Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Big changes coming down the pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:22 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Big changes coming down the pipe!

Just wanted to let y'all know of some big changes coming for me, specifically dealing with my military career.

To start off, I've been a Sergeant for just over 4 years now. I just completed a course that I'm actually not required to complete till I'm a Staff Sergeant (SSG or E6). After I finished that course, my supervisor (SSG Duncan, who is the one who actually runs the supply cage in my unit and is a rank above me) suggested that I transfer to a different unit within the squadron and take over my own supply cage so that I can get promoted to E6. A few days before drill last weekend, we found out that E (or Echo in the phonetic alphabet) Troop's supply sergeant just retired. So my supervisor suggested Echo specifically and we decided to talk with Top and our S-4 officer about it first thing Saturday morning when we arrived at Squadron headquarters for duty.

So when we got there, he sent me off to do some other stuff and went to talk with them himself. He's the most experienced supply guy in the squadron and he has a lot of pull within our command structure. He explained to them that it was time for me to take over my own supply cage and get promoted to E6. Our S-4 officer (CPT Kendall) has known me for a long time and he and Top both agreed. CPT Kendall came to me and brought up the subject and mentioned to me that he was all for it. Then a little while later, Top pulled me off to the side and asked if that's what I wanted. I told him yes, that I needed to do it to get my 6 and he said that's what he needed to know.

From that point, word spread quickly as apparently Echo's 1SG spoke with some of his guys who know me and throughout Sunday several of my buddies from that unit mentioned that they heard I was coming to them. That evening, one of the guys who I know very well explained to me what was going on and the issues that would need to be addressed.

Monday, CPT Kendall let me know that the paperwork was done and would be approved next drill (first weekend of June). Since I already have orders to go to Fort Benning with my current unit for two weeks in July, my first drill with Echo will be in August. I spoke briefly with Echo's 1SG before we were released Monday and also spoke with the E4 who is currently in Supply there (who will be my supply clerk there). I will be talking to both a good deal in the next two and a half months before I officially take over so that once there I can hit the ground running.

This is the opportunity I've been waiting for, and with me having completed ALC already will make it highly likely that I will get promoted to Staff Sergeant at the end of the year. Next drill will be my last with my current unit, so it will be a bittersweet moment. But as is said in the song "Closing Time," every new beginning is from some other beginning's end.

So that's what's going on with me. Definitely a big change and a great opportunity for me.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:41 AM

Congratulations

------Staff Sergeant Drew ------

Hi Drew, I never heard that expressions before "Coming down the pipe or pike"...I keep learning on the MCF 4-Sure
<H3 class=r>
</H3>

Last edited by Space; 05-23-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on your promotion!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

BIG congratulations!!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

CONGRATULATIONS DREW. Hard work always pays off Just by reading your posts each day. You can tell your the man that wants things done right. And isn't scared to work at it. Hope the pay grade helps out also. GOOD LUCK. And THANK YOU for what you do. Rick

Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is really cool man. Congrats.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks guys. The promotion isn't official, it's just highly likely, especially with me taking this position in advance. The board won't convene till December so it'll be sometime after that when I actually get pinned.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Congrats on the promotion!

Old 05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Great news, how old are you? Nice to get promoted ahead of schedule, especially if your not on the primary E6 list, but on the secondary. Do your best and remember the old saying, especially since you will be running your own supply room. "I walk my post from flank to flank and won't take no crap off any rank!". Hope they let you have it, are you active or in the guard or reserve??

Old 05-23-2012, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member

I'm Reserves now. 25 years old. Young but I enlisted when I was 17 so despite my age I'm one of the more experienced junior NCOs. I've had my E5 for 4 years now but I was waiting on time in service to catch up. I've had the time in grade for 2 1/2 years now but just last year finally met the Primary Zone TIS requirement. I ran my own supply cage on Active Duty for a year and so I know better than take crap from rank. I've even kicked my share of LTs out of my supply room before.

Quick Reply: Big changes coming down the pipe!