Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Any Pointers for my Monte's First Car Show?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Any Pointers for my Monte's First Car Show?

Im registering my monte in a car show on the 8th. but it is the first one its ever been in. so i was wondering if theres any pointers anyone could give. like what i should bring with me ect. i usually see like poster boards with cars invoice and stuff.

thanks for the help!

Old 10-01-2011, 07:31 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

If you have that stuff, it helps. I have an original sales brochure and owenrs manual for my Torino that I usually display. Just have the car clean, tire shine is a must, and attention to detail is essential. Clean the windows, trunk jams, under the trunk lid, vacuum the trunk, clean up the seats, vacuum the carpet nicely, shiny stuff of your choice on the dash, and clean the engine bay!! Best way to clean the engine is actually hot... that way, the water evaporates from spots it shouldn't be. Get the engine to operating temperature, spray engine degreaser all over the thing, and then hit it with a garden hose. After doing tha,t drive the car about 10-15 miles to blow the water out and dry it off, this will make a spot free cleaning!!! Clean that plastic cover too. Clean the black plastic splash guards behidn the wheels too!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:35 PM

A small fire extinguisher is a must. Also door jams clean.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
If you have that stuff, it helps. I have an original sales brochure and owenrs manual for my Torino that I usually display. Just have the car clean, tire shine is a must, and attention to detail is essential. Clean the windows, trunk jams, under the trunk lid, vacuum the trunk, clean up the seats, vacuum the carpet nicely, shiny stuff of your choice on the dash, and clean the engine bay!! Best way to clean the engine is actually hot... that way, the water evaporates from spots it shouldn't be. Get the engine to operating temperature, spray engine degreaser all over the thing, and then hit it with a garden hose. After doing tha,t drive the car about 10-15 miles to blow the water out and dry it off, this will make a spot free cleaning!!! Clean that plastic cover too. Clean the black plastic splash guards behidn the wheels too!
Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
A small fire extinguisher is a must. Also door jams clean.

Thanks you guys! i def have all those things! and small fire extinguisher? you sure?

Old 10-02-2011, 12:01 AM

At some shows a fire extinguisher is a requirement.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The last Monte Nats held in York, Pa required a fire extinguisher on the show floor (parking lot) but unless it's stated in the rules, I wouldn't worry about it now. It is a great thing to have in any car though. Another thing, if you are showing your car at a show, it doesn't hurt to know your mods and any accessories that may spark an interest to other people stopping by your car while you're there. Always have a micro towel in your hand and be doing something. You can't buy your way to a trophy, always be doing something during a show! Bottom line, Have Fun and support others while you're there

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member

oh okay! ill bring one just incase. thanks again you guys!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Usually in small local shows, fire extinguishers aren't required. Most national show they are. Just detail your car very well and clean everything - especially the engine compartment.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

I have never once been to a show that required an extinguisher. If ti was indoors, I'd bet there would be a requirement. Plus, fire extinguishers look kind of aggressive in any car anyway.

Plus, that way, if your'e driving along and see a burning house, you can be a hero ,run inside, and put out the fires for them!!! Then those people would be Monte Carlo fans for life!!! :-P

Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM

I've never been to a Chevy show. I have neen to many Mopar and multi make shows. Most of the shows did not require a fire extinguisher. When you are in a judged show, you usually earn extra points for the extinguisher. Most shows I've seen the fire extinguisher sitting in front of a front tire similar to a wheel chock.
Go to the show for the fun of the show. My first show that I went to I spent countless hours cleaning and detailing my car. It was a three day show and registration closed at 9 a.m. Sunday morning. My car had dust and finger prints from the two prior days of show and cruise activities that I enjoyed. I had the only car in my class. Twenty minutes before registration closed three cars showed up on trailers and took the trophies. I was pissed because I didn't think that was fair. Someone pointed out that I drove my trophy to and from the show and that the spectators were able to enjoy a car they could touch. What good is a car that only gets driven on and off a trailer and back into a garage. After that I never got pissed at a show again and trailer queens are always going to win at the shows. If you drive your car enjoy it that way and don't let not winning bother you.
Also you can talk to the judges and they may tell you what they look at.

Quick Reply: Any Pointers for my Monte's First Car Show?