Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Do you like the 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe ?
Yes, I like `it & would buy one `if I could afford
10.00%
I'd have to drive one b-4 I decide ?
40.00%
I don't like it a all
20.00%
I think it's a decent package with a 3.8L, but it's not 4 me...
30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe + More + Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe + More + Cars

VIEW PHOTOS (68)
  • |

<HGROUP>2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Hyundai's upstart sports coupe gets more punch and a new look.

</HGROUP></HEADER>According to Hyundai America CEO John Krafcik, 2011 marked the highest calendar-year sales ever for the Genesis coupe. The self-confessed factoid freak calmly references this fact from the passenger seat of a 2013 Genesis coupe as we skim across the Nevada Desert floor at speeds well over the century mark. Krafcik is busy peppering me with questions about the car—and other cars, and Apple, Sony, BlackBerry, and the current state of EPA regulations, among other topical concerns—and snapping photos when we roll over a cattle grate without drama; doing so in the pre-refresh Genesis coupe would have sent reverberations throughout the entire car. He smiles approvingly, then returns his attention to his BlackBerry and begins hammering out another series of messages. Note to Genesis coupe suspension engineers: Now may be the time to ask for a raise.
We gave you a look at the Genesis’s revised fascia when it debuted at the Detroit show back in January, and we can now confirm our suspicion that the hood is an entirely new stamping, a costly proposition for a simple midlife revamp. Paintwork on the dozen or so examples we examined was flawless, and the Genesis looks light-years better—and bigger—in the flesh than in photographs. But the real news is the pair of significantly reworked engines residing under that fresh hood.
Drivetrain à la Carte
The all-aluminum 2.0-liter four-cylinder now utilizes a twin-scroll turbocharger and a 53-percent-larger intercooler to produce a formidable 274 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque, up 64 hp and 52 lb-ft over the outgoing engine. Aided by the new twin-scroll turbo and dual continuously variable valve timing, maximum torque arrives at 2000 rpm, and the car pulls hard out of corners with minimal turbo lag. Engine NVH levels are improved from before. Hyundai engineers point to a new stainless-steel integrated exhaust manifold and the integrated turbo housing that weighs less and dissipates heat more efficiently while also improving efficiency and emissions. The waste gate is now electronically controlled for more accurate boost modulation and improved mid- and high-load fuel efficiency. Under hard throttle, the exhaust emits a mild midrange honk that climbs in pitch with acceleration. Outside of the car the tone is even more raucous, and should be music to the ears of any remaining members of the Fast and Furious club.
<TABLE class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=429><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
If the 2.0T is the feisty extrovert, then the direct-injected V-6 is the strong, silent type. With 348 hp on tap, the V-6 Genesis edges out a couple of class-above coupes, the 330-horse Infiniti G37 and the 300-hp BMW 335i. Its 295 lb-ft of torque tops the G37’s 270 and gives up a scant 5 lb-ft to the 335i. More direct competition comes via the Nissan 370Z and the Ford Mustang, two rear-drive stalwarts in the same general price range. The former offers 332 hp as standard or 350 in NISMO trim, while the latter serves up 43 fewer horsepower than the Genesis V-6 but also offers 412 hp from its 5.0-liter V-8.
At idle, the Genesis’s V-6 remains smooth and steady, and revs climb willingly with a blip of the throttle. Although its peak torque doesn’t arrive until 5300 rpm, the engine is strong from 2000 rpm in almost any gear. On the highway, 2000 rpm in sixth gear motivates the Genesis along at a dash-indicated 70 mph. Floor it, and the comparatively mature exhaust note improves as engine speed climbs. Krafcik commented that getting a sweet sound under acceleration was easy, though; finding an acceptable tone at idle proved to be the hard part, the process apparently complicated by the engine’s direct injection. Note that the V-6 does employ an intake sound-induction tube to route some “car noise” into the otherwise serene cabin.
Top speed is limited to 146 mph for the 2.0T and 149 for the 3.8. Knock sensors are employed to allow both engines to run on regular unleaded fuel—albeit with a small power deficit—when drivers don’t feel like paying the premium for premium. Hyundai claims the mileage figures are the same with either fuel.
Transmission availability isn’t as simple as just choosing a trim and then opting for a manual or automatic. Both the 2.0T and 3.8 Genesis R-Spec models come only with the six-speed manual; the 3.8 Grand Touring and 2.0T Premium are available with only the newly available eight-speed automatic; and the base 2.0T and the 3.8 Track models can be equipped with either transmission. The eight-speed automatic (gears seven and eight are overdrives) is the first octo-cog in the class. R-Spec and Track models have an available Torsen limited-slip differential. Continued...

<NAV class=mod>PHOTOS (68)</NAV>

Hyundai Genesis coupe Research>

News and Reviews>
Top Competitors>
<!--research-->Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe

BASE PRICE: 2.0T, $25,125; 2.0T R-Spec, $27,375; 2.0T Premium, $29,625; 3.8 R-Spec, $29,625; 3.8 Grand Touring, $32,875; 3.8 Track, $33,875

ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 16-valve 2.0-liter inline-4, 274 hp, 275 lb-ft; DOHC 24-valve 3.8-liter V-6, 348 hp, 295 lb-ft

TRANSMISSION: 6-speed manual or 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 111.0 in
Length: 182.3 in
Width: 73.4 in Height: 54.5 in
Curb weight (C/D est): 3400–3550 lb

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.1–6.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.7–14.1 sec
Top speed: 146/149 mph
FUEL ECONOMY (C/D EST):
EPA city/highway driving: 18–20/28–31 mpg

<!-- specs--><IFRAME style="WIDTH: 1px; HEIGHT: 1px" id=adFrame height=0 marginHeight=0 src="/assets/js/ads/adpage.html" frameBorder=0 width=0 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME>

<!-- shell -->
<!-- outer --></ASIDE><!-- cq_id: 406118--><!-- buyers guide call: http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/...=4816&mode=xml --><ASIDE id=tertiary>

RELATED STORIES
IN THE CURRENT ISSUE

Last edited by Space; 02-21-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Its got some power id give it that but it has thst wierd looking nose that all the Hyundais have

Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
Its got some power id give it that but it has thst wierd looking nose that all the Hyundais have

Hi `Mike, you are picky

Yes, they could use some work on the nose, or just
blow `it off ~>
Thanks for being the first poster 2 this thread...Sorry about the burnout pic on our Blog (I like it & loved the nose)
It was just 2 BIG 2 fit without resizing

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I like it, it's a coupe, manual, long front end looks at some angles, (kind of looks like a Mercedes), but I don't think I would own it.

I do enjoy companies making fast coupes though, get some competition in there!

Old 02-21-2012, 10:10 AM

I think I'd like it, but I'd have to drive it. I love manual trans coupes. The 4 cylinder would have plenty of power for me and should top 30 mpg. I'd really enjoy the mpg.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I like the idea but probably wouldn't buy one

Old 02-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Nope

Old 02-21-2012, 06:50 PM

I would not buy it. It is just too impractical for my needs. I also try to buy only American made. I'm not sure where this it built but even if here the money still goes to Korea.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I think I would buy something else for that price. May be a car that was a year or two old.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 AM

Hi Member's, thanks for your posts & votes in the above poll.
I'm looking 4ward to the Mustang by Ford that maybe a Big Four with a Turbo @ 300 HP... I need a Boost, Eco or Not..
I'm just happy that they are still making cars in this class.
To me they are still expensive, but way cheaper then a dream ZL`1 Camaro
What do you think of the below ? I do look forward to see what GM is going to do to compete
Ford Confirms EcoBoost Mustang in the Works

<SMALL>January 10, 2012 at 1:19am by Daniel Pund</SMALL>

While there have been rumors of an EcoBoost-powered Mustang ever since Ford coined the EcoBoost name, the company’s executives have been pretty mum on the subject. But at an event in conjunction with the first press preview day of the 2012 Detroit auto show, the company’s chief product man, Derrick Kuzak, acknowledged the existence of the turbo Mustang.
Said Kuzak, “Given the success we’ve had with EcoBoost across the lineup that we’ve talked about, it’s fair to assume that we will have an EcoBoost Mustang in the very near future.”
And that is all Kuzak is saying about that. Our guess is that the engine in question would be a four-cylinder version, similar to the 2.0-liter unit that will power the upcoming 247-hp Focus ST. If so, it would leave room for the current 305-hp, 3.7-liter V-6 to slot between the new turbocharged, direct-injected four and the 412-hp 5.0-liter V-8 (which will be upgraded to 420 hp for 2013). Earlier rumors indicated that the EcoBoost motor would be a larger displacement four-cylinder making more on the order of 300 hp. We’re reading Kuzak’s words to mean that the new engine option would appear within the next year or two.

Quick Reply: 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe + More + Cars