Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bi-Monthly Photo Contest "Bridges"

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member
Default Bi-Monthly Photo Contest "Bridges"

The theme for this contest will be "Bridges"

Take a picture of your Monte on a bridge, near a bridge, under a bridge, or what ever you come up with but it must have your Monte and a bridge.
Get out there and have fun with your Monte and use your imagination.
As usual, photos must not be more than 3 months old and no editing except cropping.
Ready, Set, GO!!!
Submissions will be accepted through Saturday, July 16, 2016
RULES: Bi-Monthly Themed Monte Photo Competition

Last edited by P343; 07-10-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:11 PM
Cool >Loser has to jump `off bridge ?> Oh `No > LOL > Your Turn to post<

Thanks MCF Moderator `Barbara for starting another
super MCF Picture Contest.
I hope that you get many member's to participate in this
competition...I'm looking forward to viewing and voting.

OK, who is going to be the 1st member to post their
bridged themed Chevrolet Monte Carlo (Photo/picture) ?

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-11-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I took the BudChev photoing on Sunday morning. I couldn't get the photo that I wanted to get when I came up with idea for this theme - bugger me! I have several different eligible pics that I can't decide on. I guess I'm not completely happy with any of them since it's not the photo I wanted. I'm sitting on this a bit.

I still have time to get a better pic before the Saturday deadline. I remember when we started doing these photo challenges that you had to get a photo in quick because there would be so many submissions that there wouldn't be room for more. A few times I got "locked out".

The theme seems easy enough, right? Are there any members who don't live near any bridges?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

I hoping to get mine done maybe tonight. Not sure which car I will use though....hmmm Think I may take the 84 for a little drive tonight!!

Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM
Smile >2 enjoy being U<>WoW<

Hi `Brent, Barbara & Member's,
>The Power & Imagination of the Human Mind<

I'm impressed with the intensity of thoughts/imagination that is being put into selecting and taking a picture for the MCF Bridge Scene Contest....

I'm looking forward to seeing member's submissions

Old 07-12-2016, 05:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Wouldn't is be neat if you could get your photo with the Golden Gate probably the most beautiful bridge in the USA.
However I have one. t
I have the Car sitting on the Bridge, you can look down town on this one and see at least 8 blocks for sure. This shot has great depth of field.
Took this one when I was home back 2 months ago so it fits.

Attached Thumbnails Bi-Monthly Photo Contest &quot;Bridges&quot;-img_0868abr.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-12-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-12-2016, 08:16 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by drivernumber3
Wouldn't is be neat if you could get your photo with the Golden Gate probably the most beautiful bridge in the USA...
We don't have anything like that here either. London Ontario has a bridge called the Blackfriars Bridge. I think it was constructed in 1875 - predating automotive traffic anyways. It's what they call a bowstring truss bridge and it is actually wood bottomed and was still open to cars last time I looked. But I obviously hadn't looked since August of 2013, cause they closed it to traffic then. It was the world's oldest wood bottom bridge open automobile traffic in the until then, so I don't know why they'd close it to all but pedestrian traffic now. It's still there and one of the oldest bowstring truss bridges, as it is supposed to be a poor design and most of these bridges would have been built in the 1800's and have collapsed by now.

It still looks kinda cool and since I can't use such a pic, I thought I'd tell it's story a little anyways. I do have some older, not-so-great pics of the car at the end of the bridge, but they are too old to be eligible for this contest.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
We don't have anything like that here either. London Ontario has a bridge called the Blackfriars Bridge. I think it was constructed in 1875 - predating automotive traffic anyways. It's what they call a bowstring truss bridge and it is actually wood bottomed and was still open to cars last time I looked. But I obviously hadn't looked since August of 2013, cause they closed it to traffic then. It was the world's oldest wood bottom bridge open automobile traffic in the until then, so I don't know why they'd close it to all but pedestrian traffic now. It's still there and one of the oldest bowstring truss bridges, as it is supposed to be a poor design and most of these bridges would have been built in the 1800's and have collapsed by now.

It still looks kinda cool and since I can't use such a pic, I thought I'd tell it's story a little anyways. I do have some older, not-so-great pics of the car at the end of the bridge, but they are too old to be eligible for this contest.

I found these photo's that I took from a Super 8 movie Camera back in the late 60's early 70's On the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Looks like a blue ford fairlane in front of us, the motorcycle and side car were neat because the driver had an Irish setter in the side Car with snoopy Goggle's on (they went onto the bridge when we did).
For my job I have to inspect the damage of Bridges after floods, mostly in the rural areas.

Attached Thumbnails Bi-Monthly Photo Contest &quot;Bridges&quot;-201374205131.jpg   Bi-Monthly Photo Contest &quot;Bridges&quot;-cyclesidecar.jpg   Bi-Monthly Photo Contest &quot;Bridges&quot;-20137420513.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-13-2016 at 05:07 AM. Reason: photos
Old 07-14-2016, 07:29 PM

15 Year Member

I found the right bridge! But think opposite of the Golden Gate. I had to travel 50 minutes to get there and 90 photos later, I'm really stuck to pick only one. This was probably my favorite photo shoot ever...

Old 07-14-2016, 09:19 PM

15 Year Member

I was determined to drive my car across some wood and I found it! This is The Ausable Road Bridge in Kerwood Ontario.

Name:  IMG_2851%203.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  346.3 KB

Over a hundred years old and it looks, sounds and feels it. Have you driven across something like this before? The boards are not even fastened down, just lain across. They are rotted and warped and they bounce and crackle.

I tried to capture the feeling hanging my camera phone out the window:
http://vid979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/BudChev/Mobile%20Uploads/MOV_0246.mp4

"This bridge is a Warren pony truss with riveted connections, and is composed of uncommon lightweight steel members. Less massive steel members were sometimes used on truss bridges when money was a concern, and lighter members would reduce bridge cost at the sacrifice of strength. Despite the fact that this was a budget-bridge when built, it has still stood the test of time, even with a lack of paint on it. The only thing that needs attention is the wooden deck. A sandblasting, a coat of paint and a new wooden deck would restore this bridge and keep it in service for future generations to enjoy. This bridge features latticed outriggers and large lattice railings. These railings do not feature the angle-shaped steel on the lattice that composes many Ontario bridges.

There are builder plaques on this bridge that are unusual because the wording and background on them is ceramic coating over steel plate. A number of bridges in Ontario... not all from the same bridge builder... use this unusual design instead of the most common cast iron plaque. The ceramic design was perhaps less common for a good reason: the plaques on this bridge are in horrible shape and the ceramic is all but eroded off of them. There was still enough left for to assess that this bridge was built by the Hamilton Bridge Company of Hamilton, Ontario in 190-something... the last number is totally gone. There are Jones and Laughlin brands on the steel, and the use of the name "Laughlin" rather than "Laughlins" suggests the steel dates to after 1905. This combined with the remains of the plaque suggest the bridge dates from 1906-1909."

Source: HistoricBridges.org
I had fun playing on this remote bridge and driving across it. Scared the **** out of my daughter in the back seat. Our lives probably really were in danger. But while I was stopped on the bridge shooting, a local came driving along in an big old '70 Ford Pickup. I scrambled to get back into the car and out of his way. As I pulled to the side he pulled up and assured me that I should take my time. He explained that he was a local and trying to "Save the Bridge". As he happened along he actually thanked me for enjoying the bridge! I set up on the bridge again after he left, then his mother came by in a Jeep 15 minute later and gave me the same pitch. This place was well off the beaten path along a single lane gravel road and I'm pretty sure that this was a local family who'd known that bridge for generations. It must have been the damnedest thing to happen along a Dale Jr Monte Carlo replica on it one day. I bet that never happened even once before in the bridge's 111 year existence.

I have more pics that I'll share later, but this one is my submission. I'm happy to have been part of one more story of the old Ausable Road Bridge and had a chance to share it here on The Monte Carlo Forum.