Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Build Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 01:55 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Build Perspective

I'm thinking of building my newest toy like a buddies car?
Both cars are '57 210 2-door Sedans. Mine just happens to be the somewhat "rarer" DelRay version that Chevy made 25,000 of.

Why am I planning this? For one it will be a simple build. Low cost. I have a lot of the parts already.
I will need paint which I'm considering using the John Deere black they use on tractors and the like. It's still relatively cheap paint and I'm almost certain a local TSC can supply the paint?
His car has aluminum slotted mags that I just happen to have a set I've had for 25 years now. They even have new tires on them.
Under the hood of his car is a 350 small block with a Muncie 4-speed. I have a 350 out of a '79 Camaro waiting to go in my car and one of the things I did get with the car was a Muncie 4-speed.
My car has black interior like his car and Summit can supply an aftermarket hood scoop. Unlike his car which has an L88 scoop like Vettes got I'm planning on a 4" cowl induction scoop (cause I like them alot).

So what does every think of my plans?

(his car is the flat black '57 setting on the right)

(my latest toy)

Old 09-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Build Perspective

sounds good to me, i'd like to see teh finished product

Old 09-30-2007, 04:24 PM

all i can say is.........

GIT R DONE

Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM

[rant] When did flat black become this new "cool" paint job. I've been seeing it pop up all of a sudden and I can't stand it. - nothing personal against your friend RJ - but to me all it does is hides imperfections and anytime I see it the flat black screams a car with poor craftsmanship.

The darn thing could have won the Riddler Award and if it was painted flat black I would assume it was a someone hiding problems in the car. [/rant]

As for the project it looks like a good time. Most of the trim is there and it looks complete. Looks like a lot of sheet metal and rust work.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:43 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Kind of like the "Rat Rod" fad right now. I am getting SO sick of new built rat rods. It's nothing more then some quick buckers looking to make a handful of fast money.

The older guys I talk with say there weren't any rat rods back years ago.

I know when I was a teen into my 20s a "Hot Rod" was a car with aftermarket wheels, a manual transmission, air shocks, traction bars, headers, more then not black interior, and a good paint job was optional. And most your buddies loved your car.

One thing I am not going with flat black paint on my car. It will not be gloss either. A Satin and/or Semi-gloss paint is what I want.
My decision is based on what I've read & been told about the sun (UV) affecting flat black paint. It becomes chalky and if it's touched it comes off on whatever touched it.

Something else is this is just a means of finally getting the car on the road and "Presentable" for a time. I got the car 3 years ago Oct 27 and so far I haven't done much with it. (embarressed to say)

My g/f Deb & I were kicking this idea around one night while talking about my buddy Dan's car and up to now sounds like a workable plan that I can live with.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Flat paint jobs have always been popular amongst "streetfighter" bikes and rods.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:46 AM

Hmmm.. How about something like a plum crazy, or even a dark forest green metallic?

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Well.......... not plum but I already have two cars that are pink.
(okay, no laughing)

The cars are painted '57 Chevy Dusk Pearl which is a kind of pink with purple mixed in.

I actually have plans to paint to car yellow like Popular Hotrodding's Project-X '57 Chevy. I want to build somewhat a Project-X clone.

But right now funds are kind of short for the 502 big block to stick under the hood.

I happen to think I can even use the old carpet out of my Wagon to use in this car for now. So there's a few more bucks saved.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:56 AM
rj
15 Year Member

How did this double post?

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 PM

Pink? [sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=smiley36.gif][sm=laughat.gif]

Quick Reply: Build Perspective