Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>5 ways to get 400 hp or better for $20,000 <

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >5 ways to get 400 hp or better for $20,000 <

5 ways to get 400 hp or better for $20,000
MCF Member's, what other cars besides the below ones can you add (?)

Big power, econocar bucks.

By John Pearley Huffman October 31, 2014 / Photos by Alex Nunez

We live in a world where 200 horsepower is economy-car fare, 300 horsepower is mildly interesting, and 400 horsepower is the minimum needed to command many enthusiasts’ attention.
Big horsepower is affordable, too, if you know where to look. In the past decade, the world has seen its share of 400-hp cars, and they’ve now depreciated into the realm of attainability. At $20,000 or so, however, they’re not giveaways, and with as many as 100,000 miles on their odometers, they’re definitely used. But we’re still talking less money than a new Camry, and that’s just affordable enough for many to take the plunge.
So here are our five favorite 400-hp-or-more vehicles that can now be had for as little as $20,000.
Alex Nunez .tg {border-collapse:collapse;border-spacing:0;width:620px}.tg td{font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;padding:10px 10px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;overflow:hidden;word-break:normal;}.tg th{font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:14px;font-weight:normal;padding:10px 10px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;overflow:hidden;word-break:normal;}.tg .tg-093g{font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;text-align:center;background-color:#3a3a3a;color:white;}.tg .tg-xdyu{font-weight:bold;font-style:italic;text-align:left;background-color:#3a3a3a;color:white;}.tg .tg-34fq{font-weight:bold;text-align:right}1.2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0ENGINE TYPE:DOHC 32-valve 5.0-liter V-8, 412 hpFROM:C/D online, March 20100–60 MPH:4.6 seconds1/4 MILE:13.2 seconds @ 109 mphBASE PRICE NEW:$30,495PRICES TODAY:$21,500–$25,000Mustangs with the 5.0-liter Coyote V-8 are fast, fun, and easy on the eyes. They might have a solid rear axle, but consistent improvement in other areas made the Mustang GT a 10Best winner three times.
What goes wrong: The Chinese-made Getrag MT-82 six-speed manual transmission is the Mustang’s notoriously weak link. Avoid cars modified with items like nitrous-oxide injection systems.
Costs: Changing the transmission fluid’s viscosity can ameliorate notchiness issues in the MT-82. Replacing the clutch costs around $1000. Also beware: Many 2011 Mustang GTs have expired or about-to-expire factory warranties.

Mercedes-Benz2.2003 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMGENGINE TYPE:supercharged SOHC 24-valve 5.4-liter V-8, 493 hpFROM:C/D, November 20020–60 MPH:4.5 seconds1/4 MILE:13.0 seconds @ 110 mphBASE PRICE NEW:$118,295PRICES TODAY:$20,000When it was introduced, the 493-hp SL was one of the most powerful Benzes on the market. The downsides are more than 4400 pounds of heft and a complex retractable hardtop. But just feast your eyes on that depreciation.
What Goes Wrong: Hydraulic systems (including the “Active Body Control” suspension) will fail. Leaking pneumatic elements that assist door and seat operation can drive you mad.
Costs: The saying “there’s nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes” applies here. One common problem is the crankshaft-position sensor, which can also fail. But the sensor is only about $60, and it swaps easily. Replacing or repairing the hydraulic suspension, though, can cost thousands.

GM3.2005 Chevrolet CorvetteENGINE TYPE:pushrod 16-valve 6.0-liter V-8, 400 hpFROM:C/D, September 20040–60 MPH:4.3 seconds1/4 MILE:12.7 seconds @ 113 mphBASE PRICE NEW:$44,245PRICES TODAY:$20,000–$23,000The C7 might be the latest and greatest Corvette, but a used C6 offers towering performance for Hyundai bucks. Many new Corvettes are purchased by mature individuals and babied throughout their lives, so there’s no reason to settle for one that isn’t in top condition.
What Goes Wrong: The C6 is often haunted by crankshaft harmonic dampers that work loose. Also, look for fractures in the headlights that can admit moisture, resulting in fogging.
Costs: Replacing the harmonic damper costs about $1000. Used headlight assemblies are $625 each, and new ones cost more than $1200 per side.

Chrysler4.2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8ENGINE TYPE:pushrod 16-valve 6.1-liter V-8, 420 hpFROM:C/D, March 20060–60 MPH:4.5 seconds1/4 MILE:13.2 seconds @ 104 mphBASE PRICE NEW:$39,995PRICES TODAY:$20,000–$25,000It’s a nearly 4800-pound box that runs like a Corvette and will haul everything you’ll need for a bathroom remodel. The 6.1-liter Hemi V-8 has a thirst for premium, 11 mpg city/14 highway, so expect big fuel bills.
What Goes Wrong: The SRT8 doesn’t seem to have many weak spots, but its massive weight means brake pads and rotors wear quickly.
Costs: A set of replacement 20-inch Goodyear Eagle RS-A EMT run-flat tires runs a steep $1568 through Tire Rack. Dumping the run-flats for conventional performance tires should save a few hundred bucks.

Audi5.2007 Audi S6ENGINE TYPE:DOHC 40-valve V-10FROM:C/D, February 20070–60 MPH:5.4 seconds1/4 MILE:13.8 seconds @ 104 mphBASE PRICE NEW:$74,020PRICES TODAY:$20,000–$25,000With a Lamborghini-derived, 5.2-liter V-10 in its nose, this S6 makes a mean wail and funnels its power through Audi’s four-wheel-drive system. It’s heavy, it rides like an ox cart, and, compared with contemporary competition from Mercedes and BMW, it’s not as quick. Still, its scarcity and Lambo engine earn it major enthusiast credibility. It’s fast becoming a Saturday-car-show kind of car.
What Goes Wrong: Carbon buildup in the engine and electrical gremlins are common maladies.
Costs: Many parts are shared with the A6, but parts specific to the S6 can be big money. For example, a new throttle body for the V-10’s intake runs about $880. And you’re not going to find one in a junkyard. Make sure any technician working on the S6 is familiar with the car and not using it as night school, or to pay for night school.
This article originally appeared at CARandDRIVER.com

Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 AM
Default >Best Sport Cars 4 under $2oK <

Below `Vid is a Fun `Vid to watch & listen 2
Some great buys 4 under $20K & some great sounds +
some `fart can sounds > WoW >
Click 2 EnJoy
and post which one you liked best ?

I liked the C-5 `Vette

Last edited by Space; 11-01-2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:36 AM
Old 11-01-2014, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Space
The C7 might be the latest and greatest [/B]Corvette, but a used C6 offers towering performance for Hyundai bucks. Many new Corvettes are purchased by mature individuals and babied throughout their lives, so there’s no reason to settle for one that isn’t in top condition.
A couple of points here since I happen to have a C6 myself. Getting any C6 for $20k is going to be tough. Locally they start about $23-25k private party or at a dealer. I'm sure you could get one cheaper with really high mileage, or with a rough car fax history (ie wreck, theft recovery,etc)- but as car enthusiasts, I think we know better than getting into that kind of mess.

I really think that someone looking for a C6 would be better off in the $27-30k range which would get you a nearly new car with only 20-30k miles, and would also get you into the newer model years with the LS3 and a 6 speed auto (if one chose to go the auto route).

The upside is, mileage on them tends to be lower in the used market than other cars. Many people don't use them as their daily driver, so there is an excellent selection of 20-30k mile cars if you're willing to spend a little more. Even at that, the highest mileage one I found in my quick autotrader search was only 77k miles, and that was definitely well above the average mileage.

Another point that they don't talk much about is gas mileage. I don't know exact figures for the other cars, but the C6 gets exceptionally good gas mileage- particularly on the highway. I daily drive my LS3 / 6 speed auto and average 27 mpg on my commute which has a good deal of highway. Doing a few open road cruises, the car can easily do 30 mpg if you stay on the highway and aren't trying to cruise at some crazy speed.

One last benefit that applies most directly to the C6 vs the other cars is that the C6 you could buy for that kind of money is going to be an absolute bare bones base model. This might not seem like a benefit at first, but with 2-4 trim levels above the base model (depending if you consider the Z51 package or grand sport)- there are lots of OEM upgrade parts that often end up reasonably priced when their owners decide to upgrade further or total their car. The big benefit here is that you're not getting upgrade parts from some random aftermarket online company, you're getting proven GM parts that have been engineered to work with your car. Some examples of this are: shocks, springs, sway bars, brakes, exhaust, HUD, radio, spoilers, fenders, wheels, etc. Obviously engine mods end up being mostly aftermarket, but the LS platform has been around long enough that there is plenty of information out there to see what works and what doesn't.

What Goes Wrong: The C6 is often haunted by crankshaft harmonic dampers that work loose. Also, look for fractures in the headlights that can admit moisture, resulting in fogging.
Costs: Replacing the harmonic damper costs about $1000. Used headlight assemblies are $625 each, and new ones cost more than $1200 per side.
Both of those issues are silly. Spending $1k for a dealer to replace your balancer is nuts, especially because they're going to want to replace it with another stock GM balancer that will also fail. Certainly it isn't a particularly easy job- you have to move the steering rack, etc- but it isn't complicated, just time consuming. Plus, by doing it yourself, you can install a quality aftermarket balancer that won't come apart again. While you've got it torn down, you could also keep in mind that you're not all that far from a cam swap which has been proven to pick up big power.

As for the headlights, I don't think I've ever seen them cracked all the way through before- unless they've been hit by something. The lenses are extremely hard. What typically causes the fogged look is the coating on the lenses begins to peel/flake around the edges, and also discolors. Unfortunately, if it's to the point where the coating is peeling off- the over the counter 'fogged/yellowed headlight polish' kits won't cut it. You need to power sand the hard coating off completely, and buff the plastic of the lens back up. Now you also need to apply your own aftermarket polish with UV protectant periodically. I've personally went this route, and they look just fine.

They are correct, new headlights are over $1k each- but that's the whole light, HIDs and everything. You'd be nuts to spend $2k for some fogged headlights. The smart person who doesn't want to mess with the aforementioned method would buy replacement lens covers (not available through GM- they are sold by aftermarket companies)- and replace just the part of the headlight that is bad. It is still certainly pricey- just under $400 for both sides, but if that's too salty- the above mentioned method can be done nearly free with just a few hours time.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 11-01-2014 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 AM

Thanks `Chad for sharing your expertise & pointing out the flawed information on this article. (The writer of it must have been smoking something & was in a dreamland) >

I know the author used KBB for the prices, but I haven't seen any C6 worth buying in that price range 4-Sure. There are some nice ones out there, but I believe that a person will get what they pay for after they do intense research on the vehicles of their dreams !

Thanks `Chad, I always enjoy reading your words/posts.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:22 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, if the money tree ever shakes for me my plan for a 400HP 6thgen Monte will happen for less than $10K. However that will take alotta mods!

I would add the new SS Camaro but who knows when it will get under $20K used.

I am happily shocked that the Cherokee had such a stout power plant. Good thing that one that I blew by on the Monte didn't challenge me! I always liked the Jeep products.