Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

America's Most Stressful Cities 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:15 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy America's Most Stressful Cities 2010

America's Most Stressful Cities 2010

MCF Member's, Do you live in a StressFul City ? ? Let us know how you like where you live &
`Drive your Monte Carlo ? Is it Safe there ?

Francesca Levy, Forbes.com, Forbes.com
Aug 17, 2010

Provided by:

Mod J.J., Don't Stress `Out ....Good Thing that you
live outside of Las Vegas where everyone is kicked back & chilled `out : )

Anxiety levels are running high in these metros.

Every day overwhelmed Las Vegas residents flood the Stress Management Center of Nevada, looking for relief from their problems. They often complain of irregular work hours that keep them away from their families, and tensions that result from family health crises.
In Pictures: America's Most Stressful Cities"Las Vegas has got its share of stressors," says Kathleen Grace Santor M.Ed., Ed.S., a therapist and yoga instructor who founded the center and has studied stress for 15 years. "The 24-hour day requires employees to work 24 hours a day. They're too busy, they have too much on their plate, and they're always hurried."
There's a good reason that Santor's business is brisk. Forbes found Las Vegas to be the most stressful city in the country, followed by Los Angeles, Calif., and Houston, Texas.
To pinpoint the most stressed-out cities, we measured the country's largest metropolitan areas on six metrics that can either cause or be caused by stress: high unemployment, long commute times, long work hours, limited access to health care, poor physical health and a lack of exercise.
Frayed nerves in Sin City

To 36 million tourists per year, Las Vegas is a place to blow off steam and get away from the pressures of daily life. But residents of the city are far from carefree. The housing crisis and recession hit the city hard, and it currently has a 14.5% unemployment rate, the highest of all the cities we studied.
Making matters worse is how few people are taking steps to relieve the pressure. Physical exercise is known to reduce stress, but Las Vegans exercise less than residents of any other big city--a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey showed that nearly 30% of all residents hadn't exercised in the past month.
"Someone who exercises for 30 minutes a day is going to have a lower level of stress hormones in their bloodstream than someone who never does," says Santos, who adds that the searing Las Vegas sun and biting desert winds inhibit outdoor exercise. "Right now nobody is going to go out walking. It's not one of those nice places where it's conducive to go for a walk and then come back and cook dinner."
Health pressures in the City of Angels

Another busy city in a warm climate, Los Angeles, Calif., takes second place for stressfulness, in part because it has among the lowest scores for the well-being of its residents--22.8% of Angelinos reported that their health was less than good. Physical and mental health are closely intertwined, and it's hard to keep from stressing out when one's body is failing.
Workaholics keep Houston tense

The economy in Houston, Texas, is relatively healthy--unemployment is below the national average--but prosperity may come at a price. Houstonians work the longest hours of any city we ranked; an average of 41.2 hours per week.
Furthermore, that toil isn't always rewarded with a solid insurance package--the city also has the highest percentage of people without any type of health care, at 25%. Grueling work hours can add to anxiety and a lack of health care means that stress-related illnesses will go untreated.
In many cities, stress is the price locals pay for other advantages. In Houston, for example, workers may burn the midnight oil, but they are rewarded for it with median household incomes of $54,811 annually, 4.8% higher than the national average, according to the U.S. Census. Lots of stressful cities also have plenty to offer that outweigh the stress for some. Las Vegas and New York, for instance, were tied for "coolest" cities in a recent Forbes poll.
Keeping stress under control

Santor suggests that people who live in stressful places should take time to breathe, mentally rehearse their reactions to stressful situations, and learn simple meditation techniques to keep their anxiety from snowballing.
"There's a lot of ripple effect from fundamental stress factors," says Santor. "But there are so many simple things you can do to relieve stress that don't cost anything."
America's 5 Most Stressful Cities

1. Las Vegas, Nev.
Metropolitan Statistical Area: Las Vegas-Paradise, NV Metropolitan
High Unemployment Rank: 1
Long Commute Times Rank: 32
Long Working Hours Rank: 6
Limited Health Care Rank: 3
Poor Physical Health Rank: 2
Limited Exercise Rank: 1
2. Los Angeles, Calif.
Metropolitan Statistical Area: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA
High Unemployment Rank: 7
Long Commute Times Rank: 6
Long Working Hours Rank: 26
Limited Health Care Rank: 2
Poor Physical Health Rank: 1
Limited Exercise Rank: 11
3. Houston, Texas
Metropolitan Statistical Area: Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
High Unemployment Rank: 26
Long Commute Times Rank: 10
Long Working Hours Rank: 1
Limited Health Care Rank: 1
Poor Physical Health Rank: 5
Limited Exercise Rank: 11
4. Tampa, Fla.
Metropolitan Statistical Area: Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL
High Unemployment Rank: 5
Long Commute Times Rank: 17
Long Working Hours Rank: 10
Limited Health Care Rank: 13
Poor Physical Health Rank: 4
Limited Exercise Rank: 9
5. Riverside, Calif.
Metropolitan Statistical Area: Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif.
High Unemployment Rank: 2
Long Commute Times Rank: 3
Long Working Hours Rank: 26
Limited Health Care Rank: 6
Poor Physical Health Rank: 7
Limited Exercise Rank: 16
Click here to see the full list of America's Most Stressful Cities

Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

How New York did not rank higher then Tampa Florida is beyond me....

Joe

Old 08-19-2010, 11:44 AM

I think the Great Powers of those in Charge of New York, paid them `off, or said they would put a contract on those that conducted this poll .... LOL ~ lol...if they posted anything Bad about the Big Apple : )

Have you been to Tampa ? Lately....~> Old people, and young people (Old people on their Meds & Young people on whatever they are Smok'in/Drink'in: ) LOL
I think Orlando is crazy 2.....I don't like driving in Big Cities...
Miami to me is like a living nightmare....I still get lost everytime I have to go there....It's like bumper cars : ) LOL

I've never been to New York,(or any other state), but I've seen it in Movie's & in pictures from the web....I don't think I would want to drive in Manhatten or the Time square area....Those taxi drivers are crazy 4-Sure....It's like a city race track : ) WoW....

Old 08-19-2010, 12:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'd post, but i', too stressed out right now. LOL

Old 08-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Gary, IN... People are stressed about getting killed there. lol

That place makes my region look bad.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:32 AM

Hi `Ted,
It's so sad to see cities in the U.S.A. so stressed `out and having so many crimes/murders/problems.

I hope we wake `up and resolve the problems in our country, before we go to other countries & try to fix their problems.

I believe that we should take care of our own home first, before we go to our neighbors around our world and tell them how to live...

I think we should lead by example, and not by force....

Should we not first feed our children ? Or neglect them to feed others ? Shoud we not give medical care to our family ?, or others first....I believe in sharing & helping, but I think we should begin with our own family ~>First ~> 4-Sure...

"Be Safe Out There" There are just to many that have nothing to lose, and they are taking more each day from our freedoms..

What do you think ? Now, I'm STRESSED
WAKE `UP AMERICA ~ SPEAK `Up ~
Yes, we can Blame our Government, but "We the people are the ones that elected our Leaders ? We must demand accountability of their actions, their leadership and control those that have sold their souls to the special interest groups.
WHOSE IN CONTROL ?
Peace/Out.....

Last edited by Space; 08-20-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Member's, Do you feel `Safe where you live & drive your Monte Carlo ?
Post & let us know `OK ?
Links From Digg, Delicious, and Google Blogsearch
Links
BIO

The Politics of Cannabis and Color

Norm Stamper, 07.10.2010
34-year veteran police officer who retired as Seattle's chief of police in 2000
Legalized marijuana would go a long way toward ending a uniquely destructive form of American racism and discrimination.

Last edited by Space; 08-20-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'm still too stressed out to post. LOL

Old 08-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Originally Posted by KidSpace
Hi `Ted,
It's so sad to see cities in the U.S.A. so stressed `out and having so many crimes/murders/problems.

I hope we wake `up and resolve the problems in our country, before we go to other countries & try to fix their problems.

I believe that we should take care of our own home first, before we go to our neighbors around our world and tell them how to live...

I think we should lead by example, and not by force....

Should we not first feed our children ? Or neglect them to feed others ? Should we not give medical care to our family, or others....I believe in sharing & helping, but I think we should begin with our own family 4-Sure...

"Be Safe Out There" There are just to many that have nothing to lose, and they are taking more each day from our freedoms..

What do you think ? Now, I'm STRESSED
WAKE `UP AMERICA ~ SPEAK `Up ~
Yes, we can Blame our Government, but "We the people are the ones that elected our Leaders ? We must demand accountability of their actions, their leadership and control those that have sold their souls to the special interest groups.
WHOSE IN CONTROL ?
Peace/Out.....
I 100% agree with everything you said.

Last edited by Space; 08-20-2010 at 05:05 PM.