Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Bi-monthly Photo Contest "Architecture"

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 11:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Another great sky Matt! You always get these ominous skies which especial work great with the black car.

My submission is not the best photo of the car, but I don't know when I'd have a better time to share this pic:

Name:  IMG_4011%202.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  229.4 KB

Pictured with the Bud Chev here is the Lackawanna Station Hotel in beautiful downtown Scranton Pennsylvania! It was constructed in 1908 as a train station and has storied history. It was built of concrete and steel at a time they were still usually using wood and the exterior is faced with Indiana limestone with an 8-foot bronze clock on the façade. It was re-purposed as a hotel in 1983 after a major reconstruction and is said to be haunted today! My wife and I stayed there in 2013 when we went to the NASCAR race at Pocono. We didn't have any supernatural encounters, but I did see a bunny rabbit in the parking lot (got pics too, but not with the car).

Maybe it's not an award winning photo, but I enjoyed browsing the pics and re-visiting this trip.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

[QUOTE=06mistreSS;700856]I studied architecture in college as well and am currently working in the field.

When I was doing this they had not yet invented the CAD system so I had to do it old school.
One of my first projects were plans for my Bosses house and it was precast concrete tilt up walls. That was kind of fun but he was a cheap skate when it came to paying.
A few years back my daughter and son-in-law wanted to finish the basement in there house in Colorado Springs.
So I drew it all up and we went to the Building inspectors to get the plans approved. The guy asked my son in law who drew the plans and he pointed to me.
He said we never get anything like this for this kind of work. Impressive, but you can't build it like this?
He said you need floating walls. I said WHAT?
I guess because of the Mountains and the movement of the ground so I just had to redo the details. So then I built it too.

One of the koolest systems I ever worked with is when I used to Engineer and Design Truss rafters.
I would get a set of plans and design the roof and floor in a short time and then I could switch to 3d and give a tour of the inside of the home showing Vault's coffers & chases, beams etc.
Sold them a job just by doing that.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Some nice submissions here. You all rock! I do not have diddly to submit... Hopefully one day I will have it back out on the road...:no no: