Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

The Bronco

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default The Bronco

We've never bothered to call it anything other the "The Bronco". The Bronco is a '95 Bronco XL, which is actually my wifes (just like the BudChev is). She doesn't drive it anymore, but has owned it for ten years. She originally bought it in Vancouver - she was the second owner. It had been owned by the cable company out there and was actually a service vehicle and was painted red. When she bought it it had nearly 200,000 km on it already even though it was only five years old. Eventually she packed her life into the truck and returned here to London, Ontario.

Its been a long road for the Bronco. It now has over 300,000 kms and is a rust bucket - big holes. In the 4 years I've been with her we have never been nice to that truck and it has always been good to us. Currently I only use it as a winter beater when my BudChev is in storage. But there have been some hard winters. Other then the oil changes and gas (lots of it) the only dime I've spent on this thing in 4 years was for a cheap set of front pads (didn't even spring for rotors).

My wife is ready to scrap the thing, but why the hell would I do that? I don't know how she has failed to bond with it more in 10 years. Its not worth anything to sell, and how could I replace it? I'm not giving up on it.
These next 10 years are mine...

I entered this pic in the MemberCalendars.com contest, but interest in the Bronco calendar was low, so there was none.
That's actually a good photo, but a year or 2 old. It looks like this now:

Its in the body shop for restoration now - it been in there for a couple of weeks. New everything - color change too. And I'll be sure to post lots of pic afterwards

Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

After picture maybe? Minus the Lambo doors.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
After picture maybe? Minus the Lambo doors.

No, that's it. With the Lambo doors. Not.

Damn, thats a cool one! Really is going to steal my thunder when it actually is unveiled!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JuniorCar

Damn, thats a cool one! Really is going to steal my thunder when it actually is unveiled!
LOL `Brent, I am sure that you will create your own Thunder 4-Sure : )~*
I like your Bronco & I think it's great that U have it to drive in bad weather 4-Sure...

Will be looking forward to your finished product from the shop...Hope it's not 2 nice 2 drive in the bad winter weather
When do you get it back ? Hope soon : )

Attached Thumbnails The Bronco-sdc15195.jpg  
Old 11-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

dang, i guess ontario likes a little road with their salt! stuff that bad usually gets put out to pasture around here, i give ya credit for saving it, cant wait to see the after pics!

Old 11-21-2010, 04:04 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Paint job idea time!!

Cant wait for pics though.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar

Sorry Brent.

You know, besides the Lambo doors and lift kit, that Bronco simply has a gloss black paint job, some GTS headlight covers, a billet grill available on the internet, and the stock wheels and bumper painted black to match the body.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Good luck with your project! Can't wait to see pics! Oh yeah, and get some Mickey Thompson tires!

Old 12-18-2010, 12:52 PM

15 Year Member

Just thought I'd briefly update this thread. No pics yet... sorry

Catastrophy struck during painting. In Canada, solvent based paint has been fazed out (and illegal now) so we got this "waterbourne" stuff that is way too expensive. Anyways, between the base and clear coats the paint was horribly contaminated and needs to be striped and redone. This is not my expense. But it was $500 into the crapper, so the body shop will not be making money off me. But I won't likely get the truck back until after Christmas, which is too bad since it has been snowing like a MF'er here and I could use a 4x4 right about now. The truck has been in the shop for 6 weeks now - way longer then anticipated and my body guy admits he has bitten off way more then he can chew. But it's still going to happen one day...

Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most of htat was just surface rust and will buff right off. We're going to waterborne paints in 2012. I don't know what that will entail, except costs. Heck, if you're going back red, good luck to you, because reds are about the most expensvie paints there are.

My dad hates base/clear because of the stages. Dust, dirt, and the so called "contaminates" you speak of can screw up a paint job where as with old acrylics and lacquers, you were done after about 5 coats of one paint!