Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

> 2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV & 2014 S.S. - First Look <

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question > 2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV & 2014 S.S. - First Look <

2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV - First Look
Member's what do you think ? Post your thoughts ? ?

This cop car provides us with a sneak peak at the upcoming Chevrolet SS.
The best part is the fact that this 4-door Camaro—replete with independent rear suspension—will be made available to all of us next year as the 2014 Chevrolet SS. If the civilian version is as entertaining as this police car and comes in around $30,000, Chevrolet could have a big hit on its hands.

By Andrew Bornhop / Photos by Carter Jung and Press
July 25, 2012
<!-- main image hidden --><!-- test output end: --><!-- the article, at a glance, downloads, top competitors, from buying guide --><!-- left column -->

Truth be told, the last Chevrolet Caprice for sale in North America was a body-on-frame rear-driver that looked good—if you had an affinity for beached whales.

2014 Chevrolet Impala

Now there’s a new Caprice and although its styling is a bit vanilla—looking quite a bit like an Impala, especially from the rear—this Austra- lian-built rear-driver is essentially a Chevy version of the long-gone, but very much missed Pontiac G8. But you can’t buy it because the Caprice is currently available only to law enforcement agencies. ’Tis a pity, because this Phantom Black Police Pursuit Vehicle is a hugely entertaining sleeper. Although a 301-bhp 3.6-liter V-6 is available in this Holden-built machine, our car had the big 6.0-liter pushrod V-8 up front, which sends 355 bhp and 384 lb.-ft. of wheel-spinning torque to a limited-slip diff, via a smooth-shifting 6-speed automatic. According to the Michigan State Police, the heavyweight (4160 lb.) Caprice PPV hits 60 mph in 5.9 seconds and has a top speed of 154 mph.

2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV

As a police car, this Caprice is built for abuse with heavy-duty suspension, 18-in. steel wheels, upgraded brakes and auxiliary coolers for the engine oil, transmission fluid and power steering. What’s more, there’s a high-output alternator and unique front seats that accommodate officers’ utility belts. The huge back seat, of note, is fixed, and the dash-mounted trunk release functions only when the key is in the ignition—to prevent thieves from smashing the window to access the trunk. Last, the front and rear fascias are reshaped to allow for higher curb clearance and better engine cooling.

2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV

The firmly sprung Caprice proved popular during its stay at R&T. It’s good fun to drive a car that’s so plain, so mainstream, yet has the heart of a lion and is built to handle abuse. At $32,305, this Caprice PPV, fitted with a simple but durable interior and a full-size spare tire, represents excellent bang for the buck.
The best part is the fact that this 4-door Camaro—replete with independent rear suspension—will be made available to all of us next year as the 2014 Chevrolet SS. If the civilian version is as entertaining as this police car and comes in around $30,000, Chevrolet could have a big hit on its hands.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:02 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Wait so the SS is gonna be a Caprice?? If so ill prob not like it

Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Unless GM has changed their mind I thought the Commodore was going to be badged as the SS in the U.S.?

GM Confirms Holden Commodore-Based Chevrolet SS Featuring RWD and a V8 Engine for 2013 - Carscoop

Old 07-26-2012, 08:11 AM

I hope its the commador cuz the caprice is a huge sedan & not very sporty, its sold as a Buick Park Avanue in some countries

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I hope its the commador cuz the caprice is a huge sedan & not very sporty, its sold as a Buick Park Avanue in some countries
Me too, but I'm a bit disenchanted that GM is going to adorn another 4 door vehicle with the SS status.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:41 AM

If it has the looks & the power im all for a 4door SS, but we cant have blah rental cars with it like Gzm has been making recently

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
If it has the looks & the power im all for a 4door SS, but we cant have blah rental cars with it like Gzm has been making recently

Hi `Mike, the picture in this thread was from Road & Track, & I hope they do more then just put S.S. emblems on below..

It's not my kinda car, but maybe they will make a coupe version in the future or bring over the Camino Holden ? ?
I like those 4-Sure, but the prices sure are getting higher on everything...

Fast drive through Space's Novice PhotoChop'er *LOL*

p.s. Thanks Seattle `Mike for your post & link

Attached Thumbnails &gt; 2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV &amp; 2014 S.S. - First Look &lt;-cops.jpg  

Last edited by Space; 07-26-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM

Space thats prob all GM will do is add SS badges & rims & call it good, which is about the worst thing u can do

Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM

I'm not a fan of the Caprice anyway so making an SS model of an ugly car wouldnt interest me lol just like the Chevy SSR I belive it was, it was like a attempt at an El Camino again but with more truck and damn it was ugly.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BlackRainSS
I'm not a fan of the Caprice anyway so making an SS model of an ugly car wouldnt interest me lol just like the Chevy SSR I belive it was, it was like a attempt at an El Camino again but with more truck and damn it was ugly.

Thanks for posting & letting us know that you don't like the future Chevy S.S. & also the SSR...

We shall notify `Santa & he will take it `off your list of gift's
I'm just happy that auto companies are still making/producing high performance auto's & that we all have so many choices 4-Sure...My problem is that every ride I like are just way to expensive... 4 my budget..

Quick Reply: > 2013 Chevrolet Caprice PPV & 2014 S.S. - First Look <