Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bitcoins?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bitcoins?

Has anyone else noticed bitcoins popping up in the news lately? Its a new type of currency, but its digital and its shooting up in value lately. 30 days ago 1 bitcoin = $54.40 and as of recently 1 bitcoin = 87.40. I've been thinking about buying a few bitcoins and maybe making some money, but its a gamble. Anyone else heard of this or interested in getting some bitcoins?

Bitcoin: Cyprus Sparks Scramble for Digital Dollars - Yahoo! Finance

Old 11-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Should have done this when you mentioned it Keane........

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
You ever miss out on an oporitunity? Last year before I left for basic I invested in a online currency that was a 7:1 exhange rate with the american dollar. I bought 50 BTC as they were called for $350. After a discussion with my dad about investing he said that I would be gone for a year amd the currency would likely flop by then and I should put the money twords school. I sold all (or almost all not sure still have to check my account) the btc for a $20 proffit. That was november 1st last year. November 1st of this year bit coin reached an exchange rate 710:1 against the American dollar (or 590:1 for the euro) in other words. I just lost $35,000. I could have completed all my dreams for my monte! oh well, oporitunity lost. Guess ill have to get money the old fashioned way.

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Evening all. Still watching the digital curencies market. Bit coin now at $1000 each. I think this will revolutionize money, and I was saying that when it was $7 each.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Hi `Keane & `Chris,
Investing is a gamble, but the bitcoin's maybe the future..

Can't win `if you don't play..., but can you afford to lose ? I only gamble when I know that I can afford or accept the loses... I just suggest to do your homework & keep up on the direction of the market..

My boss/owner got in at the beginning & has done very well.... He's great at picking winner's, but he's had his share of loses...

Good Luck `if you invest 4-$ure..

p.s. `Chris, good 2 see you online..
Happy Thanksgiving to you & `All

Old 11-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

If you have the money that you can afford to lose if for some reason or the other the bottom falls out right after you purchase, then I say go for it if you can. You could make some serious money rather quickly by the look of how the prices have been going up like that. Problem is when this happens it usually drops out rather quickly at some point (keep in mind I am not an investment banker of any way shape or form so all my knowledge is self taught, and I am not living on a yacht in the carribean and I don't own an 8 car garage ) but people can and do make a lot of money in trades such as this

Old 11-27-2013, 11:17 PM
5 Year Member

I know Chris, I was talking about this earlier, some major money lost.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
I know Chris, I was talking about this earlier, some major money lost.
I expect it to top off about three grand. Depending on how the rest of thw world governments accept it and weather or not the theifts continou (good for the currency believe it or not. People believe in something you can steal!) I expexct an actual value greater than $200 and less than $1500. When all is said and done. Did some looking around to see what my missed $50,000 could have gotten me and needless to say I'm sad I made the mistake of pulling out my money. My whole family and friends all invested several thousand in iraqi dinar when I told them to atleast put a grand in bitcoin. Dinar could still play out but with...ehem... the president In office an trusted currency in iraq does not apear likely. But hey, its really pretty paper! But I found my wallet had some minore transactions pending and it equaled out to 5 bit cents. So $50. Here's hoping they jump another 4000% hahaha. The original buyers of bit coin are rich no but when it was 2 cents each their wasn't that much available. Their is only about 130k bitcoin (may be wrong, fact check me) right now so its not making overnight billionaires but its puting a sizable chunk of change into peoples pockets. And its a sellers market, goodluck buying a bit coin right now. They are locked down tight. If the value remains astronomic what you will probably see is moving the standard denomination down to the bit cent or .10 (currently worth $10) you never know with things like this but this time I can say I knew and was in on the ground floor! Just got out too early.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Should have done this when you mentioned it Keane........
Hey someone reads my posts! Haha.

And space, how many btc did your boss have his hands on? Do you know if he's holding on to them or selling now? I'd sell a few here and their so as not to let the market drop.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:37 AM

Yeah dude, they jumped up to over $1,000 a piece....I can't believe it. They make the underground internet, the deep web, go 'round.

Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
Yeah dude, they jumped up to over $1,000 a piece....I can't believe it. They make the underground internet, the deep web, go 'round.
Silk road was A big time market for bitcoin, its down now but still alot of sights out their taking it for black market. But thats the dirty side of Bit Coin, the positive is a Money that is exactly worth What we the people decide its worth, and its worth something beacuse its secure and IMPOSSIBLE to fake. well maybe not impossible but so much so that people can STEAL it. The American Dollar is no longer based on gold, fort knox could be empty (not a conspiracy theorist just sayin) the Euro is a false currency that is held together by the like of a conglomerate as successful as the League Of Nations. Their are talks of the Iraqi Dinar exceeding the U.S's currency. We are $17,000,000,000,000 in debt and they pay that by borrowing more money and printing more to pay off the interest. The governing Bodies Continue to spend a WAR TIME budget during a time in which the millitary has been drasticly cut and operations are nothing compared to 2004-2008. Sorry ill get off my soapbox now but the Currencies of the world had this low blow coming.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member

My wallet has some stupid small amount of money in it, like 0.00003 or something lol