Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>>>>?2017 Toyota 86 better off with its slightly updated look and new badges?<<<

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:52 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >>>>?2017 Toyota 86 better off with its slightly updated look and new badges?<<<

29 PHOTOS

Better with a new badge and a facelift?

The sudden death of Scion left many questions regarding the youth-oriented brand’s lineup. What will happen to the fun-to-drive FR-S? We knew it would be absorbed into the Toyota lineup, but the automaker was at first unsure about a name change. At this year’s New York auto show, we learned that the sports car formerly known as the FR-S would not only receive a new name but a facelift as well. But is the 2017 Toyota 86 better off with its slightly updated look and new badges?

The majority of the updates happen out front. The front bumper is smoothed out in some parts, losing the creases beneath the headlights, and it comes to more of a point. Horizontal slats cover the vents where the foglights used to be, and the front grille opening is wider with a different shape. The front valance is also redesigned, now curvier with two ridges that serve as teeth in the 86’s more menacing face. The headlights feature LED accents and an 86 logo printed on the outside of the housings.

From the side, you won’t spot too many differences. The 86 gets a new set of multi-spoke wheels, and the top part of the fender loses the boxer badge and gains a vent similar to that of the pre-refresh Subaru BRZ. The badge moves down on the fender, but loses the piston elements of the original design and is colored red. The rear gets new LED taillights and continues to be spoilerless.

Inside, the steering wheel is redesigned, with the 86 badge placed in the center and audio controls finally integrated into the wheel. The 7-inch Pioneer touchscreen introduced for the 2016 Scion FR-S continues to be available for the 86, and a backup camera should still be standard.
The Scion FR-S, like its Subaru BRZ sibling, was an excellent driver’s car. But the niche car found fewer and fewer buyers each year after its introduction. Will it have better luck with a facelift, a name change, and a Toyota badge slapped on the hood? Tell us in the comments below.
Last week, we looked at the 2017 Bentley Mulsanne, and responses were mixed.
Commenter jdavison30 wasn’t a fan, saying, “They went backwards. Beautiful and elegant previously. The flat surfaces on an elegant car now make it appear early 2000sKia.”
Scott Satellite51 thought the design was almost there, but just not quite. “Certainly not revolting but there is something that looks unfinished about it… the meld of old and modern almost works but falls a bit flat. I’d want a car that costs this much to make me convulse with pleasure, not think its almost beautiful.”
Still others only cared about the flying B emblem on the bonnet. “Who cares what it looks like, its a Bentley,” said akachuy.
Posted so you know what's out there on the streets where
you live & drive!!!
Do you like it ? Don't ?
Post your thoughts/opinions OK
Thanks

Old 07-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Might be a generational thing with me, but all Toyotas are looking ugly these days. The faces are surly and mad looking.

The previous styling might have been boring or looked like copies of other cars so the stylists went totally opposite.

The Toybaru (or Subarota) is a neat car and an interesting result of competing automakers cooperating to make a low volume car for both companies. I'd buy the Subie version though.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Dang, I am not the car guy I thought I was. I didn't know Toyota and Subaru was intertwined.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:31 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Lightbulb

Hi everyone
I like the above vehicles and they are a great vehicle for what they are?andesigned and built for. 2 me they are the great ride.......
Reviews very positive. If you ever see one on the lot for sale it's worth your time to test drive one. I did and I really liked it. It's not a muscle car but as decent power and is a blast to drive on back roads and have fun. They are holding their value and I would buy one for a fun ride!!! Check one out if you get the opportunity.. 2 me it's a good investment for a good time. That's all my speaking text will let me say at this time. Let us know if you I've driven one?... or go out now and find one and test drive it and come back and post your review. So many things to do, so little time LOL

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-24-2016 at 12:46 PM.