Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

the 5-0, me, and some army gear.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default the 5-0, me, and some army gear.

Hey guys.... heres a story that happened to me yesterday, during my birthday. haha

this is the letter Im going to send the the sheriff about it. feel free to correct it as need be!

Dear Sheriff Fitzgerald,
Let me first start by stating I am unsure of who this email should be sent to. This is not a complaint, nor a question. I decided to sit down and write this as an explanation, and possibly a way to have an issue explained and cleared up to me. If this is not the correct person who I should be talking to, it would be appreciated if I was forwarded to the person who could maybe help me the most out of this.

My name is XXXXXXX. I'm currently doing Army ROTC while going to college, and have frequent Army training exercises around the summers I attend college before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the active Army. I'm now nearing that deadline for being in good shape for this summers training. I leave for Ft. Knox in Kentucky in 4 days. I was told by my higher command to check local laws in my area and if no city bans stopped my ability to carry a marked air soft gun or something of the sort to get used to carrying my issued M4 in the next few days. It was to simulate pack weight, water, medical bags, and to help strengthen your arms for the miles that we run each day with a "piece" while wearing all of the military Issued equipment we had for over the summer. After looking online, I could not find any law restricting the ability to have an air soft gun in public as long as it was marked by a bright un-tampered tip showing it was not a real firearm. From as a kid, I had played air soft (as we do at college for training), and had an older broken plastic one laying around. I suited up in my ACU's, boots, soft hat, ipod, and packs, found the old dusty toy and started the run like I usually do. The tip being about 5" long and BRIGHT orange, I had thought "Short of the gun being completely orange, if this isn't legal, I don't know what is...". Since I Do have to run later in the day and going into dusk, I had put a light at the end of the gun to shine the ground when I run... since understandably, my hands seem to be pretty full with the rest of the crap.

Now, in the past I try to march and run in the country near my house... but due to the last few times, I decided that is was a better chance of me not dying by staying in city limits. I have had 3 attempts to scare me from passing vehicles. I would run with my Black Lab, but after a white pickup truck leaving Barron (going south on a road parallel to Highway 25) a three weeks or so back tried to clip my dog, its been just me running. I personally have had 2 encounters with different cars who try to come very close to me when they drive by (with a foot once, within inches another) when I am running since then. Maybe to scare me, maybe to see how close they can actually get... I don't know. After the 2nd time of that, and it being strike 3 with the dog included, I said enough was enough.

The incident itself I'm sure the officers of that night can explain better what happened. I was carrying roughly 75 pounds of weight for strength training, and running/marching to cadences on my ipod. I had left around 8:00 and started on a pre-mapped trek I had done to total 6 miles. I have to start so late because of my work schedule, unfortunately. I had a few flashlights on me, plus chem lights (military glow sticks) and reflective tape on my ruck/backpack for safety. I tried to exit town by going out the other direction (due to, I hate walking on the area south of town now) and was stopped at about 3 miles into by a Barron Officer and 5 County Sheriffs. The encounter happened at about 9:00 on Sunday night. I was walking about 1/2 mile from city limits, not but a few blocks from the 911 dispatch center in the new Justice building built. The officers drew their weapons, and had me go through the whole 9 yards of laying down and not making any moves. granted at the time, it may have seemed necessary, but i think if it was a real gun I would have done something stupid with it the first part of my workout, not just when the officers finally stopped me for it. After having them struggle with the toy for a moment with it being on a makeshift sling draped over my shoulder and woven through all my packs, did they let me stop looking like I just got done robbing a 7-11 and let me get to my feet. I really didn't think that I would look like THAT big of a threat, since I'm dressed up in all of my military attire, and listening to my ipod while I run with a toy gun. After having to explain to the officers what I was doing, and since I was out of breath from humping that much crap, they laughed. Now, again, I'm not here to say that any of them acted unprofessional. I will be the first to say they did everything great, but 6 .40 glocks drawn on me might have been a little... excessive. I even saw one of the officers past moments before and I smile and nodded, not realising what he was actually doing.

After taking it and dropping it back off at my house, and letting me finish my run... it makes me wonder. Was there anything illegal that I did? Or was there a better way for me to handle the situation?

Old 06-08-2009, 02:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wouldn't say crap :P

And I found a couple technical grammatical errors, such as its not being it's or it has.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:51 PM

...Mike, I would not write them unless you think you were mistreated. I would just take it as another lesson in `life learned, and move on. Oh, and don't carry a toy gun in today's crazy world.
Today, police officer are just walking targets & have become human garbage collector's of those that have no respect for the laws or themselves. The bad out in our society seem to have nothing 2 lose, and have master how to take from everyone. No one has taught them to give `up to get. It's very sad.

I think being a police officer in todays World is becoming more & more dangerous...

If you think that you were harrassed, I would stop in & see the chief or whoever is in charge...

Just my thoughts, but it's your `life...I wish you a good one.
4-Sure...`Space

Old 06-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It was a nice story. Next time don't comply. Pull the toy gun and start screaming "All you pigs get the f* back, NOW!" I don't think you'll get to post how that one turns out.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I would just let it go. But thats just me.

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
It was a nice story. Next time don't comply. Pull the toy gun and start screaming "All you pigs get the f* back, NOW!" I don't think you'll get to post how that one turns out.
You sir are a Man among men.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member

I was hoping you would have pulled the toy gun on someone getting to close to you LOL

Old 06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

holy crap. that woulda scared me half to death!

that said, i think it is well written and if it were me, i'd send it. it's obvious you're not starting anything. i'd just wonder how they'd respond.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

I think it was well written, and IMHO, you should send it. I have no problem with the cops. they are here to protect us, and we should do everything we can to know the procedures they use, who they are, and more. You're not the bad guy, and you are just asking questions as to why you were being treated like a criminal.

You did no wrong, and if you want to ask a legit' ?, do so. I'd be surprised if you get a response, tho. Post it if you do, please.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 PM

I'd totally send that in, reads nicely and it should be a legit way of getting an answer.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

in my mind let it go, but then again maybe just confront the man in charge personally, the police have their ***** on the line always, here is a last memory of 3 fallen pittsburgh police officers who died in the line of fire, first reports were the man in side was unarmed, turns out he had full body armor and an automatic ak-47, 3 officers died that day all over a son arguing with his mom over his dog that peed on the floor ! he became upset and his mom called the police and said she wants him remmoved from the house and it turned into total bloodshed!! 3 officers were killed. so i say just do what they the officers say at the certain circumstance for which it is warranted and comply! they are there to serve and protect, please remember that, and keep your local police offficers un-harmed!! thanks

Last edited by monte carlo 3831; 06-08-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quick Reply: the 5-0, me, and some army gear.