Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Camaro outsells the Mustang!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Camaro outsells the Mustang!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/chevrole...-16-years.html

It seems that Camaro lovers are stocking up!! For the first time in 16 years, the Camaro outsold the Crapstang. Although, I will say this is probably due to Chevrolet enthusiasts being without a pony car to buy for about 7-8 years and the Mustang sitting nearly unchallenged for so long. In economics, that creates inefficiencies, and it looks like Chevy proved it. The V6 in that car can run with (but not quite outrun) Ford's V8. Now Ford is paying hte price.

I think the Mustang may have been staying up top because Ford only has one REAL performacne car now. The Ford Taurus SHO in the sedan category, but Chevrolet has had the Corvette for much longer than their Camaro, and Chevy guys have always had 2 performance cars to chose from... Ford guys: only 1.

What od you think guys, can Chevy stay up top?

Old 06-08-2010, 09:32 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Maybe until 2011 when Ford brings out the new power plants for the V-6 & V-8. 2010 Mustangs were a total waste - they should have waited till 2011 with the new cosmetic change to the body.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
they should have waited till 2011 with the new cosmetic change to the body.
Very well said there.

I dont think they are gonna stay on top for that long as far as what you're talking about. Chevy still has the vette and that doesnt seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. But, I have a feeling, the mustang is gonna come out with a similar engine as the sho but I think its gonna be a V8 with a single turbo or possibly a supercharger. Now, there is no reason for this "thinking" of mine, its just a feeling that me and some friends were talking about a few days ago. We're very interested in what ford is gonna do next as far as their next perfomance engine. Just to say it again, I have a VERY strong feeling that ford is gonna come out with a turbo'd V8 for the mustang. And there is a hint of thought, the sho might have this engine as well. I know it sounds like a babble session here, but I just wanted to get that out. And, I might be completely bombing on this also... Whos knows? Sorry to be so repetetive but I think ford is gonna come out with something HUGE as there next perfomance engine.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Just think of the possibilities with the new eco boost V-6 that they have in the Taurus SHO and will be using the same power plant in the new police cruisers. If they drop one of those bad boys into a Mustang - it will scream!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:11 PM

5 Year Member

The 4.6 had about a 16 year run... looks like it might draw to a close. Ford can't just let the Camaro spank them but so badly. They were talking about a new 5.0 (not the same 5.0 from the 80's by a long shot) to put out like 430 hp at one point... a new 5.0 Mustang to run with the Chebie maybe?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 PM

Im thinking 5.0 turbo'd?????? Maybe supercharged?? Just maybe, like I said before.

Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

This 5.0L that ford has for the '11 Mustang has TONS of future built into it. I'm waiting for the direct injection to come out in it. THEN you'll see things happen! Give them a couple of years to get the engineering done. That 400+hp was just for beginners. They all ready know how to twin turbo a V6. Next will be this Mustang with a 5.0L twin turbo setup, and direct injection FROM THE FACTORY! THEN turn up the screws. Can we say 700+hp with just a tune?
THAT my friends is MY next car. Whether it's 2013 or 2015. I'll wait.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:37 AM

Hi `Duane,
Great Thread Infor ~> Go GM Stay on Top...
Thanks Duane & Member's, enjoyed reading your words/comments...
Competition is great between auto companies 4-Sure....The customer benefits 4-Real : )

`Duane, wish U a super Summer ~> EnJoy

Old 06-09-2010, 08:24 AM

5 Year Member

Well Ford's Mustang sitting for several years uncontested resulted in them keeping the same engine and leaving the horsepower relatively the same (it went from 265 to 300 in '05) When the Chevrolet and the Ford versions of the same class car are close to the same price, but the Chevrolet is putting down 100-150 more hp depending on teh package than the comparable Ford, why not!?!??

Another thing is that the Chevrolet guys have not had a pony car to chose from in 8 years. Is this burst in sales due to the Chevrolet people being deprived for so long and now there is a boost because of all those people who have wanted one for so long, but once the craze is over the Mustang may go back to #1? Or is it because Chevrolet has legitimately beat Ford?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 PM

The 2011 Mustang lineup is out, at dealerships right now, and absolutely shreds the Camaro in every aspect.

According to the mags (Motortrend):

Base V6 Mustang - 3.7L DOHC V6, 305 HP, 13.7@102 in the quarter mile, 0-60 in 5.1, and 31 highway MPG. (This is faster than LS1 Camaro Z28s they tested)

Mustang GT - 5.0L V8, 412 HP (RATED, actually is showing to make quite a bit more- been rolling 395ish at the wheels), 12.7@110 in the quarter mile, 0-60 in 4.3

....all in a package that's lighter, more nimble, and handles and brakes better than the Camaro. The car mags are absolutely gushing over it. Guys have already gone 10s in the 2011 GT and it's been on sale at dealerships for less than 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Camaro outsells the Mustang!