Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

anyone know MI insurance laws?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member
Default anyone know MI insurance laws?

Hey all, so my sister recently moved to grand rapids michigan from WA with her mitsubishi lancer. She had a personal loan on the car and their for had it liablility insuranced for financial reasons. She was going to make a right turn when she noticed pedestirans in the cross walk, she stopped but unfortuantly the car behind her didn't. It nearly toltalled her car causing $5000+ worth of damage. The insurance company is now telling her that due to michigan liability insurance laws the other drivers insurance company only has to pay a max of $1000. Is this true?!?! What the hell kind of insiurance is that? In washington that's pretty much driving without insurance. They also say that the ladies insurance covers her liability so she can't sue the person who hit her. What can she do to get her car replaced cause she's so far away from her family and none of us know the laws over their.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
Hey all, so my sister recently moved to grand rapids michigan from WA with her mitsubishi lancer. She had a personal loan on the car and their for had it liablility insuranced for financial reasons. She was going to make a right turn when she noticed pedestirans in the cross walk, she stopped but unfortuantly the car behind her didn't. It nearly toltalled her car causing $5000+ worth of damage. The insurance company is now telling her that due to michigan liability insurance laws the other drivers insurance company only has to pay a max of $1000. Is this true?!?! What the hell kind of insiurance is that? In washington that's pretty much driving without insurance. They also say that the ladies insurance covers her liability so she can't sue the person who hit her. What can she do to get her car replaced cause she's so far away from her family and none of us know the laws over their.
Heres a cpl links that may help.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...g8aTfpi3yP6x0A

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IzhYntg5Nsescw

Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 PM

Michigan is a "no-fault" State. Michigan residents pay high rates to only cover their side of the accident. If you get in an accident in Michigan, with a Michigan resident, and your from out of state you are screwed. These claims have to made through your insurance. I live in Ohio and have to travel into to Michigan for work and pleasure, so this is why I carry full coverage insurance, even though Ohio Law differs.

Michigan is not the only state that is a "no-fault" State...Florida
Michigan
New Jersey
New York
PennsylvaniaHawaii ($5000 Threshold)
Kansas ($1000 Threshold)
Kentucky ($1000 Threshold)
Massachusetts ($2000 Threshold)
Minnesota ($4000 Threshold)
North Dakota ($2500 Threshold)
Utah ($2000 Threshold)
  • Choice no-fault
New Jersey
Pennsylvania
Kentucky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-fault_insurance

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
1 Year Member

But what if she sues and the lady doesn't pay?

Old 10-29-2013, 01:29 PM

But what if she sues and the lady doesn't pay?
Your sister needs to contact her insurance company and they should issue her a lawyer. Her insurance fees include lawyer services.

Not sure if Michigan courts hold people to paying on law suits (meaning the court sets up restitution payments).

Also if your sister gets a pay out from her insurance, she can not sue for those liabilties that she has been paid for. She can however claim a loss on her taxes for the value of the car (write-off).

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78

Your sister needs to contact her insurance company and they should issue her a lawyer. Her insurance fees include lawyer services.

Not sure if Michigan courts hold people to paying on law suits (meaning the court sets up restitution payments).

Also if your sister gets a pay out from her insurance, she can not sue for those liabilties that she has been paid for. She can however claim a loss on her taxes for the value of the car (write-off).
I guess the lady had the "mini tort" insurance and that's what paid $1000. Once again what the hell kind of insurance is that?

Old 10-30-2013, 08:54 AM

wow, wont be driving my car to mi

Old 10-30-2013, 09:01 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hiroska
wow, wont be driving my car to mi
I know I will definantly avoid a state that insurance laws don't require you to be personally repsonsible and **** over someone from out of state. (A little pissed over this btw)

Old 10-30-2013, 10:06 AM

I know I will definantly avoid a state that insurance laws don't require you to be personally repsonsible and **** over someone from out of state. (A little pissed over this btw)

If you want your car to be fully covered when driving in a no-fault state, then you should carry "full coverage insurance" (Liability & Collision). This is only a risk when you only have "liability ", then your car will not be covered.

Also that risk also applies to any state were you would be found at fault for an accident. Also it doesn't matter what state you are in if you get in an accident with someone that is uninsured, because you have to rely on your insurance to pay for damages and again you have to have collision to cover your car.

Without collision insurance coverage your car will not be repaired nor would you receive cash value for your car if it is totaled…. If
· You are in a “No-Fault State”
· You are at fault for the accident.
· You are in an accident with an uninsured person

Note: Also you may need to carry “Uninsured Motorist Insurance” if you insurance company does not include this coverage in there “collision insurance”.

Last edited by KCFITZ78; 10-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:37 AM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by KCFITZ78

If you want your car to be fully covered when driving in a no-fault state, then you should carry "full coverage insurance" (Liability & Collision). This is only a risk when you only have "liability ", then your car will not be covered.

Also that risk also applies to any state were you would be found at fault for an accident. Also it doesn't matter what state you are in if you get in an accident with someone that is uninsured, because you have to rely on your insurance to pay for damages and again you have to have collision to cover your car.

Without collision insurance coverage your car will not be repaired nor would you receive cash value for your car if it is totaled…. If
· You are in a “No-Fault State”
· You are at fault for the accident.
· You are in an accident with an uninsured person

Note: Also you may need to carry “Uninsured Motorist Insurance” if you insurance company does not include this coverage in there “collision insurance”.
But their insurance makes it possible for a person to no longer be liable for expenses without paying the full damage to someone's car. Wa insurance laws are different. You shouldn't have to pay if someone damages your property.

Quick Reply: anyone know MI insurance laws?