Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Biggest gripe about 5th gen Montes.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Never really noticed the squared off wheel wells. Never really cared either. I like the 5th gens regardless. And as already pointed out, GM has squared off the wheel wells on many cars over the years. Don't forget the rear wheel well skirts that were popular decades ago. That covered up half the wheel.

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Never been asked if mine was a Lumina... Mustang though, yeah... More frequently then I'd like...

The wheel well thing doesn't bother me, 5th gens don't need them rounded
Now I have noticed the Mustang thing. The front grill and headlight set up looks like a late 90's 'stang.

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
Keane, I took these the night I had the winter tires and wheels put on.. First pic has a little smoke added for special effects.....

I love the cigarettes on the ground, you added to the second picture for effect.

But seriously...

Yes, the 5th gen Montes share some similarities to the Lumina. Enough similarities that 5th gen websites include Luminas. Yes there are people who mistake 5th gens for Luminas. So what? Those are the same people who think a 2006/07 Monte is a two door Impala.

Not everyone is an expert on every model of car. If someone is complimenting you on your nice looking Lumina, take the compliment.

If a 5th gen owner is offended by being called a Lumina, I can tell you from personal experience, there are worse. I've had people who never met me before call me a stupid redneck when they saw my Dale Jr edition. Hell, there's even an auto forum that copied and pasted one of my Cardomain pictures into there forum. Members posted redneck comments about it. I'm sure many Intimidator edition and Jeff Gordon edition owners get the same.

Even 4th gen Montes get called an Olds Cutlass, Pontiac GP, El Camino, etc, by those who don't know better.

It's our job as an enthusiast to better inform these people.

This is not an angry rant. Just saying, is all.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:11 PM

It happens all the time with my 1995 Lumina. It has the Z34 bumper, emblems, wheels, spoiler, and monte carlo trunk panel. All the time people say "I like your monte carlo, I own a 5th gen Monte as well and they are almost indentical.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Now thats interesting that people call your lumina a monte, good looking lumina though

Old 05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Someone actually called your Lumina a Monte? What a great compliment. Thanks for posting a pic of your Lumina. Looks like the rear bumper could use a good buffing. But other than that, you keep it in nice shape.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool lumina It looks like you have quite a few mods going on.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 AM

I wish all it needed was a buffing, it needs to be painted and I haven't done it. Sad part is I work in a large collision center. Go figure. It was totaled in 08. Belonged to my grandma, and the Monte we have was bought to replace it. I like the design cues of the Monte better, hence why I used parts. The monte carlo had 75,000 when we got it, and is an LS without power seat, no keyless, or trunk release. Just bucket seats, Delco premium sound, and 16" aluminum wheels. The Lumina is an LS with bucket seats, power trunk release, power seat, and keyless entry, (Had 15" upgrade wheelcovers when new). Heres the monte.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

I like the 5th gens. They have the classic 90's curves that was popular in the 90's. The 80's cars were predominantly squared off with sharply defined edges and corners. The 90's brought us cars were it was really hard to find a staight edge or sharp corner in the body lines. Around here, most 5th gen Montes were red. Most of the Luminas seemed to be blue however.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like the wheel well design.. Like mentioned before. it gives it a nice "stance"......

Of course when i originally bought mine, I immediately did the full body kit....And since its a Z-34 model all the body emblems and trim are blacked out...I would have people come up to me at car shows and ask: What kinda car is this? (even though it says Monte Carlo on the sides) LOL

Fortunately noone has ever mistaken mine for a lumina.......

I may just be putting it up for sale soon though....Even though its the mrs daily driver now....According to her...She wants a "new" car (truck_to drive....

She wants to trade it in...But i will never get a good price as a trade in..
If we do end up getting another Vehicle....I would rather sell it to someone whod appreciate it for what it is..It has all the bells and whistles they offered in 1999....Along with a "KILLER" sound system....(all MTX)

Everything still works..remote start...keyless entry... amongst many others...goodies..

Personally....I DO NOT want to part with it....

I LOVE MY MONTE!!!!!!

Last edited by STUMPMI; 05-30-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
Never been asked if mine was a Lumina... Mustang though, yeah... More frequently then I'd like...
You too? I get the same thing.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
You too? I get the same thing.
Yes sir. Then I point to the side of the car, where it says "MONTE CARLO".

Quick Reply: Biggest gripe about 5th gen Montes.....