Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Car i want to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking Car i want to get

NEW car i am working on a deal to get this spring....what do you guys think...he wants 22,000

get-attachment.jpg[/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails Car i want to get-get-attachment.jpg  
Old 01-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

22 grand could be better spent... i don't mean to offend... you could build one for that price tag if you have the skill

Old 01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member

no way you could rebuild a 1929 ford roadster for under 20,000.....at least i couldnt see it unless you did all the work yourself and i am selling my 85 vette for 8,000

Old 01-07-2010, 12:39 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Depends if you have a gf/ wife willing to dress the part

Old 01-07-2010, 06:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I'm not up on old iron, but if I were to buy some old iron, it'd have a flathead in it, but then that's me. Not a fan of SBC. Everyone has one.
But it's a good looking car, and if the price is fair, go for it. Just not my style, as I said.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Question Have you driven it ? How does it Run ?

It's your $'s & your Dream
If you can afford `it, I would buy your dream.
Some toys are more expensive then others.
It pays 2 do your homework, b-4 you sign your check
or depart with your cash.
Do you know the owner/builder and how it was built ?
How it was driven ?
Good Luck & let us know what you decide.
I know I'd love 2 drive it
4 Real ~>Sure

Old 01-07-2010, 09:11 AM

I would look and see what it would cost for you to buy and build vs just buying. As you said unless you do it all yourself I doubt you could build it for under 20k. If you did all the work then maybe 12-17k, just guessing. My dad bought a 35 roadster, with a 350 for 35k finished.

Like space said if it is what you have dreamed about then I so go for it.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:23 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

It would require a lot of engineering and just general know how. You'd have to have several hundred dollars worth of tools alone (an air cut off, air files, air sanders, paint guns, welders), and lots of skills. For one, those cars weren't meant to have big V8's when they were built. You may have to do some cutting, welding, and bondoing on the inside fenders. You'd have to figure out a set of frame mounts that will let the engine sit in the car at all. You may have to push the metal out around the transmission if you go to big on that as well, you might want to swap out the rear end for a 5"... then you'll have to fix all the tents, you'll need a dent puller, the skill and know how to do bondo... If you want to build any fender flares or anything, you need to know how to work with bondo. If any holes are rusted out in the floor, you'll either need to fiberglass them in, or weld a patch over them, if it's rusted out too bad, you'll ahve to weld in a whole floorpan or even a whole floor! If it was ever in a wreck, you'll have a ton of fun getting the fit and finish right on something like that.

Then there is the issue of hooking up power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning on a car that never had that stuff originally. The stock wiring will be inadequate except for headlights and wipers, you'll have to run all the electricals to run an A/C if you choose to have one, then I don't know what you may have to do about the oil pressure, water temp, and volt gauges. Those cars were originally 6 volt systems, and now we run 12 volts, so there is all the conversion involved in that. Getting a paint job alone is several grand if you don't have the tools and the knowledge to do it yourself.

..... just off the top of my head If I lived closer to Connecticut, I'd be happy to help you out in all the ways that I can. But I live in NC!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

That looks worth every bit of $22K. Offer $20K and hope he bites.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Guys. You're forgetting some majorr stuff here.

"IF" you were to build a car similar...........
1. the bodies are already produced.
2. any frame combination you can think of are produced.
3. a lot of the car owners run crate engines. (already produced. same for the transmissions/rear ends)
4. wheels/tires. (what floats your boat? it's out there)
5. interior kits. (produced)
6. steering, brakes, wiring.... (yep, kits produced)
7. any chrome (guess what?)

So sure you "Could" have over $20,000 in just building one of these. And the tools needed would be basic.

The more involved tools needed would be when you start doing custom work to the body or frame. And keep in mind a lot of these cars are build by bartering. You help some guy work in his car, he gives you any left over pieces he has from the build as payment and so on.

Quick Reply: Car i want to get