Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>3.8L, 348 H.P., 8 Speed< ? What ?

Old 05-29-2014, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >3.8L, 348 H.P., 8 Speed< ? What ?

2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe
Sporty coupe gets more features. By Laura Burstein
Review Pages
----------------------------------------
1. Overview
2. Walkaround and Interior
3. Driving Impressions
4. Summary, Prices, Specs

Compare Vehicles
Email to a Friend
Print version
Get a New Car Price Quote
Search Used Vehicle Inventory

Overview
Now in its fifth year on the market, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe offers sporty rear-wheel drive and strong power from its four-cylinder and V6 engines. Launched as a 2010 model, the Genesis Coupe benefitted from a refresh for 2013, including a redesigned front end, more powerful engines, an 8-speed automatic transmission and a longer list of standard features.
Changes for the 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe are less dramatic, but significant. All models now have standard fog lights, cruise control, heated mirrors, floor mats, and an auto-dimming inside mirror with HomeLink. Engine RPM downshift rev-matching now is standard with the 8-speed automatic transmission. Manual gearboxes gain high-performance carbon-coated synchronizer rings, along with a Hill-start Assist feature. An engine intake sound induction pipe has been added to 2.0L Turbo models for 2014. R-Spec coupes gain enhanced seat bolsters. Hyundai Assurance Connected Care services, for three years, are included in the available Blue Link telematics platform for the 3.8 Grand Touring/Ultimate and 2.0T Premium models. All Genesis coupes with Blue Link have automatic collision notification and SOS emergency assistance, as well as car care features.
The 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder that comes standard in the Hyundai Genesis Coupe is rated at 274 horsepower, while V6, which is direct-injected for better efficiency, delivers 348 horsepower. If using Regular-grade fuel rather than Premium, horsepower of the turbo four drops to 260; the V6 to 344. Torque output also dips, especially on the turbo.
The Genesis Coupe comes with an 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, and a 6-speed manual gearbox remains available.
Fuel economy for the 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T is an EPA-estimated 19/27 mpg City/Highway with 6-speed manual, or 17/27 mpg with 8-speed automatic. The V6-powered 2014 Genesis Coupe 3.8 is rated 16/24 mpg City/Highway with 6-speed manual, or 16/25 mpg with 8-speed automatic.
The cabin, revised for 2013, features electroluminescent lighting. The steering column has a telescoping adjustment. Hyundai's Blue Link telematics system is offered on upper trim levels, including voice text messaging, turn-by-turn navigation and monthly vehicle reporting. Hyundai's Blue Link can be compared to General Motors' OnStar service.
Genesis Coupe R-Spec and Ultimate models have a track-tuned suspension, with firmer front and rear spring rates (7 and 11 percent, respectively). R-Spec seat bolsters are deeper for 2014, to provide added support. On all models, a walk-in assist function provides rear-seat access from the driver's side.
The Hyundai Genesis Coupe can be shopped against the Ford Mustang, Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger as well as the Mazda MX-5, Scion FR-S and Subaru BRZ.
The Hyundai Genesis four-door sedan is covered in a separate New Car Test Drive review.

Model Lineup
The 2014 Hyundai Genesis Coupe comes in two basic models: Genesis Coupe 2.0T and Genesis Coupe 3.8. Each model has three trim levels: The base Genesis Coupe 2.0T ($26,350); 2.0T R-Spec ($27,200); 2.0T Premium ($29,300); 3.8 R-Spec ($29,350); 3.8 Grand Touring ($32,150), 3.8 Ultimate manual ($33,400), and 3.8 Ultimate automatic ($34,600).
The 2.0T comes standard with an 8-speed automatic transmission that includes paddle shifters. The 2.0T R-Spec comes only with a 6-speed manual gearbox, while the 2.0T Premium is offered only with the automatic. Similarly, the 3.8 R-Spec is strictly manual, while the 3.8 Grand Touring comes with the 8-speed automatic. The 3.8 Ultimate comes standard with the manual and offers the 6-speed automatic at additional cost.
The Genesis Coupe 2.0T comes with fabric upholstery; power windows; heated outside mirrors; automatic temperature control; a sport-tuned suspension; fog lights; a leather-wrapped shift **** and manual tilt/telescopic steering wheel; proximity key with pushbutton start; a six-speaker AM/FM/CD/MP3 audio system with iPod/USB input jacks; and 18-inch alloy wheels. SiriusXM Satellite Radio and Bluetooth capability are also standard across the line.
The 2.0 Premium includes 18-inch alloy wheels; a power sunroof; rear parking assistance; gray leather bolster/gray cloth insert seats; power driver's seat with height adjustment and power lumbar; 360-watt, 10-speaker Infinity audio system with AM/FM/CD player and HD radio; 7-inch touchscreen with navigation; and Hyundai's Blue Link telematics.
The 2.0T R-Spec is a performance model that deletes some trim from the base 2.0T, as well as the base model's automatic temperature control. In exchange, the R-Spec adds 19-inch alloy wheels with 40-series summer tires (instead of all-season tires), a Brembo braking system, Hill-start assist, track-tuned suspension, Torsen limited-slip differential, and black leather seats with black cloth inserts.
The 3.8 lineup begins with R-Spec trim and a long standard-feature list, including a track-tuned suspension, 19-inch alloy wheels with summer tires, electroluminescent gauges, black leather bolster/black cloth seating surfaces, fog lights, and Hill Start assist. The top-of-the-line Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate models blend luxury and performance, including a track-tuned suspension, limited-slip differential, Brembo brakes, black leather seating surfaces, xenon high-intensity-discharge headlights, aluminum pedals, aero wiper blades, and a rear spoiler.
The 3.8 Grand Touring builds upon the Ultimate's luxury features, but deletes some of its performance equipment (including the Brembo brakes and stiffer suspension) while dialing back to 18-inch wheels and tires. Standard equipment includes unique black or tan leather seating surfaces, two-stage heated front seats, power driver's seat with height adjustment and power lumbar, 360-watt 10-speaker Infinity audio with subwoofer and external amplifier, navigation, sunroof, rear parking assist, metalgrain and chrome interior accents, and fully automatic temperature control Safety equipment includes frontal, side-impact and side-curtain airbags. The front seats have active, anti-whiplash head restraints. All four passengers get three-point seatbelts with pre-tensioners and force limiters. The rear seat comes outfitted with child safety seat anchors. Active safety features include antilock brakes, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist, electronic stability control with traction control and tire pressure monitors. A backup warning system comes on the Grand Touring model.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:12 AM
Default >Free `Vid 2013 from MotorWeek<

Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It doesn't look bad but I will keep my reliable 3.8 monte way over getting that any day.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by crazyzach722
It doesn't look bad but I will keep my reliable 3.8 monte way over getting that any day.

Thanks `Zach for being the first to post....I was going to get you one for your birthday, but I will just give it to someone else >

I prefer stick, but I'd like to test drive the 8speed auto to see how it's set up and the gear spacing ratio's.....?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 AM

Hyundai keeps stepping there game up. I remember in the 90's there cars were just plain junk, hated working on there stuff. It's like doing a simple brake job the calipers bolts would break then the caliper bracket bolts would snap, omg the metal quality was horrid. Not so much anymore, right on pair with the rest of the junk being made today.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:34 AM

sounds like awesome power! but i dont like the looks of the car. not my style. the front is too "smiley" and the rear has too much of a futuristic look. i love my coupes, but some cars just look like they should be 4 doors IMO. like the audi's and caddy's for example. love them as sedans, they still pull of the sleek "mean" look...but the coupes...oh ugh, not my style. i love the old time hot rod looks better.