Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Anybody Check Out The November Issue Of Hot Rod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Default Anybody Check Out The November Issue Of Hot Rod?

The other night after work I stopped at the local Walmart to get a gift card to buy gas at Murphy USA. When filling the Town & Country the gift card saves five cents a gallon. I usually alway walk the store and I hit my favorite departments. I got this down pretty good. I hit the baby section and pick up baby food or diapers if needed, I then hit the magazine rack before checking out electronics and video/music. I then cruise on over to toys and check out the diecast cars. Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and M2. I can't seem to leave there without one. I tell ya I'm never gonna grow up.
As I am browsing the magazine rack I usually pick up Muscle Car Review and check out any other new car titles that may be there. I usually dismiss Car Craft, Hot Rod, Motor Trend, and Car And Driver as a waste of paper and ink. This time though some one had already picked up this months issue of Hot Rod and it was sitting out of place with the full cover visible. On the cover are two of my all time favorite movie cars. The Bandit Trans Am and the General Lee are right there taking up the whole cover. I had to have it. Inside is some trivia on the two movies and some comparisons of the two cars. I can't wait to read it all.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the heads up Gregg. I'll have to try and find a copy. The local 7-11's have stopped carrying it. Replaced most of the car magazines for magazines with Justin Beiber and Katy Perry on them.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Thanks for the heads up Gregg. I'll have to try and find a copy. The local 7-11's have stopped carrying it. Replaced most of the car magazines for magazines with Justin Beiber and Katy Perry on them.
It just hits the news stands this week. It should be an easy find and I hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:04 PM

You just reminded me I need to renew my subscription. I'm not really huge on the mag, but it makes for some great bathroom reading material.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Hmm that might be a good one to pick up

Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Finally found a copy at an independant convenience store. The 7-11's around here don't carry Hot Rod anymore.

Looking forward to reading it. Quote on the front cover from John Schneider (Bo Duke from the original Dukes of Hazard tv series): "Neither (car) is worth a damn off-road."

It's the battle of the Hero Cars guys! The Bandit vs The General Lee. As a car guy, and a fan of both, I don't know which one to root for.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:20 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

man its a very tough choice between the 2 but im leaning more twards the General Lee lol but its tough cuz the bandit car is sweet to ugh too hard lol

Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 AM

I finally read the article and they posed some really hard questions. How could I choose between the General Lee and the Bandit. I can't choose I want em both. Next choice. Choose between Daisy Duke and Frog. Another hard choice. I want em both. I hate making choices. Lol.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

The article compares the cars, and the characters one for one. But just speaking for the cars at the moment. Here's a direct quote from the story:

Originally Posted by November 2011 Hot Rod Magazine
Finally, there's the aesthetic and mechanical appeal of the cars themselves. The '69 Dodge Charger is acknowledged as one of the most attractive muscle cars ever, and the T/A is an adored icon of '70s cheese. The Charger had engines like the 383, 440, and Hemi. The best '77 Trans Am mill was a real Pontiac 400, but it made 220 hp. Charger wins.
I find that the General Lee is by far more recognizable than The Bandit. The movie Smokey and the Bandit gets less and less known with each generation. The Dukes of Hazard has survived the test of time better. Just my opinion though.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
The article compares the cars, and the characters one for one. But just speaking for the cars at the moment. Here's a direct quote from the story:

I find that the General Lee is by far more recognizable than The Bandit. The movie Smokey and the Bandit gets less and less known with each generation. The Dukes of Hazard has survived the test of time better. Just my opinion though.
Part of the reason for this is because the Dukes of Hazzard has never left TV. The TV show is on the tv in rerun everyday still and there has been a few Dukes movies. In addition all of the Dukes is available on video. The Smokey and the Bandit movies has come to video and the movies get rotated as reruns but no remakes and nothing consistent. The General Lee also spans every decade since Chrysler released the Charger in 68. It was a plain Charger in the 60's as just a cool muscle car. It became the General Lee in the late 70's and thru the 80's. Reruns in the 90's and it's popularity never waned. Movie remake in the 2000's. It never left the forefront of pop culture. I can't say the same of the Bandit.

Quick Reply: Anybody Check Out The November Issue Of Hot Rod?