Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Apartment Maintenance - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You'll need to research your local city and/or county government to determine the proper organization to contact.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

All legalise aside, I've been a low maintenance renter who fixes things on my own whenever possible. YMMV, it kept the landlord away and the rent low for me.

Is the faucet handle the kind that has separate hot & cold valves? Since the problem returns it sounds like a bad seat in the valve.

I had a similar issue - at first I'd put two washers on the valve. Later I replaced the valve seat and fixed it for good. Was about as challenging as changing a spark plug.

If it's the big single **** in a pie plate, there is an assembly behind the trim that is replaceable.

Youtube is our friend - search "replace a faucet valve seat"

Old 01-14-2012, 11:44 AM

Its the seperate one. Hot is on the Left then in the middle is the **** for shower or faucet - under that is the actual faucet and then the right is the cold. I think I have to turn the water off in order to replace anything . but i dont know where the shutoff thing is.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:24 PM

There is usually an access panel on the back side of the shower valves that can be turned off to change out the stem. If not use a pair of vice grips on the stem in lieu of the handle until you can get someone to fix it right.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by msnyder1112
Its the seperate one. Hot is on the Left then in the middle is the **** for shower or faucet - under that is the actual faucet and then the right is the cold. I think I have to turn the water off in order to replace anything . but i dont know where the shutoff thing is.
Same as my project - the valve seat was chewing up washers. After removing the stem, I had to remove the seat with a L shaped tool. Seat is inside the pipe in the wall. I took the seat to Ace and got a replacement, took it home, reassembled the whole thing and it worked. No leaks, no chewed up washers, no more **** spinning after the 'OFF' point.

Amazing that this was in a house that was built in 1959. Plumbing had not changed much in 50 years.

Normally I hate plumbing, I am cursed with the skill to keep breaking things that are just behind whatever I am trying to fix.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Same as my project - the valve seat was chewing up washers. After removing the stem, I had to remove the seat with a L shaped tool. Seat is inside the pipe in the wall. I took the seat to Ace and got a replacement, took it home, reassembled the whole thing and it worked. No leaks, no chewed up washers, no more **** spinning after the 'OFF' point.

Amazing that this was in a house that was built in 1959. Plumbing had not changed much in 50 years.

Normally I hate plumbing, I am cursed with the skill to keep breaking things that are just behind whatever I am trying to fix.
ROFL, love you cursed skill description. Somehow I can identify with it all to well.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:34 PM

if it is the shower valve most likely it is the washers at the end of the stem or it could be the seat inside the valve body.So if you can shot the water off you will need some pliers a screw driver and a seat wrench to take out the seats. Find out the name on the valve and go to a supply house and get those parts if still available [if you are screwed] then you will have to find a shut off if not the main shut off then you are ready to fixit with any luck.You didn't say if the place you live is new or old or what . Good luck Oh some time there is a access panel behind the shower unit look in the closet might be a panel from being fixed some other time

Old 01-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Theres a panel in the closet by that is located across from the bathtub but I didn't see any shutoff valve. I might have to have my dad come in and maybe look in the laundry room.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:53 PM

Hey,
So today I was showing my Tahoe to someone and guess who pulls up.
A maintenance guy for someone else!
I made him come look at my issue and he will return later to fix it.

I also called the renter yesterday and today... with no luck of returning my call!

Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

You should ask him while he is fixing it what he is doing. Just casually then you'll know how to fix it on your own next time. I did this with the dryer repair man once when he was replacing a burnt out resistor. Even got him to show me how to test the part. Next time it went I bought the 4 dollar part and saved the 100 dollar service call.

Quick Reply: Apartment Maintenance - HELP