Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Any diesel mechanics here?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Any diesel mechanics here?

'02 Dodge Cummins 121k miles throwing a P0216 code (ignition timing control malfunction), has intermittent "dead pedal" below 65 mph. Everything I've found says VP44 (injector pump) is dead. Anyone know if anything else can cause this code and symptom before we drop between $1200 and $2000 into it? And if it is the injector pump does the lift pump automatically need to be replaced too? I found where you can get a gauge to monitor the pressure for about $50 so I guess we add that to the grande+.

[:@][:@][:@]

Old 09-02-2008, 08:09 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Any diesel mechanics here?

on my dads Cummins N14 (big rig engine), when one of the injectors goes bad, the trucks computer won't let it go over 60 mph, the power is unbelievably weak, and the check engine light comes on. on 18 wheelers there is a computer and you got to ake it to the dealer to have it read (no auto zone will read this), and the computer spits something back to you, then you got to go look that up in a book. if you already got the code, then that is most definitly the problem. be glad it isn't that $2200 computer gone bad, an injector shouldn't be more than a couple hundred dollars

Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Photobucket

It's not an injector, it's the injector pump with a computer on top (one piece deal). And if it is for sure the VP44, it runs between 1200 and 2000 bucks.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:45 PM

Dusty have you tried pulling all power from the computer / ECM and injection pump yet? Sometimes you will get codes and faults that can reset or clear by pulling the power and fuses to the system. That would be the cheapest fix if it works. Other then that you can go to a independent and get them to give you an opinion which may cost much less. Have you tried to run any cleaner through it? I would not think it is time for that pump to expire with this low mileage unless you got a bad load or two of fuel.

I have worked on a zillion diesels for industrial applications, but not for automotive. The principal is almost the same with the exception of having the transmission for automotive applications run through the ECM. You can also pop test the injectors to see if one is bad. I'm sure you don't have the resources for this, but a good independent might get you going in the right direction. The timing could be off from just having one bad injector.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 AM
Photobucket

A friend of ours had some problems with his, took it to the dealer and I think they replaced everything on it and it didn't fix it. Then someone told him to change the APPS and that fixed it. I'm not sure if his ever threw any codes. Tried calling him last night but he's been working 70 and 80 hours a week so sometimes he's hard to catch. The P0216 is the only code we have.

It's been acting up for a whille now. Put some injector cleaner in it to see if that's what it was. Not sure if it helped some or if it was just "intermitting" less, LOL, for a lack of a better description. Just changed all the filters, so it's not the fuel or air filter causing problems. Even if it was a filter I wouldn't think it would throw that code (no CEL, but there is a code - why do somethings set the light and others don't?). I haven't drove it when it's been acting up so can only go by what my husband says. He said it basically acts like when a fuel filter is stopping up - nothing there, like it has to catch up, then it'll go again (his discription - "it falls on it's face then goes after a few seconds"). But so far it hasn't done it when driving 65 or higher (that I don't quite understand, I thought the pressure dropped as you got on, maybe it's the initial "getting on it", but if it builds pressure instead then that would make sense). It was doing it at lower highway speeds and yesterday started doing it going even lower speeds.

Old 09-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Photobucket

OK, called a diesel shop here. The guy was very nice and didn't treat me like a complete idiot (I hate when they do that) actually was able to carry on a semi-informed conversation with him, LOL. Anyway, he can replace both pumps and put in a gauge for roughly $2200 with a 1 year warranty. We'll probably do that unless hubby decides different. The parts alone will cost about 1600 before tax and shipping so I don't think the labor is too bad for what's involved to get to it.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Photobucket

Going to take it to the "doctor" Monday for a "transplant" if the guy can stay late. He closes the same time my husband gets off work but said most days he can stay til we get there, just have to call and make arrangements. Hope it makes it the 15 or so miles there, sure would hate to have to pay for a tow too.