Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>Cars with Manual Transmissions<

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:25 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb >Cars with Manual Transmissions<

Every Manual Transmission Available Today
Hi Member's, What do you prefer, Manual or automatic transmissions ? Post & let us know (?)

3/26/15 1:18pm

Live in the USA and want to buy a new car with a manual? I've got bad news for you, there aren't many options.
Manual transmissions in the United States have been on a downwards trend since the 1970s, and it's looking like it wont be long before they're completely extinct. I, like most you, prefer this mode transitioning power from the engine to the wheels, but it seems the VAST majority of Americans couldn't care less. So lets have a look at just how few cars come with a clutch pedal these days.

First of all pretty much every compact and subcompact car still has a purely manual transmission available.
Buick Verano
Chevrolet Spark
Chevrolet Sonic
Chevrolet Cruze
Dodge Dart
Fiat 500
Fiat 500L
Ford Fiesta
Ford Focus
Honda Fit
Honda Civic
Honda CR-Z
Hyundai Accent
Hyundai Elantra
Huyndai Veloster
Kia Rio
Kia Forte
Kia Soul
Mazda 2
Mazda 3
Mini all models
Mitsubishi Mirage
Mitsubishi Lancer
Nissan Versa
Nissan Sentra
Scion xB
Scion tC
Subaru Impreza/WRX
Toyota Yaris
Toyota Corolla
VW Beetle
VW Golf/GTI
VW Jetta/Sportwagen
Only five midsize cars still offer one
Buick Regal
Honda Accord
Mazda 6
VW Passat
VW CC

A manual truck with a heated steering wheel- Ain't that America?

For suvs you're pretty much limited to Jeep. Mazda, Subaru, and Mitsubishi still offer sticks in their small cuvs. Manuals are pretty much extinct in big trucks
Jeep Renagade
Jeep Compass
Jeep Patroit
Jeep Wrangler
Mazda CX5
Mitsubishi Outlander Sport
Nissan Juke
Nissan Xterrra -discontinued
Subaru XV
Subaru Forester
Chevrolet/GMC Colorado/Canyon
Dodge Ram Heavy Duty
Nissan Frontier
Toyota Tacoma

Aston Martin Vantage
Audi R8
BMW Z4
Chevrolet Camaro
Chevrolet Corvette
Chevrolet Super Sport
Dodge Challenger
Dodge Viper
Ford Mustang
Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Lotus Evora
Mazda MX5 Miata
Mercedes SLK230
Nissan Z
Porsche Boxster/Cayman
Porsche 911
Scion/Subaru FR-S/BRZ

Finally the luxury cars
Audi A4/S4
Audi A5/S5
BMW 2
BMW 3/4/M3/M4
BMW M5/M6
Cadillac ATS/ATS-V
Infiniti Q60
So out of the roughly 265 models sold in the United States about 50 of them offer manual transmissions, or slightly less than 20%. Most mainstream brands have about 30-40% of their models with a manual. Mazda, Subaru, Jeep, Mitsubishi, and VW offer one on more than half of their line ups. Scion has the most manuals per car line up, with the exception of Mini and Lotus's 100% one car line up. Chevrolet has the most models available (7).
Did I miss any? (any 2015MY USDM that is)
Notable cars NOT on the list
Mazda 5 (manual died in '14)
Ford Fusion (manual died in '14)
Subaru Legacy/Outback (manual died '14)
BMW 5 Series (manual died '14)
Porsche Cayenne (manual died '14)

Old 04-16-2015, 06:50 AM

I'd take a manual over automatic

Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like manuals better

Old 04-16-2015, 06:54 AM
Default Hi Red Monte > What R U doing ? Stick around>LOL<

Originally Posted by Red Monte Carlo
I'd take a manual over automatic
Why What vehicle 2 U want with a Stick Shift ?
====================================
Editorial: You’re The Reason Auto Makers Don’t Offer Manual Transmissions

By Derek Kreindler on March 13, 2015

One of the essential questions that many automotive writers fail to examine is “what is the nature of an automaker”? All too often, they lose sight of the fact that OEMs are in the business of selling cars, not manufacturing widgets for people who like cars.
This kind of mindset is what leads to the exchange outlined in Automobile Magazine, where one writer discusses the lack of a manual transmission in the 2016 Audi R8.
“You have to look at lap times,” he said at the 2015 Geneva auto show, adding that the take rate for manual transmission-equipped Audi R8s, at least in Europe, was almost nil. When pressed on the issue, Hollerweger remained firm. There is simply is no way for a stick-shift to match the performance of the R8’s dual-clutch transmission and few buyers wanted one, so Hollerweger believes there’s no point in offering a manual on the new car.
Of course, we’d beg to differ and we were a bit taken aback by his assertion that a manual-equipped car is not the more engaging experience for the driver.”
Emphasis added by yours truly. But that assertion alone highlights what is either a total lack of understanding regarding the auto industry, or willful blindness. The R8 is a halo car for Audi, and you can bet that they spent lots of time and money doing market research, analyzing sales data and talking to current and prospective customers about what they want in a car.
A manual is not something they want. It is what you want, and what I want, but the people signing the $200,000 checks have little to no interest in the purity and tactile supremacy of a clutch pedal and a gated manual shifter. Therefore, Audi has decided not to offer one, sparing them tens of millions in costs, regulatory headaches, fewer combinations that complicate the assembly process and three-pedal versions that sit on dealer lots collecting dust. It’s not a difficult decision to understand, but our ego is designed to protect us from thinking that we are somehow less important to Audi than the (very wealthy) customers who are supporting the brand by actually purchasing their products.
And yet, this writer begs to differ. On what grounds? Because it’s cool? Because it’s a shame to see the manual die out? Because you think they should. Sorry, but in the world of ROI and P&L statements (which make a car company stay in business), those reasons are less than worthless. If you don’t live and die by that line of thinking, then you’re Lotus, barely existing despite doing everything right in the eyes of the enthusiast.
The entitlement that comes with thinking that a particular car or variant thereof should simply exist for the sake of it is something I can’t wrap my head around. Whether a car that you’ll never ever buy has two pedals or three, a stick shift or paddles has literally zero impact on your daily life. There’s a good chance that you will never even see a 2016 Audi R8 on the road, depending on what part of the country you live in. And yet every time a new car is released without a manual, we have people rending their garments over this matter.
There is literally only one way to ensure the continued existence of the manual transmission. You have to buy new cars with manual transmissions. Car companies, like people, respond to incentives. Increased sales of manual transmissions in new vehicles (not used) is an incentive for them to offer more. Whining about their demise is not. We are not entitled to anything in this world, let alone an unpopular, costly (for the car maker) option that by all rights should have disappeared long ago.
So why not reward the people who are still doing God’s work and offering you three pedals and a real stick shift (and I really do mean that, because all of the product planners I know do their best to make the case to management for offering a manual, even if it means sticking their neck out)? Bark did. Jack did. I did. Do your part. Vote with your wallet. Here’s a list of cars that offer one, and there is still a manual option to fit every conceivable need. If everyone that complained about a lack of manuals actually bought a new car with a manual, we’d be like Europe. If you have no intention of buying a new car with a manual transmission, then you have lost your right to complain.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
I like manuals better

Hi `Tadd, thanks for your post. What vehicles in the past have you had with manuals ?

Member's, post the ones that you've owned ?

In the above list there is a popular American Model that wasn't contained (?) Did anyone else notice ? Several Member's own that model (?)...Lets see who get's it ?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:14 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike

Hi `Tadd, thanks for your post. What vehicles in the past have you had with manuals ?

Member's, post the ones that you've owned ?

In the above list there is a popular American Model that wasn't contained (?) Did anyone else notice ? Several Member's own that model (?)...Lets see who get's it ?
Well,

1962 Comet
1964 1/2 Mustang (289)
1968 Mustang convertible (289)
1993 Camaro Z28
1972 Mazda RX7

where my manual transmission cars

Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM

Thanks `Tadd for your reply. Which one do you wish that you still had ?

What modern day vehicle with stick would you want now ?

Do you wish your `Deuce was a 6 speed stick ?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
Thanks `Tadd for your reply. Which one do you wish that you still had ?

What modern day vehicle with stick would you want now ?

Do you wish your `Deuce was a 6 speed stick ?
I wish i had that 68 Mustang convertible it was a sweet fun car
Modern day car? Wish I had a Vette LOL

Oh ya often wish the Deuce was a stick and RWD

Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Thanks `Tadd for your reply & sharing \
Below is one 2 dream about
Would U trade your `Deuce 4 it ? WHAT

$28,900

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...michigan-48512

Old 04-16-2015, 09:27 AM