Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

33 plymouth + 4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default 33 plymouth + 4 cylinder

Hey guys. Got an interesting question. This weekend my father and I are going to look at a 33 plymouth coupe. If the car is in as good of condition that the guy says it is, my dad wants to buy it. He wants to make a rain or shine cruiser out of it that he can hop in and drive without showing the car or really worrying about it being show quality. He wants to throw a carbureted 4 cylinder with a manual transmission in it. We are trying to find a good candidate for the swap but Im not quite sure what to look for. He says he isnt worried about power but I know if it is really slow he will be disappointed. I want to find something close to 100hp but it doesnt have to be a rocket. Foreign, domestic, doesnt matter. Any suggestions?

Last edited by mrl390; 03-31-2011 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 PM

5 Year Member

I talked to my boss and he has a 4 cylinder and a 4 speed from a late 70s pinto we will probably use. It has a 2 barrel carb so it should be easy to swap in. They are supposed to be good motors with a lot of aftermarket. Should be a cool project as long as the car is useable.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like a nice project,I have 2 old chevys ,1940 with 350 carb,1946 with 350 tune port injected , enjoy the looks I get driving on highway have fun

Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

i was going to sugest somthing out of a chevy, like out of a s10 or somthing out of a mopar like a slant 6

i don't know too much about either but my budy had a slant 6 and 3spd auto in his apsen when bought it and the thing got awsome mpg i could only imagine the mpg bump from a manual

Old 03-31-2011, 10:01 PM

5 Year Member

I thought of an inline 6 as well but I think the size/weight would be too much for what he wants out of the car. I guess this little pinto 4 cylinder has a huge aftermarket (aluminum heads, cams, intakes, headers). I think it will be neat to build up maybe tho I dont think he is too interested in huge power or anything. I shouldnt get ahead of myself tho. We havent looked at the car yet. Cant say for sure if he will buy it yet without having a look at it.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Too bad this didn't come up 3 years ago. I sent my carburated 2.2 4 cylinder (plus the car) that was in my 1983 2.2 Charger to the salvage yard. The engine still ran great. The rear straight axil was was doing it's best to come out from under the car.

I did every thing I could think of to secure the axil. But the floor pan in the back was getting weak from Ohio's winters and any time I did a repair, it only lasted a short time. I kept the car for several years, cause well I'm a pack rat for one and keep everything.

The 2.2 would have been a good candidate for your dad's new street rod.
It also had a 5-speed transmission in it.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

the pinto driveline is a neat idea, my dad and his buddie had about 15 pinto's when they were younger and got pretty good at fixing them, lol. and none ever blew up!

if that falls through i would try to find an Iron Duke 4 popper & 5 speed out of an 80's S10, plenty of those in the J/Y and reliable as hell.

slant 6 is a good engine too, suprisingly i've seen quite a few 1/2 ton dodge p/u's with that engine, if it's backed by a 4 speed they run along really good at highway speed. should fit no problems scince that car would have a flathead six from the factory, i think?

the 2.2 is a damn good engine too, although i've only gotten to experince fuel injected virsions. that's the same engine my dad managed to pull 200,000 miles out of with almost zero mantince.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:05 PM

5 Year Member

I looked at the motor and trans today. Its in great shape and everything is there. The carb looks very clean and the butterflies operate smoothly without sticking. If my dad buys this plymouth this weekend we car going to bring the whole pinto down to work and try and get it running before we pull it out of the car.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM

Hi Mod `Matt,
Sounds like a SuperFun Project for sure...Will be looking forward to all your updates & pic
s...
Did you dad every consider a Flat Head engine ?
You or your dad may find this link interesting..Check it out when time permits..

2001 Antique Nationals - Events & Shows - Hot Rod Magazine
^^^Click 2 View ^^^^

Last edited by Space; 04-02-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:32 AM

Hi `Matt,
Dr GoogleSearch helped me find the below links/infor
Hope you find it helpful/interesting...Let us know what you & your dad decide...Look 4ward to reading about your project.

A cutaway photograph of Nissan M9R 2.0L Straight-4 DOHC Common rail Diesel Engine installed

The Best Four-Cylinder Engine

Jan 6, 2011 ... I put the question “Who makes the best four-cylinder engine?” to the members of the Tuesday Afternoon Coffee Club, a collection of gearheads ...
www.realcarguys.com/post/The-Best-Four-Cylinder-Engine.aspx - Cached

Inline-four engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Today almost all manufacturers of four cylinder engines for automobilles produce .... Four cylinder engines also have a smoothness problem in that the power ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inline-four_engine - Cached - Similar

Straight-five engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The five-cylinder engine's advantage over a comparable four-cylinder engine ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-five_engine - Cached - Similar

Show more results from wikipedia.org

Best Lightweight 4-cylinder Car Car Comparisons - Car Questions ...

Dec 26, 2004 ... Best Lightweight 4-Cylinder Car"...w/o giving me any more ... old rally cars) uses a four-cylinder engine and does What ~> 0-60 in 2.5 seconds? ...
www.automotivehelper.com › ... › Car Comparisons - Cached - Similar

Best 4-Cylinder Cars | iSeeCars

Oct 7, 2010 ... Those would be the gems listed below: the best 4-cylinder cars. ... A more powerful 2.5L 4-cylinder engine is available as an upgrade to the ...
blog.iseecars.com/2010/10/07/best-4-cylinder-cars/ - Cached

Quick Reply: 33 plymouth + 4 cylinder