Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Best paper topic ever!!! Want opinions =D

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Cool Best paper topic ever!!! Want opinions =D

Alright so I saw on my syllabus that I have a management paper due on Thursday but we hadn't talked bout it in class yet. Well on Tuesday I think it was, our teacher said we could either do contemporary management tactics (or something like that) or we could do the You-Make-the-Call problems at the end of Chapter 3...well I chose the questions but I've decided to make it into a paper format so to say since I'm a great writer & I lovee the topic. What's the topic you ask? Well it's called Downside my Ride. These were the questions posts...I'm prob gonna change it over to managing GM since I know more about their models, past, & future. It has an article about the move to small car production at the beginning of the chapter but these are the questions pertaining to it...
1. Assume that you're a senior manager at Ford and your boss says, "The Toyota Yaris looks like a winner. So does the Nissan Vesa. Why didn't we think of a vehicle like that?" How do you respond? (ha well I know how I would respond lol)
2. If you were in charge of marketing for an established line of small cars, which group of potential buyers would you target in order to broaden your market?
3. Suppose you're a product manager in charge of a successful line of small cars. What might you do to keep the line "fresh"? How could you keep its sales at or close to the top in its market niche?
4. What factor(s) might cause a reversal in buying patterns back toward bigger cars & trucks?

Now I already have an idea about how I'm gonna answer these questions but I was just wondering bout how you guys would answer questions like these or what you think of all of the car companies moving toward smaller cars...once people start replying I'll start throwing in my .02 & posting links that I found bout the benefits & dangers of small cars

Old 02-11-2011, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hopefully it's not how GM responded and ordered small cars from Korea.

I would really look a lot at what Europe has done. Making the Fiat Abathe and all these fun to drive little cars.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

1) Um, we produce a Focus and a Fiesta, sir.

2) You've got to target those people who don't really know much about cars, but just want something to get them from here to there and there to here. You want more lower middle class and working class people who want something affordable and economical.

3) Each model year must see an improvement. Don't put out a car and leave it alone for 4 years. Refresh the interior, offer more options each year, and "refresh" the styling every 2-3 years. Keep the car modern.

4) An economic turn around is a must. The stock market needs to rise, unemployment must drop, gas prices need to be secure around $2 a gallon with little chance of a drastic increase in the next 4-5 years, GDP would need to rise, and average per capita income needs to increase by probably 10% atleast.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 02-11-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks `Duane, for helping Brittany with her homework.. lol
+ all your super contributions to our Monte Carlo Family...
Good information to help a member....I will think about Brittany assignment & attempt to respond when I get some rest....Look forward to reading the idea's from member's : )

Old 02-11-2011, 11:07 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
1. Assume that you're a senior manager at Ford and your boss says, "The Toyota Yaris looks like a winner. So does the Nissan Vesa. Why didn't we think of a vehicle like that?"
Light him on fire, walk over to the nearest gm dealership, and buy a monte carlo.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:48 PM

Slightly off topic, but the Dodge dealership near me moved out and is being replaced by a Fiat dealership, they are advertising the Fiat 500, looks like a beetle/mini-cooper love child, quite ugly in my opinion. I doubt they will sell well, but I haven't seen what kind of prices they are asking.

http://www.cleveland.com/sunstarcour...ealership.html

Old 02-11-2011, 03:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

The FIAT 500 is a great little car IMO. I'm happy to see them bringing it over.

Look for around 15k for a decent one. 18k for a nice one. maybe 12k for the bare bones?

Old 02-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by SpinEm_90
1. Assume that you're a senior manager at Ford and your boss says, "The Toyota Yaris looks like a winner. So does the Nissan Vesa. Why didn't we think of a vehicle like that?" How do you respond?

2. If you were in charge of marketing for an established line of small cars, which group of potential buyers would you target in order to broaden your market?

3. Suppose you're a product manager in charge of a successful line of small cars. What might you do to keep the line "fresh"? How could you keep its sales at or close to the top in its market niche?

4. What factor(s) might cause a reversal in buying patterns back toward bigger cars & trucks?
Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
1) Um, we produce a Focus and a Fiesta, sir.

2) You've got to target those people who don't really know much about cars, but just want something to get them from here to there and there to here. You want more lower middle class and working class people who want something affordable and economical.

3) Each model year must see an improvement. Don't put out a car and leave it alone for 4 years. Refresh the interior, offer more options each year, and "refresh" the styling every 2-3 years. Keep the car modern.

4) An economic turn around is a must. The stock market needs to rise, unemployment must drop, gas prices need to be secure around $2 a gallon with little chance of a drastic increase in the next 4-5 years, GDP would need to rise, and average per capita income needs to increase by probably 10% atleast.
1. If he's actually interested in a conversation, rather than just making a passing comment. I would point out all the advantages the Ford line up has over Toyota and Nissan. And from a design point of view, discuss what he likes about the Yaris and Versa. And see how, if possible, some of the things he likes could be incorporated into Ford's line up. But improve on their design. You want to make your product better than the competition, not just as good.

Then tell him to go get a room with the Yaris and Versa if he likes them so much.

2. For a small car, I would target younger people. For example students who are looking for an economical car they can easily afford, but still have fun with. Most of which, may not know a lot about cars or even care about knowing. Look at the wants/needs of your target buyer. Students would most likely want multimedia connectivity, plenty of ports to plug in/charge things like a laptop, smart phone, mp3 player, etc. Plenty of hidden places to store those same items, out of view so people don't know what's inside the car.

This is also where you want to start establishing brand loyalty. Most people become loyal to one brand and stick with it throughout most of their life. Unless something happens that turns them away from the brand.

You may also want to target people who are looking for a small, reliable, car as their daily driver. Someone who owns a more expensive car (like a Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, other...) may not want to use it for their daily commute to work and such.

Or you could target the pizza delivery market. Make it a hatchback and install a hot box in the back. And mountings on the roof for the sign. :p

3. I agree with Duane on this question 100%. You got to keep improving/changing the car every year. Or else it gets stale and outdated.

4. That's the economy and gas prices. If the economy was better and gas was cheaper, people would still be buying humungous SUV's now.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:36 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

Originally Posted by Enzo354
Light him on fire, walk over to the nearest gm dealership, and buy a monte carlo.
LOL! That was awesome! Looks like y'all are on the same page I am...I gotta start actually typing it out later on today inbetween my busy-ness

Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi `Brittany, Super Good Luck on your paper 4-Sure.
I was impressed with `Lou's & member's input on your assignment...Sounds like a very interesting class...
We know that U R gona get a A+ and `if you don't please post your instructor's email address & we will all send our support : )
Wish U a Super WeekEnd & Super Shootout...Hope you have the time to post your picks in Cowboys Thread...
EnJoy
Peace/Out from `Space

Quick Reply: Best paper topic ever!!! Want opinions =D