Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Another score for the Ecotec 2.2L

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Another score for the Ecotec 2.2L

Well, as many of you might now, before the Monte Carlo, I owned a 2003 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport coupe...its was fully loaded moonroof...EVERYTHING optional for a Cavalier. Black with the 16" Chrome wheels etc....It had the 2.2L Ecotec with a 5 speed manual tranny. SUPER reliable, great little car that was damn quick. I had induction and exhaust on it.

Anyway, since my Monte is being repaired from my little mishap, I have a 2009 Cobalt 4 door with an automatic...pretty basic car, but nice for a basic car. The Cobalt also has the 2.2L Ecotec like my Cavalier did....Although damn what a difference between the automatic and 5 speed. My Cavalier would smoke this Cobalt. But that said, the Cobalt is still quick for a 4banger automatic.

Well, back in my days with the Cavalier, I used to LOVE blowing doors of certain cars, and having people's mouth drop because it was just a Cavalier....Well, yesterday I was following my co-worker to the gas station so I could fill us both up. He was driving the company Hyundai Accent coupe with a 5 speed....we pulled up to a light, and both grinned at each other.. The light turned green, and we both smashed on our 4 bangers! Score for the Cobalt! Kicked his *** by 3 full car lengths, and left rubber on the ground back at the light! The Ecotec 4 banger did it again. Plus its giving me an average 29MPG and i'm driving it like its stolen...LOL I must redline it at least 12 times a day! LOL

Then, on the way home from dinner last night, my friend that drive a 2002 Ford Explorer pulls up next to me...again, we grin at each other, and light turned green...I like an idiot was not paying attention, so he got about a half car length jump on me...but after first gear the Cobalt past him, and added about 1 car lenght between us...

So even though my Monte would smoke the Cobalt, I still think the Ecotec engine Chevy is using in its 4 banger models is AWESOME! I would kinda like to drive the Cobalt with the 2.4L Ecotec that makes an extra 30HP....better yet, the 2.0L Turbocharged Ecotec that makes 260 HP....That little Cobalt hauls some serious ***....My dad raced a guy in a new Cobalt SS Turbo and he said he was laughing because he just thought it would be cake work for his 4.6L V8 5 Speed Mustang that is pushing 300HP...My dad was shocked how well the Cobalt kept up...He said at one point it was all he could do to keep his half car length lead....

Just thought i'd share a few race stories...LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 05:09 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Quick and light. I dont think I could put up with all the plastic though myself.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:08 PM

they gave me one of those things for a rental and the worst parts abotu it were the interior design, and that i was to used to my monte so i felt every bump in the road. but if you have never driven a car of the monte's caliber you would not know the dif

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 PM

10 Year Member

Yea, once you get used to the smooth ride of the Monte, and the spacious interior, it does seem kinda rough and small...but still a decent car for the money and fuel economy...

Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 PM

had a 98 caviler that i droded in the 2.2 ecotech motor in and the 5 speed for replacement. i had to replace the stock tranny in it so i decided to upgrade the motor and motor and the comp in it. plus the supercharger off of the 2.0 bolts up the same my god it was faster after than the stock motor and tranny thats what im driving now till i get new stering linkige for my monty said the dealer thank god warenty.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:45 PM

10 Year Member

WOW, now that is a Cavalier sleeper....LOL

Old 07-26-2009, 05:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gotta love seeing a Mustang being shown up by a Cobalt.

Even though the Cobalt didn't win the race, the Mustang really lost in "embarassment points".

Old 07-26-2009, 05:45 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Gotta love seeing a Mustang being shown up by a Cobalt.

Even though the Cobalt didn't win the race, the Mustang really lost in "embarassment points".

your telling me...LOL my dad thought he would smoke him...LOL V8 Furd beat by 4banger Chevy! LOL

Old 07-27-2009, 02:40 PM

tell me about it when i came hom this mornin from work a guy in a v8 mustang thaught he was bad in it even though his was stock. kind of blew his doors off off of the line and down the road but thankfully that i stoped for gas. he blew buy and a sherif was behind him he got pulled for speeding and i went on my merry way strieght to bed with a grin

Old 07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i have a well aquantance with a caviler with the 2.2 eco.. it is a quick car but the kid is an idiot... he put on exahaust headers...ect. ect. well they thougt it wast to long so they hacked out the

Quick Reply: Another score for the Ecotec 2.2L