Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> Bargain rear-drive sports car market ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking > Bargain rear-drive sports car market ?

Hi Member's,
Which one do you like ? Would you buy ? Why isn't our American Auto Companies building us a RWD coupe ?
Post your comments or which one you would like to drive, own, race

Great New Hope ... or Hype?

There's fresh sheet metal in the bargain rear-drive sports car market, but is it sharp enough to cut it?

<CITE>By Johnathan Elfalan of Road & Track</CITE>What is it about rear-drive cars that excites us? From a physics standpoint, they're inherently advantageous over front-drive vehicles for performance driving — splitting the responsibilities of steering and accelerative forces between front and rear wheels. Compared to all-wheel-drive cars in the same scenario, they're mechanically simpler, generally weigh less and are naturally better balanced.
Emotionally, rear-drive cars — from the accessible to the exotic — assume forms that prioritize passion over packaging efficiency. But this comes at a cost — a smaller market niche with fewer sales — which is why manufacturers either shy away from them entirely or struggle to produce them at affordable prices.
Hyundai, Mazda and now Subaru (and Toyota) prevail against the odds to provide us with three genuine sports-car options at under $30,000. The MX-5 Miata, on one side of the spectrum, has enjoyed great success with its lightweight Jinba ittai approach (rider and horse as one), spawning multiple spec race series, not to mention being a force to fear in numerous autocross classes.

At the other extreme is Hyundai's 2013 Genesis Coupe, pulling no punches as it pushes the output of its turbocharged 2.0-liter engine to a stout 274 bhp and 275 lb.-ft. of torque — and it'll even run on regular-grade pump gasoline if you're feeling stingy.
Right in the middle of the fray is the newcomer — in this case the Subaru BRZ — a joint effort between Subaru and Toyota (Toyobaru?) to revive the soul of the fun, affordable, rear-drive sports coupe. There have been proclamations, rumors, and speculation, and now we are about to see exactly what the engineers at Subaru have wrought.
View Slideshow: 8 Track Toys for Less Than 10 Grand

2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata Grand Touring

Click to enlarge picture

The Miata's wheelhouse is where the road never straightens, which is where we appreciate it most.
Since 1989, few cars have embodied affordable, quintessential sports-car elements better than the Mazda Miata. Taking cues from the minimalistic British roadster, Mazda hit its mark with remarkable accuracy, producing a sprightly little roadster with a 1.6-liter engine and driving character that would plaster a smile across your face for hours. That design has evolved to what we know currently as the third-generation (NC) MX-5 Miata. It's still a featherweight by modern day standards (2555 lb.) and is powered by a racy inline-4 that now displaces 2.0 liters, revs to 7200 rpm and makes 167 bhp and 140 lb.-ft. of torque. Equipping this agile 2-seater with the optional Suspension Package gains you sport-tuned Bilstein shocks and a Torsen limited-slip differential — nice upgrades for $650. But while the Grand Touring trim does its best to deliver creature comforts like automatic climate control, heated leather seats, cruise control and a 7-speaker Bose audio system, the Miata's cozy cabin doesn't exactly lend itself to long, comfortable stints of highway cruising.
Its wheelhouse instead is where the road never straightens, which is where we appreciate it most. Rowing through the close ratios of the Miata's excellent gearbox (the best of this group), we make good use of the available torque as the engine spins willingly in concert to its own music. The steering is light, precise and communicative, and the brakes offer plenty of stopping power with the highest resolution.
View Slideshow: Cars That Define Summer
What the Miata lacks, however, becomes readily apparent once driven with purpose against these other cars. Following a lapping session around our local Buttonwillow Raceway track, Associate Engineering Editor Shaun Bailey remarked: "It's got good bones, but needs some work to make it great. In stock form, the suspension is soft, and the seats don't have enough bolstering. Having driven an STR-prepped Miata in SCCA Solo, I know how good it can be. I love and hate this car at the same time." Assistant Road Test Editor Calvin Kim added to this point: "The Miata clearly demonstrates the benefits of lightweight construction, but it's beginning to show its age. While the suspension attempts to compensate for comfort with a short wheelbase, it allows for near endless body roll that begets outer tire wear."
The three of us agreed, however, that never a dull moment was had in the saddle. The sensation of speed produced from a symphony of audible feedback, tactile sensitivity and a tiny cockpit is amplified by the chassis' superb balance, especially in high-speed sweepers. Its 205-mm-wide Bridgestone tires, while skinnier than the BRZ's Michelins, inspired more confidence with a greater level of perceived lateral grip, although our skidpad test numbers say otherwise.
The Miata will never be discounted, for it's still one of the purest, unadulterated sports cars money can buy. But with this third generation already in its sixth year of production, it's inevitable that Mazda will soon need a younger, quicker horse to stay in the race.
Download the new MSN Autos mobile app.

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T R-Spec

Click to enlarge picture

The Genesis Coupe shows you what brute force can accomplish, both in power and in tire.
Not too long ago, Hyundai was the newest player in the rear-drive coupe world, topping headlines and wish lists of young enthusiasts everywhere. Upon its official release, however, the lackluster base turbo engine and excessive drivetrain lash made for a pretty unrewarding experience behind the wheel. Fast forward to today, and the updated 2013 Genesis Coupe flaunts a fresh new look, much improved hardware and tuning, and a staggeringly impressive spec sheet at its price point, which might even win some buyers over before the ignition is keyed.
Being the largest fish in our comparison-test pond has its strengths and weaknesses. For one, the Genesis' spacious front cabin, replete with soft-touch materials and supportive seats, is contained within a long wheelbase that is conducive to a supple ride. The rear seats are still best utilized as additional storage, but that only further extends its clear lead in cargo capacity. Our R-Spec model — that trades "weighty" accouterments like cruise control, a power seat and an infotainment nav system for firmer springs and dampers, 1-mm-larger anti-roll bars, 19-in. wheels and a Torsen limited-slip differential — does a good job of defining its purpose. But what it can't shed is its underlying heft that compresses our scales at 3495 lb., wet.
View Slideshow: Best Bang for the Buck: Horsepower
Circle around the R-Spec, and every­thing from its staggered Bridge­stone summer tires to the conspicuous amount of negative camber (1.5 degrees) dialed into the front wheels via factory-supplied camber bolts (installed at your discretion) confirms this isn't just another rocket-powered grocery runner. In fact, around our 2.7-mile track, the Genesis put over 2 seconds between it and the next fastest car, the Subaru BRZ. Having just stepped out of the R-Spec, Kim exclaimed: "The Genesis Coupe shows you what brute force can accomplish, both in power and in tire. Even with lackluster throttle response, for real-world performance, the Genesis Coupe takes the cake." The throttle response and turbo lag Kim refers to are expected in small displacement, high-boost turbo engines. Although the Genesis' new twin-scroll unit and uprated intercooler make for a vast power improvement over the old car, the way this engine builds boost tends to promote surging on the street as well as corner-exit oversteer on track.
Scrubbing off all that momentum before corner entry are powerful Brembo brakes that come standard on all R-Spec and Track models. There's more understeer at turn-in than we'd like, but in fast, sweeping corners like Buttonwillow's "Talladega," this leaves a larger margin of safety that instills confidence. The gaping hole in the Genesis' game, however, is its overall lack of precision. "Where the Miata and BRZ feel like fine instruments," said Bailey, "the Genesis feels like a ball-peen hammer. It's a great tool for pounding out fast lap times, but it's no fun swinging it over and over. All the parts work, but not harmoniously, which is probably why I don't enjoy driving it much."
We all docked points for the rubbery gearbox and the shift **** that's shaped awkwardly, like a snake's head. And we were simply underwhelmed by the muted steering feel and amount of weight it amasses under progressive steering load. These may all seem like harsh criticisms, but the bottom line is the Genesis Coupe is a lot of car for the money. And as Hyundai continues to evolve its vehicles at a blistering pace, these shortcomings will undoubtedly be addressed, which will be very bad news for the competition.
Read: 2012 Hyundai Genesis Sedan Review
2013 Subaru BRZ Premium

Click to enlarge picture

It is a car with a rigid chassis designed to be lightweight and engaging, with the lowest achievable center of gravity.
The promise of a game-changing rear-drive car in the pipeline first surfaced back in 2009. And now the hope, collaboration and investments between two manufacturers have finally come to glorious fruition here in 2012. But with the mountain of anticipation the Subaru BRZ/Scion FR-S twins have built, would it even be possible for the finished car to meet the inflated, and potentially unreasonable, expectations of the buyer? Would it have the performance? Could it be priced competitively? Would it end up looking like the Autech Stelvio? So many opportunities to drop the ball on the way to the end zone. After pitting the BRZ against what we feel to be its stiffest opposition, we can now confidently affirm that "the game" has been changed.
Subaru has succeeded in defining not only what the BRZ is, but what it is not. It is not a drag-race-winning torque beast, nor is it the fleetest around a road course. It is not a vehicle dependent on fancy torque-vectoring systems or magic roll-eliminating sway bars. It is a car with a rigid chassis designed to be lightweight and engaging, with the lowest achievable center of gravity, which happens to be 0.7 in. below a Porsche Cayman's.
Read Blog: Subaru BRZ: Strong Seller, Slow Mover
Its suspension is traditional — MacPherson struts up front, double wishbones in the rear — but the damping and kinematics are incredibly well developed. And with the exception of mild teeth-rattling on some of California's rougher highways, we'd probably call it divine. While making our rounds on the racetrack, Kim noted: "The BRZ's greatest strength is in its balance. It's spectacularly easy to drive hard, and very communicative; you always know exactly what the tires are doing, which is often sliding." Subaru says, and we wholly agree, that the tires aren't about huge grip, but enough grip to be effective without sacrificing longevity. "I think it likes being at a 10 degree (oversteer) slip angle." Bailey said, "not a big lurid drift, but a subtle 4-wheel slide that can be controlled all the way to the exit and sometimes beyond just for fun." Gut-check moments in the BRZ will never stem from unpredictable handling, or sloppy mechanical controls, but rather feelings of flying off track from a lack of tire. You might also need a moment to adjust to its higher-effort brake pedal if you're just getting out of a Miata — there's almost nothing more unnerving than thinking your brakes have gone off.
The 200-bhp FA20 flat-4 is legitimately modern — utilizing both port and direct fuel injection — but it's not a marvel of engineering. In fact, some of us found it a little...flat. "There's a dull spot in the torque curve that I doubt you'll be able to fill without the use of forced induction," says Kim. But following our musings for something along the lines of a Honda S2000 inline-4 or a Subaru STI 2.5-liter, we agreed that the FA20 fits the character of the BRZ and would ultimately be adequate to live with.
View Slideshow: Sports Cars on a Budget
Also very livable is the interior. The BRZ Premium, the base model, comes pretty well-appointed with interior comforts like an 8-speaker sound system and voice-activated/touchscreen navigation, along with other perks like xenon headlights and a Torsen limited-slip differential. We really couldn't care less about the nav/sound system — as it's difficult to see and cumbersome to operate — but sing high praises for the huge centrally mounted tachometer, the comfortable button-free steering wheel and the low-slung, sublimely bolstered seats. A driver's car indeed and well worth the wait.
Content Provided by Road&Track.

Last edited by Space; 10-10-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

The BRZ is sweet but id deff have to turbo it

Old 10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Agreed, BRZ/FRS is nice, i pass one all the time at the subaru dealer and its a sharp looking car, but it would need some more power

Old 10-10-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
The BRZ is sweet but id deff have to turbo it
Originally Posted by Leprechaun93
Agreed, BRZ/FRS is nice, i pass one all the time at the subaru dealer and its a sharp looking car, but it would need some more power

Hi `Mike & Keane, they are presently testing now with turbo editions (according to web sources) & some reports said it should be released by spring of 2013...

I'd be happy with one as they are now...I have not tested one yet, but I plan to the 1st chance I get...I love what the reports say about how they handle & decent power for what they are...

Thanks for your post/comments...I sure hope GM is still reading our forum & the interest in RWD coupes that the masses can afford to buy/own/enjoy...

Old 10-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for posting Space. Good info.

Despite the numbers you posted, I always heard guys refer to the Miata as a "girl's car". Just as well anyway. Seeing as how I probably wouldn't even fit in a Miata.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks for posting Space. Good info.

Despite the numbers you posted, I always heard guys refer to the Miata as a "girl's car". Just as well anyway. Seeing as how I probably wouldn't even fit in a Miata.

Lou, you would be surprised the room that's inside a MX-5 & I bet you would enjoy driving one 4-Sure...(I don't understand your words( "Despite the #'s you posted ?")

^^Click above & see these two larger guys driving the Fr-s....They are hav'in fun 4-Sure
One of the test driver's reminds me of one of our member's that won Monte of the Month (Guess which one) ? LOL

Yes, my g/f used to have one & it was a blast to drive & the newer ones are better, but not as good as below (I never thought of them a girls cars ?

**(I did transfer the below pic's from my other thread on the new Impala thread) & deleted the below from it...
I'm look'in 4ward to test driving one like below I really like what I've been reading about them...

Thanks everyone for your posts/comments...

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000; COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Last edited by Space; 10-10-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 AM

Can any of our member's add to the above list of Bargain Rear Drive auto's/cars above....Please post `if you know of any under $30 K....
Would you rather have a used Corvette then the above vehicles ?
What year Corvette can you purchase for under $30 K & what do you think it would cost to maintain over the above ?

Below is another ride I found when I was searching for other Bargain Rear Drive Sports cars...
==========================================
Alessi AR-1 Is A Rear Mid-Engined LS3-Powered Supercar

Alessi AR-1

Last edited by Space; 10-11-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:22 AM

Would you rather have a used Corvette then the above new sport cars ? Below are a few from AutoTrader (there's hundreds around the country for less then $30K
Click on pic 4 more infor about vette..

AdvantageCars.com

$29,888

2005 Chevrolet Corvette
Convertible

Chevrolet Of Milford
CLEAN

$29,855

2001 Chevrolet Corvette
Z06

Hendrickcars.com Hickory
Huge Discounts!!!

$27,869

$30,000

Used 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
  • 8,000 miles
  • Yellow

A/C ice cold, Always garaged, Custom wheels, Excellent condition, Fully loaded with all the goodies Removable glass top , Looks & drives great, Mostly highway miles, Must see, Never seen snow, New tires, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner, Se...View more details

$30,000

Used 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
  • 19,779 miles
  • Black

A/C ice cold, All scheduled maintenance, Always garaged, Excellent condition, Looks & drives great, Never seen snow, New tires, No accidents, Non-smoker, One owner, Title in hand, Very clean interior, Well maintained. This is by far the cleane...View more details

$29,999

Used 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe
  • 6,498 miles
  • Machine Silver

SEE MORE PHOTOS OF THIS VETTE AND 100+ OTHERS FOR SALE AT Used Corvettes, Classic Corvettes for Sale at Buyavette® - Atlanta! Machine Silver exterior, Black interior. 350hp LS1 engine, 6 speed manual transmission, posi rear-end. Factory features include the $1,200 1SB Preferred Equipment Group (...View more details

$25,000

Used 1994 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
  • 8,568 miles
  • Black

'94 Chevy Corvette Convertible. Triple black...Black exterior, Black top, Black leather interior, 5.7L V8 LT1 OHV 16 valve, 4 spd. Automatic transmission. Just over 8,568 Actual, original miles. Original factory condition. Former Mecum car. Extens...View more details

$25,000

Used 1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
  • 26,004 miles
  • Red

SHOWROOM CONDITION!!!! Original ZR-1 Factory Kit included. 6-Speed Manual... Original Window Sticker included. Always garaged w/ cover. Custom wheels, Fully loaded, Ice cold A/C, Looks & Runs GREAT!!!! MUST SEE!! Never seen snow, No accide...View more details

Last edited by Space; 10-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 AM

Member's, post what other RWD coupes are out there for under $30K...Please post them......What would you get/want ?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:12 AM

How about a used Jaguar XJS? They're generally quite cheap (under $10K). I've had one for a few years. It's a great old car. Not quick off the line, but really strong engine (5.3l V12). Classic Jag styling. Great fun to drive. Swap out the stock 3-speed tranny for something better and you could have a much more spirited ride.

Quick Reply: > Bargain rear-drive sports car market ?