Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

America's Loss is Australia's Gain

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:24 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Unhappy America's Loss is Australia's Gain

Pontiac GXP Lives...Down Under

America's Loss is Australia's Gain 4-Sure....I really wish that GM kept this marriage instead of getting a divorce
I like their products 4-Sure...I Think GM Made another mistake What do you think ?
`Space

Perfect SpaceSurf'inRide to get 2 the Beach Fast I love this ride ^Bring it back ~> Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Joshua Dowling

The Pontiac GXP performance sedan, killed off when GM axed the Pontiac brand at the end of 2009, has been revived on the other side of the world. The cancelled export order from Holden, General Motors' Australian outpost, has been picked up by its performance division, Holden Special Vehicles.

Lucky Australians will also get something that was snatched from North American showrooms at the eleventh hour: a sport truck version of the GXP that Australians call a ute and HSV calls the Maloo (Aboriginal for "thunder"). Both cars will be priced as entry-level models in the HSV range, bridging the gap between Holden's SS models and the HSV R8 range.

Both GXPs are powered by the LS3 6.2-liter V-8, which pumps out 425 hp and 405 lb.-ft. on Aussie fuel. They also get Brembo brakes and GXP badges, but from there the Australian and North American versions of the GXP start to differ.

The HSV GXP gains the more aggressive front bumper with daytime running lights introduced on the E2 HSV update late last year, and 19-inch alloy wheels from an earlier HSV. (Apparently the polished Pontiac GXP rims had too much bling for local taste.) The Aussie GXP also gets HSV's front fender vents and sports bucket seats, as well as the premium dash with dual zone air-conditioning controls and an upgraded audio system.

The suspension tune of the HSV GXP is identical to that developed for the Pontiac, but the HSV car has a quieter exhaust because of stricter Australian noise limits. HSV engineers had to develop a unique suspension and stability control calibration for the GXP sport truck to go with the Brembo brakes and revised rear suspension.

Rather than cannibalize sales of the dearer HSV models, the company believes the GXP could help walk customers "up" to a more expensive Clubsport R8 or Maloo R8. The GXP delivers the same performance and has the same power as the dearer models but misses out on launch control, wider rear tires, and the option of a bi-model exhaust system.Next Page >>

<HR id=ctl00_ctl09_ctl00_hrOne class=hidden>

1|2|>>

Last edited by Space; 04-16-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

wow, I like that

Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like it. It always was an Australian car to begin with. The Pontiac version was simply a re-badged Holden all along. It's a really sad state for GM when their best designed, and most popular models, weren't even designed by GM.

You would think GM would've learned that people aren't interested in boring econo-boxes that look like they belong on a rental car lot. Hell, even the Camaro. As nice as it is. Is a throw-back to a decades old body design. And to be honest with you, looks too much like the Dodge Challenger. GM dropped the ball on the Camaro by delaying it's launch to the public.

GM also dropped the ball by just blindly eliminating the Pontiac G8 from their line up. They could've cut the worst selling models from all of their divisions. And only had a couple models in each division.

I would love to buy one of those white Holdens in Space's post, with the 6.2 litre V8. That thing looks bad ***! I'd take that Holden over a 2012 Camaro any day. I wonder if Holden ships to Canada?

Thanks for posting Space!

Old 04-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Sweet! Sad that it's not available here.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Maybe we should get together with other GM enthusiast sites, and start an email campaign to GM. Never mind the dealerships that just tune you out and ignore you. Let GM know directly that we want certain cars and/or model names brought back.

Sure there's a 99% chance it won't make a difference. But unless we tell them, there's a 0% chance of getting what you want.

I don't care if it's a rebadged Holden. Get a bad-*** Holden sport coupe, put a Monte Carlo name on it, and I bet you it would sell a lot better than some of the current models in GM's line-up.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Taz
I wonder if Holden ships to Canada?
Originally Posted by Taz

Thanks for posting Space!
Hello `Lou,
I don't know `if they ship to Canada, but the Steering Wheel would be on the right side I've never driven a car/vehicle from the passenger side of a ride

I have enough problems staying in the right lane now LOL
I think GM messed `up again , but
"Chevy runs `Deep" I think they are running Deep in some _________________________<~fill in the BLANK
p.s. I still don't like the motto "Chevy runs Deep" ? ?

Deep in debt ? Deep in the Mud & has to get pulled out by a Ford On `no or Runs Deep in ConFusion <~

I guess we could move over to Austrailia and drive Holdens & they have some great Surf'in 4-Sure
I must research & check it out...
=======================
Thanks `Lou & member's for your posts/comments and sharing your feelings...(GM are you still reading our words) `if not ~> U should `be 4-Sure Peace/Out from `Space

Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Hello `Lou,
I don't know `if they ship to Canada, but the Steering Wheel would be on the right side

S***!!! I forgot about that. Darn it space, pointing out brutal reality like that.

Originally Posted by Space
I think GM messed `up again. But "Chevy runs `Deep"

Deep in debt? Deep in the Mud & has to get pulled out by a Ford? Or Runs Deep in ConFusion <~

p.s. I still don't like the motto "Chevy runs Deep" ? ?
I don't like the motto "Chevy runs Deep" either. One of the dumbest mottos I've heard in a long time.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree its sad they're gone, my mom almost got a G8 a while back. But i really love alot of holden based cars and if the ute were to come to america i think it would sell so fast peoples' heads would spin.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:29 AM

I like it but 12-17 MPG! They can keep it over there with what the gas prices are around here.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Sorry `Lou (Taz), I also hate reality checks I prefer to stay in my dream state, but people/life keeps interrupting
====================================
Hi `Keane, I really love that `ute, but I doubt I could afford one, but it's still a SuperSuper Dream Ride...I love rides like that...I wish they would bring back rides like the El Camio's/Ranchero's etc....Another space `dream
===================================
Happy Belated Birthday April 13th `Alex We hope that you had a Super Birthday + a Gas Card for Big $'s
Peace/Happy/`Out from `Space

Last edited by Space; 04-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: America's Loss is Australia's Gain