Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

BluRay DVD

Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default BluRay DVD

Just saw on the news tonight that Warner Brothers has announced it will not be releasing movies on HD-DVD anymore, only Blu-Ray.

So called experts are saying that the Blu-Ray / HD-DVD war should be pretty much decided in the next few months. With Blu-Ray expecting to win.

Anybody here wish it went the other way?

Personally, I've been avoiding buying either one because I didn't want to get stuck with a bunch of useless, brand new equipment. Like so many did in years past with 8-track tapes, or BetaMax VCR's.

What do yall think?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Default RE: BluRay DVD

I've been waiting as well. I think Bluray has had more support all along. It's looking like Universal and Paramount are going to go Bluray only too.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6184567...p;subj=6184567

Old 01-18-2008, 08:20 PM

here is my take

I think it sux. they are bascally saying ok you have had your stuff long enough so now were going to force you to get a new one.

The thing is we recently bought one while over in Germany still so were now going to have to get yet another one to play any of the new movies comming out. So Tell me this dont suck

we have a useless machine her eint eh next few years/montsh etc... and we will still ahve to get a new one to continue to play the new stuff comming out.
And i have yet to hear if it will even play the old DVD's we have a book shelf full of sitting here.

And yes taz im wiht you on this whole thing also. we had a frend of the family think Betamax was the Q$@# he wishes now he could take those coments back when we all get to geatehr we ask him how the beta market is doing LOL

Old 01-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I too havelots of DVDs. It ticks me off how we're expected to re-purchase all our audio and video recordings so often. Then the industry is ticked off because people are downloading stuff for free.

If you started your video collection on VHS, you were expected to re-purchaseeverything on DVD, now you're expected tore-purchase everything on Bluray. Withthe capacity of compactflash cards increasing so much, it's only a matter of time before the newestthing will be tobuy all your movies on compact flash cards. Everyone would have a compact flash player instead of a DVD.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM

some of us arent with the times.... some of us dont even have a hdtv... some of us waited to buy a dvd player when there wasnt even competition in the format... but since there is competion in the format i havent wanted to get into the mess, and i'm thinking there is alot of people feeling this way. if the 2 competing companies behind the 2 formats could of made some sort of deal, and killed one format in the early going everyone would be buying up hd/bluerays by now making somebody very wealthy....

it wouldnt surprize me if they already missed the boat. how many years away is the next format? imagine something like taz's idea, i think of a movie on a jump drive, sounds alot better to me than a glorified dvd. you wouldnt have scratches, they could be stored in less space than dvd cases, and player...what player, the equipment could be integrated into a tv and be nothing more than a usb port to plug it into.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:14 AM

Idont know why they are leaning towards the Blu-ray as HD players are cheaper. Sounds like Sony is throwing money at these studios to force in the Blu-ray. I would think it would go the way of beta as that was also more expensive. I bought a HD player 3 months ago and love the image I recieve on my HDTV. Would really suck to have this player and not be able to get movies for it anymore.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:39 AM

I agree with everybody, that totally sucks, but you should never go against whatever Sony does. As THE leader in audio/video technology, whatever Sony decides to do pretty much becomes the standard.
For those who don't know, Sony was the first company to switch to digital format, introducing the Discman well before anybody else came out with CD players. This is one reason I like Sony products and pretty much stick with them. Their customer support is excellent, too. When they had issues with the TV model that I bought, they sent a guy out to install new software on it and make sure everything worked right, at no cost to me.I don't know of another company that does this.
I can't speak for any othergame systemout there, but this is one reason I bought a PS3. It plays just about anything you throw into it, (except for HD-DVD), burned cd's and dvd's, Blu-Ray discs,and every game made for all the Playstation systems, so you don't have to buy replacement games, either. It also upconverts standard DVD's from 480p to 1080, amongst other things. I'm not sure if it plays CD-Rom computer games, but now that I think about it, I'll try to play one in it later.
If I was going to buy a stand alone player, I would buy one that plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. However, I wouldn't be happy that the HD-DVD folks are so willing to throw in the towel on this.

Old 01-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Hold On Boys...

I just read that most Blu-ray Players will play CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray format... with that said... I also saw the price on those Players were $750+

Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 AM

[align=center]It just amazes me how much one can learn on the MCF.[/align][align=center]I didn't even know what a Blu Ray was until[/align][align=center]I read this post. I only have a 10 B&W TV with[/align][align=center]rabbit ears....All you Rich people$with Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]and Big Screen TV's with cable : ) [8D][/align][align=center]Thanks for giving me another dream, and a reason[/align][align=center]to keep working towards my dreams : )[/align][align=center]Below is a few Blu Ray's I found during research [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
Shopping Results for Blu Ray Players - shopping.aol.com

Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray Disc Pla... [/align]
$323.50 - $449.99
[align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray DVD Player
[align=center][/align]
$299.99 - $449.99
[align=center][/align]

Panasonic DMP-BD30K Blu-ray Disc ...
[align=center][/align]
$408.98 - $499.99
[align=center][/align]
See more results ยป
[/align][/align]

Old 01-19-2008, 10:51 AM

well im glad considering i got a ps3 that plays blu-ray,which i use it often for that.i only have standard dvd's no blu-ray (very expensive) but it has a upconverter in the ps3 which is good for now.looks great on my hd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BluRay DVD