Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bi-Monthly Themed Photo Contest "Barns"

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 12:11 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Bi-Monthly Themed Photo Contest "Barns"

The theme for this contest will be "Barns"

Get out there and have fun with your Monte. Use your imagination and show off your Monte next to a barn, in a barn, or in any way that involves a barn of some sort!
As usual, photos must not be more than 3 months old and no editing except cropping.
Ready, Set, GO!!!

Submissions will be accepted through next Saturday, October 15, 2016. This will give everyone a chance to get out there and find a barn that is good enough to be in a pic with their Monte!!

RULES: Bi-Monthly Themed Monte Photo Competition

The photo contest after this one will be a Halloween/Fall theme, so start planning ahead with your photos. I did say we would have a contest coming up that you could do some editing other than cropping. With the Halloween/Fall themed contest there WILL be edits allowed but the photo must still be less than 3 months old. Get your creativeness flowing!!!

Old 10-05-2016, 05:36 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default My 02 Monte at the Riggin Road Brick Dairy Barn

Here is my submission. It is taken in front of the locally famous Riggin Road Brick Dairy Barn. They also have a Brick Barn Festival every year. Click-->Riggin Brick Barn Fest - Home

Attached Thumbnails Bi-Monthly Themed Photo Contest "Barns"-barn1.jpg  
Old 10-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Looks great Barb!

For the life of me, I can't remember where that barn was I wanted to photo. In my travels, probably while out photoing, I saw some wicked cool looking one and I remember thinking to myself to not to forget this one. I knew "Barns" was gonna come up sooner of latter. But I can't remember where it is or why I didn't just take the photo then. Dang it!

Old 10-06-2016, 03:38 PM

15 Year Member

Well...

I drove around rural London-Middlesex for over an hour and couldn't find that barn. I feel kinda stupid. Anyways, I got a couple of decent barn pics anyways and have them uploaded. Ironically, todays pics would have rocked the "Shine" challenge that I missed. I haven't chosen a pic to submit yet and won't until the deadline is near. Maybe I'll remember that barn before then and still have time to take the photo.

But we will have a competition here....

Old 10-06-2016, 04:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I'll submit this one

posted two today, but the carriage won me over on this one

Old 10-07-2016, 09:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Well...

I drove around rural London-Middlesex for over an hour and couldn't find that barn. I feel kinda stupid. Anyways, I got a couple of decent barn pics anyways and have them uploaded. Ironically, todays pics would have rocked the "Shine" challenge that I missed. I haven't chosen a pic to submit yet and won't until the deadline is near. Maybe I'll remember that barn before then and still have time to take the photo.

But we will have a competition here....
It's hard to remember all those spots for sure, here is a little trick you can use.
Select the google maps and a location you are familiar with. Now select the Satellite view, then start hunting for your Barn. When you think you have found it, select the little guy or girl to do a road side view and see if it is there. If not keep trying till you find it.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Well the hurricane is gone and we did pretty good around here. Maybe by the deadline I can shine the Monte and sneak in some cool barn pics. We have tons of old barns here. I have a few on our farm but there are others more photogenic in the area. The barns around here are not all slick and pretty though, they are 75+ year old well used relics, a lot of them are repaired and still in use.

Last edited by GTHSS; 10-09-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:00 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
It's hard to remember all those spots for sure, here is a little trick you can use.
Select the google maps and a location you are familiar with. Now select the Satellite view, then start hunting for your Barn. When you think you have found it, select the little guy or girl to do a road side view and see if it is there. If not keep trying till you find it.
It's a good idea and probably could have saved me some time the other day, but I can't even remember which direction to go from the city now. It's not south. I looked where I thought it might be and it wasn't. I really don't think I'll find it.

Originally Posted by GTHSS
Well the hurricane is gone and we did pretty good around here. Maybe by the deadline I can shine the Monte and sneak in some cool barn pics. We have tons of old barns here. I have a few on our farm but there are others more photogenic in the area. The barns around here are not all slick and pretty though, they are 75+ year old well used relics, a lot of them are repaired and still in use.

The old ones are the best! Maybe it's terrible to say, but maybe you can find a barn with cool hurricane damage! Is it wrong or insensitive to call hurricane damage cool?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
It's a good idea and probably could have saved me some time the other day, but I can't even remember which direction to go from the city now. It's not south. I looked where I thought it might be and it wasn't. I really don't think I'll find it.

The old ones are the best! Maybe it's terrible to say, but maybe you can find a barn with cool hurricane damage! Is it wrong or insensitive to call hurricane damage cool?
Not insensitive at all! It's nostalgic! Those things happen.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Cool Well after finding several Barns in the area I chose this one

Well after finding several Barns in the area I chose this one, it has the patina and kind of makes you wonder what is in the Barn? However I didn't want to look inside it was on the other side of the fence, back about 10 years ago I took some photo's near here and there was a house nearby all abandoned.
I couldn't see the house anymore?
But the trees have over grown the area and as I pulled away I could just see one corner of the house.
Back in the day this barn may have had a Horse looking out the window.
The large door in the Gable of the Gambrel roof end is most likely the entrance to the Hay mow and there is probably a loft on both sides of the Barn and the center is open.
They would hoist up bales of hay into the barn and place them into the loft.
I would think there is probably remnants of Horses being in here a few horse shoes, a leather horse collar or so maybe some harness. Fun stuff!
Back in the 80's I used to sell and construct Metal Buildings and I can recall doing 3 Barn style buildings they are to far from here to see if they would be good subjects for photo's though.

Attached Thumbnails Bi-Monthly Themed Photo Contest "Barns"-monte-img_2534z.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 10-10-2016 at 09:01 AM. Reason: add more information