Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's which one do you like best ?
Corvette StingRay
66.67%
Mustang Shelby
16.67%
I'll post what I'd buy instead for that amount of $'s
16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

>2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool >2016 Stingray Z51 vs. 2016 Shelby GT350

2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Z51 vs. 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
These two unlikely combatants scrap for the title of the best everyday American sports car. And America wins . . . again! Member's, which one do you want if you had the $'s 2 get one ? Why ?
Comparison Tests
From the February 2016 issue >Thanks Car & Driver from the MCF

All of this brings us inextricably to the showdown that neither Chevrolet nor Ford probably had in mind: the one between the Corvette and the new Shelby GT350. We set out to find the best American sports car that a successful, but not necessarily rich, person could attain. We would want road-course competence from our winner, but not at the expense of real-world drivability, since it is sadly the real world in which we spend most of our time. Our winner should look fast, sound fast, and be fast. But most important, it should be thrilling to drive.

Playing the role of the established power­house is the seventh-generation ­Corvette. We chose an example with the Z51 performance package to bring the track prowess we were looking for. And because driver engagement and enjoyment are ­paramount in this test, we chose the seven-speed manual transmission. Chevy provided just such a car, loaded up with the 2LT package of niceties ($4455), Magnetic Ride Control shocks ($1795), the data-and-video system for recording laps ($1795), the vibrant but extra-cost Laguna Blue paint ($995), and “sueded microfiber” seat inserts ($395). This ballooned the Z51’s suggested price from $61,395 to a whopping $70,830. But if you were to spec out a more basic performance Z51, you could easily cut $7000 from what this car cost.

Our insurgent, the Shelby GT350, is a car that would easily swim through the sea of EcoBoost and GT Mustangs undetected, were it not for its ripping exhaust note. Mustangs were never really intended to battle Corvettes. Hell, they have at various times shared platforms with Falcons, ­Pintos, and Fairmonts. But this one—this frankly shockingly special version—can put up a legitimate fight even though it’s more than 300 pounds heavier and is more than five inches taller than the Corvette. We specified a regular GT350 with the optional Track package instead of the R version because we wanted as much on-road sophistication as possible, and also because we wanted tires that roughly match the stickiness and longevity of the Corvette’s. The Track package—which brings magnetic shocks, a front strut-tower brace, firmer springs, and oil coolers for the engine, transmission, and differential—rings in at a not-insubstantial $6500. The only other option on our test car was the $475 “Over-the-Top Racing Stripes.” Unfortunately, once you opt for the Track package, Ford locks out the navigation system, upgraded stereo, and a few other goodies available to stand­ard GT350 buyers.
All in, our GT350 cost $56,970. That’s a substantial discount from our Corvette. The Chevy makes back all the points it loses for its inflated sticker in our features and amenities category—and then some. After all, this is supposed to be an asymmetrical fight.
We bombed around Willow Springs International Raceway in Southern California, gleefully roasting Michelins. We strapped on our instruments for our normal battery of proving-grounds tests. And we assaulted some of the country’s finest roads between our high-desert test facilities and the clogged thoroughfares of Los Angeles. In the final accounting, it was the insurgent that wound up with more hoes.

View Photos View Photos

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-29-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gotta say Stingray cuz Chevy

Old 02-29-2016, 05:09 PM
Thumbs up Corvette Powered Camaro S.S. Convertible (WoW)

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Gotta say Stingray cuz Chevy

Thanks `Tadd for posting & Voting...

Pretty soon you will have your sleeper 4seater StingRay Convertible

Callaway’s aftermarket upgrade is highlighted by a GenThree TVS2300 supercharger. Renowned GM tuner Callaway already teased the automobile back in January, but now it has officially introduced its take on the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro. Named for the GenThree TVS2300 supercharger Callaway has added to the car’s 6.2-liter V8 (not to mention a TripleCooled intercooler and high-flow cold-air intake), the SC610 improves the Camaro’s horsepower from 455 to 610 while also offering up 610 pound-feet of torque to boot. As far as cosmetics go, the package offers additions like a carbon fiber engine cover, nine-spoke FlowForged wheels and Callaway badging throughout.
The SC610 package can be added to both coupe and convertible (as seen above) versions of the Camaro for $16,995 USD. For more information, head on over to Callaway’s website.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 02-29-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:26 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The Vette has a lot of gimmicky stuff on it which inflates the price - the GT350 is all business.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:45 PM
Thumbs up Thanks 4 posting

Originally Posted by AwesomeSS
The Vette has a lot of gimmicky stuff on it which inflates the price - the GT350 is all business.

Hi Amy, yes the Vette has a lot of gimmicky , but that Gimmicky (lol) makes the StingRay faster to 60 & 1/4 miles + top speed & theWinner

I actually like them both...I'm just happy the GM & Ford are building them for those that can afford them...

Old 02-29-2016, 09:56 PM

I'd pick the vette also, mostly because I love my c6 and how capable the chassis is.

I haven't driven the latest gen mustang. The last I drove was the 660 some odd hp gt500. No doubt the car was crazy quick in a straight line and was a blast to cruise around in, but it didn't feel anywhere near as nimble or sporty as the c6 z06 I drove the same day. I just really think they're two different classes of cars.

From looking at the new gt350, I would have a few concerns:
-what are the chances of actually getting one for sticker since they're such a limited run? I'd imagine the actual price you'd have to pay would be much closer to a stripped down c7 z51, maybe more.
-looking at the dyno charts of the 350, it doesn't look like all that good of a street engine. It made great power up at 8k, but it looked to have a notable dip in power under 3k where you do most of your driving. You'd have to drive it like an s2000 to get any real excitement out of it on the street.
-it's still a mustang. No doubt, it's a good looking car, but at the core, you're still driving the same basic thing as the v6 and 4 cylinder models. With the c7 being close to the base model, there are likely upgrades you can do relatively cheaply with oem parts from the higher end models.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:33 AM

Thanks `Chad for your post & Valid points.
Yes, there are few Ford Dealer's that will sell a limited production vehicle for MSRP

(I love the S2000 Honda) Yes, High rev's 2 get the most of that little 4 banger, but it sure is fun `if you have open roads & stay out of bumper to bumper traffic)

Have you done any Mod's 2 your Vette ? Post some pic's of it `if you can ?

Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
(I love the S2000 Honda) Yes, High rev's 2 get the most of that little 4 banger, but it sure is fun `if you have open roads & stay out of bumper to bumper traffic)
I also like the s2000, but with that car, you expect to have to rev it high, especially only being a 2.0L in the ap1. When buying something like a v8 mustang, I wouldnt expect to see such a big drop in power in the lower rpm range. It's almost like it has vtec over 3500 rpm! I just don't think it would be as enjoyable driving on the street (where the majority of the regular 350s will likely end up anyways). I'd rather have a gt500 personally - lots more room to add power there anyways.

Have you done any Mod's 2 your Vette ? Post some pic's of it `if you can ?
I've done a few mods to my vette. Nothing real crazy yet, mostly just bolt on stuff (granted some are pretty labor intensive bolt ons, like the supercharger and HUD):
-heads up display
-gm suede steering wheel
-window tint
-Carbotech ax6 brake pads
-corsa extreme exhaust
-1 7/8" long tube headers
-elite engineering catch can
-vortech v3si supercharger on an A&A bracket with an A&A intercooler
-alkycontrol progressive meth injection

Name:  20151228_223923.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  283.8 KB

Name:  20160110_210419.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  571.1 KB

Name:  20160124_145128.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  673.3 KB

And one shot just after I finished the blower install. The hood does close, I had just popped it to check for leaks and hadn't closed it yet.

Name:  20160207_161439.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  331.1 KB

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 03-02-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Talking High Rev's >WoW<

Thanks `Chad for your reply & update on your mod's to your Vette. Your Corvette is beautiful & it's good to see your Monte again..(Greats pictures)<>Thanks Much.. I love the way you have the rad placed, plus the little things like the blacked out emblem. It's great that you have the talent to do your own Mod's...(I would have to have a pro do them for me `if I had a Vette like yours....

Space had a Honda Del Sol V-Tech & he put on a turbo, but you still had to have it in the high rev range to get power. That's the problem with variable valve timing...(Great for states with super highways or placing you can make your engines scream

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-02-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:32 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

for that $ I think I'd buy a 2016 Camaro and a 2016 Equinox....you can get a Camaro almost as quick and handle nearly as well for about half the price, but these are both great if you want to go all out.