Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2012 Chevy Caprice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 09:19 PM

I would like a detective version with SS badges on it. I think we can thank Obama and the government for no civilian version of this car. I bet they don't have to include municipal fleet sales into the total for the CAFE requirements. I think the government should have to be held to the same standards as the citizens of the country but that is a whole other discussion.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:33 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If I was going to buy a large size 4 door car it would have to be the Ford Taurus SHO w/Eco-boost!

Old 09-18-2011, 06:18 AM

...Thanks `Zach for posting sharing...I really like the power, not crazy about the DeSign, but it's a Police Car...
I just know I don't want to see one behind me with their lights on or have to sit in the back seat (Cage: )

I'm sure in a few years they will be sold @ their Police Auctions & we can get them & rebuilt/mod them

Or you could Join the Police Department & get out there & race everyone and give your friends tickets

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

not really a fan--way to much like an impala (which has LONG run it's course IMO)

Old 09-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jester_20
not really a fan--way to much like an impala (which has LONG run it's course IMO)
I agree completely about the Impala having run its course. It really hasn't changed since 05 or 06 and the one before that was even worse. Chevy needs to go back to the days of the 60's and 70's when they face lifted the Impala every year. I do understand that all the manufacturers have gone away from that and do a completely new car every four to six years with no or little change in between. This thinking leaves the cars looking stale before there time. I think a face lift every two years might be the answer. When Detroit made the cars look new every year they created excitement and anticipation of the new cars every September. Detroit needs to create that excitement again.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 09-18-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:35 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I remember a few years ago, one of the popular auto magazines did a feature article on police cars vs. the civilian version. And the myths and facts behind the image of police cars. I can't remember which magazine it was. I want to say Motor Trend or Hot Rod. But I just can't remember.

Turns out, we have an over-exaggerated view on how good the Police Interceptor Crown Vic is. Their testing showed the only difference between the civilian version and the police version is the number of welds in the frame, and heavy duty transmission and suspension. But their performance numbers are no better than the civilian version. In fact, in some cases the numbers are worse when you consider the extra weight of the HD tranny and suspension. Plus all the equipment departments typically install. Steel brush guards for example.

But police cars do have a secret weapon that most civilian cars don't. The police radio. You can out run a typical police car, but not their radio.

According to the article. Due to budget restraints, most police departments are driving cars that aren't much better than the cars we drive. But they don't have to. As long as they have their police radios, they can simply radio your info to everyone else in the department to keep a look out for you.

This article didn't take military use into account. Only Crown Vic police cars like the ones NYPD drive.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I remember a few years ago, one of the popular auto magazines did a feature article on police cars vs. the civilian version. And the myths and facts behind the image of police cars. I can't remember which magazine it was. I want to say Motor Trend or Hot Rod. But I just can't remember.

Turns out, we have an over-exaggerated view on how good the Police Interceptor Crown Vic is. Their testing showed the only difference between the civilian version and the police version is the number of welds in the frame, and heavy duty transmission and suspension. But their performance numbers are no better than the civilian version. In fact, in some cases the numbers are worse when you consider the extra weight of the HD tranny and suspension. Plus all the equipment departments typically install. Steel brush guards for example.

But police cars do have a secret weapon that most civilian cars don't. The police radio. You can out run a typical police car, but not their radio.

According to the article. Due to budget restraints, most police departments are driving cars that aren't much better than the cars we drive. But they don't have to. As long as they have their police radios, they can simply radio your info to everyone else in the department to keep a look out for you.

This article didn't take military use into account. Only Crown Vic police cars like the ones NYPD drive.
Hi Lou. If they compared NYPD Crown Victorias then it really wasn't a fair comparison. I know that the FHP Crown Victorias are a bit more powerful partially because they have dual exhaust. FHP is in the process of retiring the Crown Vic. They are going with Dodge Chargers and I have seen at least one new unmarked Ford Taurus. Up until last year 6:@ had a few of the Mercury Marauders in their fleet as unmarked speed enforcement cars. They were cool and the new 2012 Charger is cool in FHP marked trim. The County Sheriffs departments run Impalas and Crown Vics.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't say they used a NYPD Crown Vic. They used a brand new Crown Vic Police Interceptor supplied by Ford Motor Co. with generic police badging. The same car that's used by many police departments. Including NYPD.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
I didn't say they used a NYPD Crown Vic. They used a brand new Crown Vic Police Interceptor supplied by Ford Motor Co. with generic police badging. The same car that's used by many police departments. Including NYPD.

I'm sorry, my mistake. I had a friend who had a Crown Vic LX which is the civilian version of the police interceptor. It was much better than the grampa version of the Crown Vic. Mercurys version of the LX was the Marauder.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 PM

are these out yet.. cause i could of sworn i saw one of these in my friends neighbors driveway. he usually has a charger cop car (cause hes a cop) and then one day he had a black car like that. and i was like... ive never seen that chevy before.. has to be new.

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevy Caprice