Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2016 Camaro SS Definitely Makes More Power than the 2016 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:54 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Arrow 2016 Camaro SS Definitely Makes More Power than the 2016 Corvette

2016 Camaro SS Definitely Makes More Power than the 2016 Corvette

There has been tons of speculation as to whether or not the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS actually makes more power than the C7 Corvette Stingray with the same LT1 engine, but thanks to the folks at JDP Motorsports – we know that the 6th gen Camaro definitely makes more power than the Corvette.

Over the past few months, various shops around the country have gotten their first chance to strap the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS to the dyno. Some of those tests have found that the Camaro makes similar power to the C7 Corvette Stingray, but others have found that the new Camaro makes more power – and often way more power. The problem is that the dyno numbers of the new Camaro and the newest Corvette were never compared in a back to back manner, so there was just too many variables to make a clear call as to which GM performance car makes more power.
Thanks to the folks at JDP Motorsports, we know have that back to back dyno run by the 2016 Camaro SS and the 2016 Corvette Stingray.
Spoiler Alert: The Camaro makes more power.
JDP Dynos the Camaro and Corvette
In the discussions comparing the dyno numbers of the 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS and the 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, a few problems are raised by those who aren’t so quick to crown a champ. Air quality, the settings of the individual dyno, air temperature and even the quality of the gasoline in the tank can all have a fair impact on dyno numbers and those were just some of the most common factors causing people to question the Camaro-Corvette dyno comparison.
To fix this problem, JDP Motorsports brought a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS and a 2016 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray to their shop for dyno testing on the same day. Both cars have the manual transmission and both cars have their tanks filled with the same gasoline, leaving virtually no variables in this comparison outside of the cars themselves.
JDP then made dyno runs with the 2016 Camaro SS and the 2016 Corvette Stingray, with the Camaro making more power. As they point out in the video below, the Camaro does not make a great deal more power, but the muscle car did beat the sports car by about 4 horsepower and about 9lb-ft of torque at the rear wheels. There is the point that the Camaro has a 6-speed manual transmission while the Corvette has a 7-speed manual transmission, but at the end of the day – more power at the wheels is more power at the wheels…and the Camaro SS makes more power at the wheels than the Corvette Stingray.
The video below shows both cars inside and out, followed by dyno runs of both from multiple angles and it ends up showing a quick look at the dyno sheet, with the Camaro making 421hp and 427lb-ft of torque while the Corvette made 417hp and 418lb-ft of torque.
On behalf of everyone in the American performance world, thank you to JDP Motorsports for putting together this informative video!

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-24-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I thought that there was a rule at GM that no other GM car can be more powerful than a Corvette.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Talking Does anyone follows the rules/laws anymore ? : (

Originally Posted by singrseanr
I thought that there was a rule at GM that no other GM car can be more powerful than a Corvette.

Hi `Sean,
I never heard that, but I guess

believes that

Old 03-24-2016, 06:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Wow I have heard this rumor but thought it was just that "a rumor"

Excuse me while I go out and hug my Camaro

Old 03-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Wow I have heard this rumor but thought it was just that "a rumor"

Excuse me while I go out and hug my Camaro

LoL `Tadd, I'd go drive it 4-Sure. You named your new S.S. a great name "Wild Thing">>>4-Really>Sure<
I bet it's a joy to drive and control the power. Wish you many fun & safe miles..I'm really happy 4 U & all that get a ride

Old 03-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

BBMike if we ever should meet up I'd let you drive it for sure

Old 03-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Talking >Here I come ready of not (LOL)

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
BBMike if we ever should meet up I'd let you drive it for sure

Name:  BJOCxpG.gif
Views: 5
Size:  301.5 KB
Thanks much `Tadd, I'm packing now & I'll be on my way...

17 h 1 min (1,204.0 mi) via I-75 N

I must just be day or night dreaming again... I could be Tadd's houseboy and detail his cars + take his S.S. out & make sure it's running in top condition...WoW, I hope I don't wake `up from this dream

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-26-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:03 AM

2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Lays Down More Rear-Wheel HP Than A C7 Corvette

Okay Corvette guys (and gals), plug your ears for this news. It seems, after Hennessey Performance Engineering slapped its 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS to the dyno, the latest pony car puts down more rear-wheel horsepower than its 2016 C7 Corvette Stingray brethren.
That, frankly, is shocking news. The 2016 Camaro SS is rated for 455 hp at the engine, but the dyno shows 431 of the hustling horsepowers find their way to the rear wheels, with 427 lb-ft of torque ushering the vehicle forward. In comparison, HPE tested a stock, seven-speed manual equipped 2016 C7 Corvette, which showed only 410 rear-wheel horsepower.
That means, with a little math, the 2016 Chevy Camaro SS is making closer to 500 hp at the engine to account for a loss at the crank. Yesterday, we also reported HP Motorsports dyno tested its own 2016 Camaro SS with nearly similar results: 420 rear-wheel horsepower.
Does this news only sweeten the deal? Yup. Check out the run yourself right up above.

I'll take this new S.S. in all BLACK Click above to watch the vid
and hear the exhaust

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-26-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Default >Press Release<

I'll take a all Black one (lol) 4>$ure!

Press Release

The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2017, poised to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance.

The package builds off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE packages, for both V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black hood, specific wheels and more.

For the first time, the 1LE package will be available on Camaro 1LT or 2LT
coupes

equipped with the 3.6L V6. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97G in cornering grip. Available Recaro seats will keep you planted through the corners, and an available Performance Data Recorder will allow you to view and share your track experience.

The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup.

As a result, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.
“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.
“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”
The new 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 Camaro SS and LT V-6 coupes equipped with manual transmissions. Pricing and performance data will be announced at a later date.
Camaro LT 1LE
The Camaro LT 1LE was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class. Highlights include:
3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
Standard dual mode exhaust system
Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.

“With a curb
weight

under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V-6 customers.”

Camaro SS 1LE
The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:
6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
Magnetic Ride Control
Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
Dual mode exhaust system
Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
Available PDR video/data recording system.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-26-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:44 AM
Talking 2016 Corvette Challange ?

When I win the big Lotto $'s, I'm getting the below & come looking for `Tadd in his 2016 Camaro S.S. & line them `up!
Let's see who is faster

Starting MSRP

$79,400*

Supercharged

6.2LV8 engine

SAE Certified

650Horsepower

Max. Torque

650lbs./ft.

Test Track 0-60

2.95seconds†

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-26-2016 at 11:47 AM.