Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended

Old 07-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended

This is kind of a Beach Bum Car view. Especially for BBM. First is a 1956 Chevy BelAir wagon Blue and white check the Surf board on the roof top.
Next a Yellow Panel wagon with a Surf board on top and a Trailer shaped like a Guitar. Dedicated to the Beach Boys Pretty neat ride for sure.
I took these at a Car show in Hazelwood, MO in June. I think they had about 300 entries. A few Monte Carlo's 1st gen and 4th Gens too.

Attached Thumbnails Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-beachboy1.jpg   Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-beachboys2.jpg   Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-beachboys3.jpg   Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-surf56-wagon.jpg   Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-surfwagon2.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-02-2016 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 07-02-2016, 02:07 PM
Cool >Life, it's a Beach>EnJoy<

Hi `Dale,
That was really nice of you to post those great pictures of some super nice Surf'in Rides I really love the 56 Bel Air, but it's really 2 nice for the beach or the beating of the hot sun & sands. They are both super show vehicles & created for beach models +

Growing up we had a old GMC Van that took a beating & kept on ticking & doing it's duty/job...
It was our board and lady hauler + + +..
I do like surfer rides, but it better if they have some dents, dings & bruises (LOL)...

Thanks for adding some great activity on our forum & keep things interesting and fun.

I hope you can enjoy the NASCAR race this evening & that the weather is good for a complete race. Florida is packed with tourist & race fans & I think they are all out on the interstates now pretending to be NASCAR drivers. It's crazy out there on the highways of Florida. Road Raging 4-Real....

People need to chill & enjoy their holidays.

Wish all a super/safe & fun eve......

OK, it's about party time....my recharge is over & it's time to make plans....(I hope 2 watch the 400, if I don't have to work)

Old 07-02-2016, 08:27 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know Larry that owns the beach boys 1948 chevy.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2016
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

those are some awesome looking rides the surf boards are a great touch color match

Old 07-02-2016, 10:30 PM

The Top 5 Surf Rides Of All Time

When it comes to surf vehicles there has to be criteria met in order to make the cut. As you will read on you will see why these vehicles make the grade when it comes to getting its owner to the point break. The choice for these five top surf mobiles are not easy and some great contenders were left out so maybe just maybe there will be a part 2 in order to keep too much bitching from ensuing in the comment section.

What Is Needed In Order To Be A Top Surf Sled?

If I am looking for a surf vehicle then I need something that can carry me and a mate(s) to and from the sweet spots reliably and hopefully comfortably. I need a mobile home on wheels that can also drive on some hard-pack. Sleeping accommodations are key and if the vehicle can fit me and hopefully a scantily clad local lady who can stand my funk then the thought of that selling point will stiffen my decision a few inches. If I can afford the fuel and insurance then a 4×4 powertrain gets me to the uncrowded waves and a little more overall seclusion.

1. Woody Wagons – “The Woody”
The Woody – Top Surf Vehicles of All time
Above is one of my favorite Surfer Rides. Still to nice for the off beaches, but it a great looking beach cruiser with some class. (When I hit a lotto maybe (LOL).....Do U like it ?

These splinter sided station wagons became an icon for old school long boarders back in the day and were built anywhere from the 1930’s all the way till the 1960’s by every manufacturer from Ford to Packard. Even after the 60’s auto companies put ****ty faux finish wood on cars like the Griswold’s “Family Truckster” to even those abominations that are PT Cruisers. This era of true oak armored wagons gave birth to not only a surfing trend but also birth to tons of little surfer accidents created in the roomy backseats of these rides (some probably reading this now).

2. Volkswagen Microbus
Volkswagen Microbus – Top Surf Vehicles of All time

Dirty Hippies don’t get all the glory when it comes to Vdubs, so do dirty surfers dammit! Yes this little **** sleds was not so hot when it came to loose sand but they did however make up for some of their downsides with space and on some vehicles, reliability. Volkswagens were and still are either hit or miss when it comes to reliability. You either get one that just doesn’t die or you get the one that was built during Oktoberfest when the assembly line workers were busy pissing and puking in their tool boxes. Throughout the different generations you got more and more amenities that catered to those spending days out on the coast such as roof tents and stoves. If you come from a lineage of surfers then it’s likely that your grandma got knocked up in the “The Woody” and your mom in one of these. Gross right

3. Toyota Landcruiser

Toyota Landcruiser – Top Surf Vehicles of All time

These babies just don’t quit and are seen at all the great surf spots around the world. Sure they are expensive new but you don’t need new. With several generations to choose from you can go from jeep like to extra girthy. Great for international travel and used today by top destinations like ThunderBomb Surf Camp to get clients to the tough secret surf spots. Though gas mileage is **** you have to make the trade for the world class 4×4 system. 4Runner, Tacoma, Hilux are also recommended.

4. Ford Econoline 4×4 (Transit)

Ford Econoline 4×4 – Top Surf Vehicles of All time

Sure you look like a candy giving pedobear when driving around this windowless Amber Alert but that’s the price you pay to have space for all your boards, wax, Asian **** mags and portable DVD player with Zoolander stuck inside. Sure you were going to pimp it out someday but that costs money and this Ford baby of yours is always thirsty for some octane formula. Easy to find parts where sold and with the right setup makes you look like your ride is ready for the apocalypse.

5. Subaru Forester & Outback

Subaru – Top Surf Vehicles of All time

This was a tough one but squeaked by the AWD Tercel and AWD AMC Eagle thanks to Paul Hogan’s charm. Subaru’s have had their downsides in the past but today they build a solid platform that can get you to some tricky spots thanks to the AWD setup and respectable ground clearance. Sure you don’t get windowless pedophile van interior room but you make up for it by fuel consumption and the ability to park in school parking lots without probable cause arrests. The opposed piston engines are reliable and sure to attract a woman with hairy pits.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool

When I lived in California my friends would put the boards in my 1958 Chevy Pickup Truck I would get them to the beach parking lot, then one of my friends had a Jeep and we would take them close to the water from there.
The sand was so loose not like Florida that the truck would sink away, sometimes the Jeep did too.

Attached Thumbnails Beach Bum type rides from Car Shows I have attended-1958-chevy-trka.jpg  

Last edited by drivernumber3; 07-03-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: photo

Search this Thread