Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anyone carry? Need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:14 PM
1 Year Member
Default Anyone carry? Need opinions

I need some experienced opinions

I'm 21 in a few months, and I can't wait to get my CHL. I want a 9mm and nothing else. I've been looking at the Kel-Tec PF9, which is my favorite so far because of its relatively low price and the fact that it's thinner and smaller than a lot of other guns, like the Glock, and that's what I need, since I'm a relatively small girl at 5'2" and trying to conceal something like a Glock 26 just isn't going to work. I really wanted a Glock, and I love how they shoot and their impeccable reliability, but as far as carrying size just isn't practical for me. Too bulky to fit on my little frame.

However, I'd rather have more than one option to consider over the next couple months. I've checked out the Kahr PM9, but I think the stainless steel slide is rather ugly and its size is a bit too big to hide compared to the Kel Tec. I like that the Kel Tec is thin and small, but big enough to still feel like you're actually shooting a real gun and not a miniature water gun. The problem with the Kel Tec is that the mag release is known to jam and wear out after some use, which is its only downside, but a pretty significant one in the wrong moment.

So, can any experienced carriers shed some knowledge on some other good options for me? Preferably nothing over ~$500 max

Old 07-07-2012, 04:42 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I carry a S&W Sigma 9mm but thats a lil larger than what ur lookin for but my mom has one of these & its a solid gun lil higher than ur price range but never go cheap on personal protection

Product: Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm

Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I actually have a cpl peices i like the best:
My smith 9mm and my sig 380.

Have you considered even useing a 380? Its a smaller caliber..But has a great punch.. Minimal kick...
Its also very consealable..Purse,pocket, even under your skirt...It light compact and very reliable...
and there not very pricey..it should fall well with in your budget...

My wife also carries a 380...
Dont forget to get the pachmar grips!

Im curious what your choice will be...

Maybe go to the range and ask to try the 380?
I think youll be surprised once you get a feel for it...

Good Luck..

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-07-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM

I mostly carry a hammerless 38spl revolver with a titanium frame light but packs a fair punch. Sometimes I carry my Berretta 32 because it is a little smaller.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM

I mostly carry a hammerless 38spl revolver with a titanium frame
That's what I was thinking too- if even a subcompact Glock is too big- maybe a revolver would be a better choice. A little thick around the cylinder- but the rest is pretty thin. I believe there are revolvers chambered in 9mm also if you're set on that caliber (Taurus 905 came up in a quick google search).

My wife carries a S&W 642- .38 hammerless airweight. She likes the added reliability of a revolver, and the fact that you don't have to worry if it's cocked, or if the safety is on; you just point and shoot.

Personally, I like my Glock 20 in 10mm

Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 PM
1 Year Member

Not really looking for .380. I want to stick with 9mm. I couldn't even take myself seriously with a gun that has less than a 2" barrel... :p

I like the S&W M&P, esp. since it's got a larger mag. Looks good too.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

S&W makes a good gun 90% of my pistols are S&W

Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is what my wife carries. Don't let it fool you. It works when needed.

Armed Beauty Queen Fatally Shoots Intruder in Florida Home Invasion | Fox News

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 AM

I carry a Sig Sauer P6 9mm the West Germany version of the 225 and use to carry a ruger P85. I use the Harnady hollow points with teflon tips.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by milrlyt
Not really looking for .380. I want to stick with 9mm. I couldn't even take myself seriously with a gun that has less than a 2" barrel... :p

I like the S&W M&P, esp. since it's got a larger mag. Looks good too.
I think with any semi automatic pistol....You can always get a larger mag...
Cause you did mention concealment...and carry....But it is a really good weapon...for personal protection...
Its just personal preference...(By the way) Im an above knee Amputee...The way I carry mine if the barrel were longer,
it would be up against my socket on my leg..and it just got uncomfortable with something larger in that position...
I guess i failed to mention that in my original post... srry..

But I do have a shoulder holster for my smith 9...

Last edited by STUMPMI; 07-08-2012 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone carry? Need opinions