Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Any former Vette owner's out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Default Any former Vette owner's out there?

Hello everybody, my name is Glenn & though I do not own aMonte Carlo, I did learn to drive in a '74 withthe350 & have always liked them. Currently I have a 2005 C6 Corvette 6 speed & absolutely love it. But I am actually considering trading my Vette for a new SS Monte.As positive as the reviews I have read on the newSS MC have been I was just wondering if anyone in this forum has made the switch. I've yet to test drive the SS & I know that is truly the only way I will know for myself if the SS Monte would be a reasonablay acceptable replacement formy C6. I know the two cars are like comparing apples & oranges. But there isone category that truly matters & that is driving satisfaction. So has anyone on this forum made the switch? And if so have you been satisfied? Thank you all for your input.
Cheers,
Glenn

Old 04-19-2007, 10:10 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member
Default RE: Any former Vette owner's out there?

hey welcome to the site

sweet lookin car you have there

why are you trading the vette?? i know its for a monte and the monte is obviously a better car but what made you think you should switch??

i have only heard good things from the guyz with the v8 06-07 monte's ...

Old 04-19-2007, 10:52 AM

I can say I am very happy with my 06 SS after over a year of ownership.They do have an incredible amount of power.One thing that does take some getting used to is the torque steer from the FWD.If you turn off the traction control however,it all but eliminates it.I'm sure it is no match for a Corvette,but it should impress you none the less.If you want a new 07,you better hurry.GM is supposedly ending production of the Monte Carlo in June.There are still 07's on dealer lots though.Check out the "Official Chevrolet" website and click on "find a vehicle" and then you can search dealer's inventories,and view window stickers.I found my car that way.It was listed as in stock at a nearby dealer,but it hadn't even arrived yet.I put a deposit on it sight unseen and waited 2 months for it to come in.When I finally saw it,it was LOVE at first sight.GOOD LUCK and welcome to the forum.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1967/2D970B68D95442B887E1BA41836BC10F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2007, 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: wiz kidd

hey welcome to the site

sweet lookin car you have there

why are you trading the vette?? i know its for a monte and the monte is obviously a better car but what made you think you should switch??

i have only heard good things from the guyz with the v8 06-07 monte's ...
Thank you for the welcome & the compliment. Yes the Vetteis a sweet car & lotsof fun.Trading it in, even for the superior MC is not going to be withoutsome distress, if I ultimately decide to do it.At this timeI find myself needing to make some changes in my life & replacing the Vette may, unfortunately, be one of them. But if that is going to be the case then I definitely want to stay American & preferrably GM. The SS MC seems like it would be the best choice for a replacement for the Vette. I'm not a big fan of the "every 4th car on the road" Mustangs. Besides if the MC is good enough for Tony Stewart (I see by your sig you have a TS themed MC) it's good enough for me. I myself am a huge TS fan.
Again thanks for the welcome.
Glenn

GO TONY!!!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Laserblue06ss

I can say I am very happy with my 06 SS after over a year of ownership.They do have an incredible amount of power.One thing that does take some getting used to is the torque steer from the FWD.If you turn off the traction control however,it all but eliminates it.I'm sure it is no match for a Corvette,but it should impress you none the less.If you want a new 07,you better hurry.GM is supposedly ending production of the Monte Carlo in June.There are still 07's on dealer lots though.Check out the "Official Chevrolet" website and click on "find a vehicle" and then you can search dealer's inventories,and view window stickers.I found my car that way.It was listed as in stock at a nearby dealer,but it hadn't even arrived yet.I put a deposit on it sight unseen and waited 2 months for it to come in.When I finally saw it,it was LOVE at first sight.GOOD LUCK and welcome to the forum.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1967/2D970B68D95442B887E1BA41836BC10F.jpg[/IMG]
One of the local Chevy dealers near me has about 7 SS MCs on their lot right now. I'm going to go test drive one of them in the next day or so. I'm sure driving a 300+ hp frontwheel drive, auto tranny car will be somewhat strange coming froma rearwheel drive MN6Vette. I will be sure to post my experience & thoughts.
Thanks for your input,
Glenn

Old 04-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Hi Glenn & Welcome 2 the MCF
[X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(]
I love the Monte Carlo SS, but if I could afford to have and own a Corvette
I would do everything to keep it.
I hope that you do your homework, before you go to the dealership.
You have to watch out for some of those sales people
I'll be looking forward to your report on your test drive.
Good Luck,
`Space

Old 04-19-2007, 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]Hi Glenn & Welcome 2 the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][X(][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I love the Monte Carlo SS, but if I could afford to have and own a Corvette[/align][align=center]I would do everything to keep it.[/align][align=center]I hope that you do your homework, before you go to the dealership.[/align][align=center]You have to watch out for some of those sales people[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I'll be looking forward to your report on your test drive.[/align][align=center]Good Luck,[/align][align=center]`Space[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Thanks. I did test drive an SS MC today. I was really impressed, very nice with plenty of get up 'n go. Obviously there are differences, most notably body role while cornering. The Vette simply does not role while cornering. But tracking is where the Vette really shines. At this point I'm going to do what I can to stay in the Vette but it is nice to know that I have an option as nice as the SS Monte if it becomes necessary.
Cheers,
Glenn

Old 04-19-2007, 08:58 PM

get rid of your vette for a monte? I love my monte but are u nUTSSSSSSSSSSS
I would loveee to be driving a vette--but I guess if you say its not practical, than so be it.
Be that as it may, My monte and I are a team..enough said

Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM

actually i can say this from someone tha thas driven and rode in alot of vets. (have three cousins and uncels that drive them) To include the new 06 and a 07 vett. I only have one issue with them all. they are a great toy to have as a daily driver they are not what i personally would like to say i own as one. Now as a weekend toy oh hell yeah!!

But the vett dont ahve the body roll. but you can change this to a point with diffrent struts, or strut bars etc... also the diffrent suspentions they offer change this to some point.

They are nicer to drive as a daily driver you dont ahve to worry abotu having some fool say i didnt even see ya . they are as big as most cars. I dont get cut off in it near as much as i have in a vett. from folks looking over you in taller trucks or just not payign attenting.

Also on a long drive due to the back injuries i have ahd in the past a Vett is just not even in the thought proccess. How i would love to have a 62 split window or even a older 57 hard top convertabel I just would not be a daily driver for me personally.

Also as far as the FWD RWD thing. if i didnt tell you it was a FWD i can honestly tell you most folks would never know it was one.
They assume it is a RWD car till they find out diffrent.
I have drove nothing but RWD cars for years till i drove the 03SS i have now. and I honestly didnt know it was a FWD till after i looked under the hood.
But like all monte owners im still really disapointed to hear that they aret RWD V-8 motors .

And that they will no longe be making the monte carlo after 07. SUX!!

i do however also liek the GTO that pontiac has out and they are mean sounding and also seem to ride about liek the monte (from other is have talked to) and also they are RWD cars.
So tha tmight also be another line to look at to.
But i am a monte FAN!!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:03 PM

The Vette as a daily driver has not been an issue for me. Comfort-wise it is actually pretty good. I have the base suspension w/Z51 anti-sways. I've driven it cross country... twice & it rode better than any other car I've owned. And I usually do not let other drivers, especially larger vehicles like trucks & minivans, stay anywhere near me. Putting distance between myself & other is not a problem. I usually slow right down & let them pass. Though at times sitting so low in the Vette can be a real pain in the a$$ where visibility is concerned.
I realize the body roll concerning the Monte I mentioned earlier can be remedied with suspension mods. With that saidI did not think the roll was particulary bad,just something that I readily noticed being use to driving a Corvette.Anyway I would not drive the Monte the same way I drive the Vette. Besides I don't want to get into doing mods of any kind if I decide to get the Monte.They tend toborder on addiction as I'm sure many of you folks realize yourselves.
I actually looked atan'05 GTO beforeI got the Vette since itisRWD & has the same 400HP LS2 engine. But overall it did not do much for me.Even with the MC SS having a smaller motor with less ponies & beingFWD I think it is overall a nicer car than the GTO.
As faras exhaust note goes the Monte SSisno slouch. In fact the first time I heard one firedup it blew my mind. Itactually has a more muscular sounding exhaustnote than an unmodified Corvette!I was blown away & commented on it since it is one of the biggest gripes amongst Vette owners. Why the hell didn't GM give the Vette a more muscular sounding exhaust note?
Well the decision to make the switch is still being pondered.As much as I enjoy the Vette it may not be practical for me to keep.If I am to keep it it mustcontinue asmy daily driver.
Cheers,
Glenn

Quick Reply: Any former Vette owner's out there?