. because it is super quick and has a simular styling like the monte's have but not as much room.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

I hope it's a big success for GM 4-Sure
I've read about it, but will wait to get the chance
to drive one. I hope the price goes down over time.
GM needs this one 2 succeed.
Chevrolet VoltAge - Get Plugged In
click above link 4 more
Apr 22, 2010 ... Monday, 19 April 2010 13:55 administrator. The Chevrolet Volt has been nominated for Best Upcoming Electric Car in the Cars & Transportation ...
chevroletvoltage.com/ - 4 hours ago - Cached

Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

i personally think its a cool car. sucks that it's really more for city drivers bcuz of the whole only being able to go so far on electric & all but its still neat =) if i lived in the city or someplace that didnt require me to drive long distances i would probably get one

Old 04-22-2010, 01:59 PM

oh i forgot you can over charge a battery and cause it to fail look at cell phone batteries and camera batteries they go quick do to over charging. also you cant really hurt a gas engine unless you drive it with out fluids. i have seen chevy and ford engins go well over 300k before a thaught of a rebuild. example my dads nercury cugar he gave me 315k before rebuild my truck that i have by chevy has 5k less than the cugar runs great. both had abuse befor the rebuilds but held to gether. if you abuse the batteries in a pure electric car it wont be as forgiving and the batteries will die befor any thing else.

Quick Reply: Chevy Volt?