Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Back into a curb...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Haha nope not for me anyways. I get the low tire pressure light when I hit 35psi. My tires look flabby if it's down that low.
Tires should be a little flat at the bottom so they grip better. The TPMS doesn't know your pressure exactly. When you reset it, it takes that pressure and knows if the tires drop whatever it's set to acknowledge, I think 5 psi drop in pressure will trip it. But it doesn't know if you're running 40psi or 34psi when it's set - it just knows if you drop pressure.

Anyways, to get back on topic, it shouldn't be a hard fix, Mitch. I let somebody back my car into my garage and they cut it hard to get it in, smacked the front corner of the door and the corner of the rocker on my big concrete stoop. Knocked a chunk out of the rocker and front fender. My body guy fixed it up really easily. My door looked a little off, too but it was from the fender getting pushed a bit.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mike, I seem to recall reading that the TPMS triggers anywhere in the 5-10 psi range. But in the 6th gens, it uses the wheel speed sensors to tell when a tire is low. So it's not exact.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Hmm, I've had my tires filled approx that much since I got the car nearly three years and 30k miles ago. No tire issues. Still get a solid 25mpg. Even at 42psi the tires still do look a little puffy around the bottom as they should be. They don't look or feel overinflated at all. Maybe that's just where they're happy at, but they have never looked healthy at 30psi. I'm baffled, I thought our cars normally ran at high psi because we have bigger tires. I think I'm going to start a thread on this...

Mitch if it makes you feel any better, I smacked into an on-ramp rail at 35mph a couple of years ago. Turned out to be less serious than I thought it would be. Ate up the tire a bit and I think that's why my LF wheel makes a funny noise on occasion, but he damage could have been a LOT worse! I think like me, you got lucky and didn't cause as much damage as it seems. And it doesn't even seem like that much.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know I definitely need to feel those tires up, they're probably at 18 PSI or something low like that :p

I'll fill them today and see what they're sitting at

As for the door, I'm not too worried, just wanna get it right so I'm not dealing with a messed up door forever, wanna keep this car clean, I'll always have a clean beater, not something all rusted up from not caring lol

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Doing that is a lot harder than it sounds, especially once you get the WS6 to love on.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 AM
10 Year Member

Doing that is a lot harder than it sounds, especially once you get the WS6 to love on.
Not really lol the monte has always been clean and always will be. This summer I plan on spraying inside the fenders and all with POR 15 and possibly the problem spots under the doors and underbody.. plus there's those infamous spots behind the headlights..

Other than that, a quick swipe with the buffer and keeping her clean shouldn't be a problem

Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
plus there's those infamous spots behind the headlights..
Oh yeah. Mine I treated with something, but it didn't hold for long. Especially around my air intake is a rust MESS. Probably in the summer I'll take everything out again and do a good sand and hit with some POR-15 and paint.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM

What is the issue behind the headlights?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Oh yeah. Mine I treated with something, but it didn't hold for long. Especially around my air intake is a rust MESS. Probably in the summer I'll take everything out again and do a good sand and hit with some POR-15 and paint.
i'm gonna dremel the hell out of it, you don't have to paint over POR-15, it leaves a decent finish, but I'm probably not going to paint over it lol

What is the issue behind the headlights?
look behind your headlights, it'll be there lol

Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 AM

But what is it? Not sure if I should be excited or scared

Quick Reply: Back into a curb...