Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

anyone running historic license plates?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Default anyone running historic license plates?

I have QQ historic tags in NJ on my 87 SS which exempts me from all inspections in nj. Ive.never had a problem running QQ tags on any of my classics ubtil the other day some cop pulls me over over for obstruction of view(dice hanging from my mirror) and no seatbelt. I ended up in a heated 20 minute arguement with this guy trying to explain that my car is EXEMPT from all inspections while hes arguing that aby car made after 66 has seatbelts which i was already aware of but that doesnt change the fact that my car again is exempt from state inspections so i would assume seat belts would fall into that catigory? Anyone with info or a copy of the exact laws in NJ would be greatly apperciated. Im gonna fight this in court if it costs me more to fight it then pay it so be it, any light on the subject would be great. Please refrain from telling me why i should wear my seatbelt i was in a bad accident in ny corvette a few years ago an had i had a seatbelt on i wouldnt be typing this right.now, thanks guys

Old 12-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

You might be exempt on the inspection side but the traffic law might still be inforced.I'm a New Yorker so i'm not sure of the laws down there for us historic registration means a safety only inspection.all safety item of the year of vehicle have to be there.If your not wearing a belt in a vehicle thats equipped with one you'll still get the ticket.The inspection type doesn't matter to the traffic law side of life in that case.I don't know if this helps or not it's just for around here.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

State has jurisdiction over emission inspection. Federal Government has jurisdiction over mandated safety equipment - like seat belts. Apples and oranges...

Old 12-18-2012, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your car is fine for inspections, meaning that you don't have to have emissions and all of that stuff done. But you still have to follow the laws of the road.

If your car is equipped with seatbelts, you must wear them. You also can't have anything in the window.

I have antique plates on the 68 Camaro, and if I want to drive it at night I need to get it inspected. But I just keep that around during the day. I wear my lap-belts and take the fuzzy dice down on the roads.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Technically, the officer is right. Being free from a safety inspection does not also guarantee you the right to not run brake lights, turn signals, or glass. Likewise, if the car came equipped with seat belts, that is considered an important safety feature and should be on the car and functioning. If you really want to fight it, your best bet is just going to be to plead out to improper equipment and fix it next time.