Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

879 lb bear shot 6 miles from my house

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Red face 879 lb bear shot 6 miles from my house

this story has become the talk of everyone i see, because of the circumstances around it.

so it's open season for bowhunting & bears too i guess, and this guy bagged PA's biggest ever bear, weighing 879 lbs, just outside of fernwood resort, which i pass through daily. i've seen the bear roaming around and it was honest to god the size of the monte!

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/11190341

however, the hunter later discovered that their was a reason for the bear's size: it had been fed by a local named Leroy scince it had been a cub, and lived off of mostly donuts, cake, and handouts from Leroy, not to mention scraps from the dumpster of the resturant that is directly in front of Leroy's trailer. the bear, named "Bozo" by Leroy, was so tame it would knock on his door if it wanted a snack, and let Leroy snap photo's petting the bear!

(pics in below link!)

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/11200302

i wish i could post more but APARENTLY our local paper where i got the links from wants me to sign up for delivery or some crap to read the same stuff on their website, so imma have to leave it off there.... but there should be links to the other storys on the pages!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Sad. Reminded me of this story about country music singer Troy Gentry who killed a tame bear: "Troy Gentry, of the country music duo Montgomery Gentry, arranged to fire arrows into a tame bear named Cubby, and to then claim he had hunted a wild bear. Gentry actually had his ruse video documented." Youtube link below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNcBaLzVuBQ

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 AM

from what i've been able to gather the hunter didin't know the bear was so tame. but then again, thats what ANYONE would say.....

Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Hi `Ryan,
Thanks for sharing...Very interesting story...
I hope the shooter needed the bear for food, or his coat(fur) for warmth....I hope it was not killed for the pleasure of sport..

Looks like 2 of our members
I think it's bad that the bear was killed
I believe one should hunt/kill only to survive, and not
for sport..., but I'm sure that many will disagree.
Exception: If one is being attacked by any creatures that will hurt..., then one must do what they have to `do 4-Sure...

Survivial of the Fittest...

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Probably saw a person and was coming up to him for food or whatever. Well, we will never know. Very sad. That is what is bad about taming/feeding wild animals. They stop fearing humans and start trusting them which ultimately leads to their demise. They will kill a bear in some national parks once they start getting that way.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:16 AM

it is a shame, especially scince the guy's land borders the DWGNRA. if that bear had chosen to walk the oppisite direction that day.....

Old 11-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Wild animals are wild, guy is lucky it went as far as it did with that bear.
It could have snapped at any time, killing him and anyone around him.
We've seen it in the news before, recently it was a chimpanzee that attacked a friends of the owner... i would post pics but they're horrible.
Sorry, but if i had seen that bear anywhere near me or neighborhood and i had the weapon to take it down, i would... no hesitation.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Friendly or not, if it would have come near my Family, there would be one less bear.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
Wild animals are wild, guy is lucky it went as far as it did with that bear.
It could have snapped at any time, killing him and anyone around him.
We've seen it in the news before, recently it was a chimpanzee that attacked a friends of the owner... i would post pics but they're horrible.
Sorry, but if i had seen that bear anywhere near me or neighborhood and i had the weapon to take it down, i would... no hesitation.
Sorry, but I have to agree with Jose and JJ.

People tend to get a false sense of safety around certain animals. People need to remember these are wild animals. They're not pets. They can and do turn on people eventually.

That bear was fine to be around as long as you had food for him, and/or he wasn't hungry. But if he was hungry, and you didn't have any food for him, eventually you would've been dinner. At 879 lbs, no human has a chance. If the bear approached me, I would've done what I had to do to survive.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:24 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

Sad story, but I agree with all the above. Besides the hunter probably had no idea. Its like killing a deer and finding out its someones pet.

Quick Reply: 879 lb bear shot 6 miles from my house