Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 in 3.2 Sec WoW

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:53 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 in 3.2 Sec WoW

Below from "MotorWeek" It's featured this week on MotorWeek T.V.
Check your local TV listing : )
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD height=90 rowSpan=2 width=411></TD><TD height=10 colSpan=3></TD></TR><TR><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD><TD height=80 width=100><!-- blank space when no advertisers exist --> </TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END ADVERTISING 70X80 --><!-- BEGIN IMAGE & STATS -->

<TABLE width=300 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD>
ENGINE: 7-liter V8
HORSEPOWER: 750
TORQUE: 728 lb feet
0-60 mph: 3.2 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.1 seconds @ 129 mph

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- END IMAGE AND STATS --><!-- -->2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1
Program #3030

In all of our years of testing cars, we've had our fair share of high-performance muscle out on the track. But few have delivered as much raw excitement as those from SLP engineering. Now we first hooked up with SLP and their Firehawk back in 1992, and we've enjoyed many of their models since. SLP's latest offering ramps up the Chevy Camaro to its ultimate street fighting best. So tighten those seat belts, plant those feet, it's time to take a ride!
Not to be confused with GM's own recently announced ZL1 Camaro, this 2011 SLP ZL1 is SLP's most extreme car, yet...750-horsepower extreme! And there's no better place to wring those 750 ponies out than Roebling Road Raceway near Savannah, Georgia, our winter testing grounds for almost 30 years.
Since muscle car guys are all about the quarter mile and not hot lap times, we'll start there. How's 11.1 seconds at 129 mph? Not bad for a street car we'd say. And considering our runs were on straight-up street tires, mounting up some slicks will get you into the 10's easily.
Obviously, traction was an issue at launch. You pretty much have to launch at idle, and feed in as much power as you can as you go. Still, we reached 60 in only 3.2 seconds. A super stiff clutch helped! (With slicks it might get in2 the two second 0-60 (?)
SLP's own short throw shifter managed gear changes perfectly, whether you're ham-fisted with it, or treat it gently. Long tube headers and a Power Flo exhaust system provided a sound that's mean as Hades, both inside the car and out.
As impressive as all this is, we were even more impressed when our track time involved some curves. With 750-horsepower on tap, in a Camaro, we were expecting quite a handful, and were pretty apprehensive on our first few laps out. But it didn't take us long to dip into all that power and start feeling pretty comfortable.
Wow! Surprisingly, coming out of corners is a hook up and take off affair, not the feed in throttle slowly and get ready to countersteer event we were expecting. It made this 2-mile track feel very small, more like an autocross, and except for a long front straight, you never had your foot all the way to the floor for more than a second or two. If needed, GM's Stabilitrack stability control system with Competition Mode is available.
Suspension upgrades include SLP's own adjustable coilover shocks and sway bars, helping the ZL1 turn in super quickly without being darty and giving it a very solid feel overall.
There's still some roll in corners, but way less than a stock Camaro SS, and it wasn't enough to hold us back at all. If it were any stiffer, it would make things a lot less pleasant on the street.
Where you can drive around all day without ever realizing that there is humongous horsepower under the hood. This car truly has a daily driver Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde track beast split personality.
The look is all track fiend however, as SLP added a heritage bow tie grille, their own front fascia with a carbon-fiber splitter, as well as a carbon-fiber hood with functional scoop.
Forged aluminum 20-inch wheels wear Michelin Pilot Sport rubber.
Hiding behind those wheels in front are big, 16-inch brake rotors with Brembo GT 6-piston calipers while a 4-piston 15-inch setup is in the rear.
Also in the rear you'll find a big carbon fiber spoiler and lower diffuser with cutouts for the polished aluminum exhaust tips. As wild as this thing looks, don't expect to blend in anywhere you go.
The interior of SLP's ZL1 is thankfully milder and mostly stock Camaro SS. A variety of leather interior treatments are available, as well as old-school looking Hounds Tooth cloth. Embroidered logos, carbon fiber trim, and a dash plaque complete the transformation.
All of the usual SS Camaro accoutrements are present, as there's been no decontenting to save weight or put on the appearance of being a race car.
To get to 750-horsepower, SLP started with GM's LS7 7-liter V8. Yes, just like in the original ZL1, it's a 427. SLP then adds their own rocker arms and a TVS 2300 supercharger with 10 psi of boost. They also added a dual core aluminum radiator and cold air induction system. Maximum torque of 728 lb-ft comes in just after 4,000 RPM.
Also like the original '69 ZL1, only 69 of these beasts will be built this year, and they will definitely go fast. Pricing is $80,000 on top of the price of a Camaro SS, which begins at $31,795. What ? Not cheap, but serious speed rarely is. <~> 4-Sure The fact that the Jersey Boys at SLP have taken a Camaro and gotten 750-horsepower out of it is not really that impressive. The fact that it's reliable, comes with a warranty, and you can live with it on a daily basis however, is truly remarkable. They've taken the Camaro to a place few of us thought it could go. And for the lucky few who actually get to own an SLP ZL1, consider us jealous.
Yes, I am jealous & envy the Owner(s)

Member's, what do you think of the SPL ZL`1 ?
Play the Lotto & Pray I'd love to just test drive one 4-Real Amaz'in Ride

Last edited by Space; 07-17-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:54 AM

<TABLE style="WIDTH: auto" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>2011 CHEVROLET CAMARO ZL1 BY SLP PERFORMANCE, 750HP ...

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width="1%">

<TD style="PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=top><CITE class=kvm>www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKr7OqXmQeM</CITE>6 min - Mar 8, 2011 - Uploaded by vellasauto
The year was 1969, and the muscle car wars were in full swing. Each one of the big three had developed their own version of the ultimate ...

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
More videos for 2011 chevrolet camaro slp zl1 »

Old 07-17-2011, 06:11 AM

Hi Member's, Below is `if you want a Convertible
IL Track Tested: 2011 Chevy Camaro ZL1 SLP Convertible

By Mike Magrath | July 5, 2011
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>PAGESETUP.addControl(function() { var $E = YAHOO.util.Event, $D = YAHOO.util.Dom; var url = "http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/07/il-track-tested-2011-chevy-camaro-zl1-slp-convertible.html", pgtitle = "IL%20Track%20Tested%3A%202011%20Chevy%20Camaro%20 ZL1%20SLP%20Convertible"; var updateSrc = function(){ var stb3 = document.getElementById("stb_3_44982"); stb3.innerHTML = "<iframe src='http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href="+ encodeURIComponent(url) + "&send=false&layout=button_count&width=90&show_fac es=false&action=like&colorscheme=light&font=verdan a&height=21' scrolling='no' frameborder='0' style='border:none; overflow:hidden; width:90px; height:21px;' allowTransparency='true'><\/iframe>" + "<iframe allowtransparency='true' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' src='http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/tweet_button.html?url=" + encodeURIComponent(url) + "&counturl=" + encodeURIComponent(url) + "&via=insideline_com&text=" + pgtitle + "' style='width:96px; height:20px;'><\/iframe>"; }; updateSrc(); var emailUrl = function(){ window.location='mailto:?subject=Check%20this%20ou t%20from%20Inside%20Line&body=Check%20this%20out%2 0from%20Inside%20Line%0D'+escape(PAGESETUP.scope.b itlyURL); }; var updateBitly = function() { if (url.substring(url.length - 1) == '&') { url = url.substring(0, url.length - 1); } PAGESETUP.scope.shortenCB = function(json) { if (json && json.results && json.results[url] && json.results[url].shortUrl) { PAGESETUP.scope.fullURL = url; PAGESETUP.scope.bitlyURL = json.results[url].shortUrl; emailUrl(); } }; var restURL = 'http://api.bit.ly/shorten?version=2.0.1&longUrl=' + encodeURIComponent(url) + '&login=edmunds&apiKey=R_146a3949f8a4605d136a62c60 f61fbda&callback=PAGESETUP.scope.shortenCB'; YAHOO.util.Get.script(restURL, { onFailure: function() { PAGESETUP.scope.fullURL = url; PAGESETUP.scope.bitlyURL = url; }, onTimeout: function() { PAGESETUP.scope.fullURL = url; PAGESETUP.scope.bitlyURL = url; }, timeout: 5000 }); }; $E.addListener('smtb_print_44982', 'click', function(e) { window.print(); return false; }); $E.addListener('smtb_email_44982', 'click', function(e) { updateBitly(); return false; }); $E.addListener('smtb_comments_44982', 'click', function(e) { if(window.location.hash === "#comments"){ window.location.hash = "#comments"; } else { window.location.hash = "#comments"; } return false; });}, 'low');</SCRIPT><!-- end .entry-header -->
We're months away from the official release of the 2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1 but we're already chomping at the bit. Thankfully, for the impatient, SLP has a thriving tuning business and limited rights to the ZL1 name.
The result is this, the 2011 Chevy Camaro ZL1 SLP Convertible. It's for 2011 only and only 69 will be made, an homage to the original 1969 Chevy Camaro ZL1. That car had a 427-cubic-inch aluminum V8 and so does this new one, but this ZL1 SLP cranks out a whopping 750 (claimed) horsepower. Thank a TVS 2300 supercharger pushing 10 psi of boost, SLP rocker arms, Blackwing cold air induction and an SLP tune (with 205 mph top speed limiter) for the big numbers.
Big numbers are all well and good, but we had to find out how well the 2011 Chevy Camaro ZL1 SLP Convertible did when those 750 ponies hit pavement. Follow the jump for test results...
<IFRAME height=414 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/666b6fGxemw" frameBorder=0 width=675 allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></IFRAME>
Member's click the above & Listen to the MUSIC
Vehicle: 2011 Chevy Camaro ZL1 SLP Convertible
Date Tested: 6-28-2011
Driver: Chris Walton
Price: $80,000 (Plus cost of a donor 1SS or 2SS -- $31,070/$34,420 -- for a total of $111,070 - $114,420)
Specifications:
Drive Type: Longitudinal, front-engine, rear-wheel drive
Transmission Type: Six-speed manual
Displacement (cubic inches): 427
Redline (rpm): 6,400
Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 750
Torque (lb-ft @ rpm): n/a
Steering System: Hydraulic-assist, rack-and-pinion power steering
Suspension Type (front): SLP Adjustable Coil-over
Suspension Type (rear): SLP Adjustable Coil-over
Tire Size (front): 255/40ZR20 (101Y)
Tire Size (rear): 295/35ZR20 (105Y)
Tire Brand: Michelin
Tire Model: Pilot Sport PS2
Tire Type: Asymmetrical Summer performance
Wheel size: 20 inches front and rear
Wheel material (front/rear): Aluminum
Brakes Front: 16-inch ventilated, cross-drilled rotors with six-piston fixed Brembo calipers
Brakes Rear: 15-inch ventilated, cross-drilled rotors with four-piston fixed Brembo calipers
As tested Curb Weight (lb): 4,168

Test Results:
Acceleration
0-30 (sec): 2.0 (2.2 with T/C on)
0-45 (sec): 3.0 (3.2 with T/C on)
0-60 (sec): 4.3 (4.6 with T/C on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 4.0 (4.3 with T/C on)
0-75 (sec): 5.9 (6.1 with T/C on)
1/4-Mile (sec @ mph): 12.2 @ 117.2 (12.5 @ 117.9 with T/C on)
Braking
30-0 (ft): 28
60-0 (ft): 110
Handling
Slalom (mph): 69.2 (67.1 with T/C on)
Skid Pad Lateral acceleration (g): 0.89 (0.89 with T/C on)
Sound
Db @ Idle: 60.2
Db @ Full Throttle: 88.1
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 74.0
DB @ 70 with top open: 76.9

Comments
Acceleration: The trick to getting the most from this car is to find exactly the allowable rate of throttle application that the tires can manage, at launch (2,500) and thereafter. This car's 0-60 time is severely restricted by the amount of grip the tires can provide -- can't go to WOT until 1-2 gearchange. Shifter requires deliberate (but not ham-fisted) effort. Rev limiter is punishingly abrupt. I was expecting a much higher trap speed from 750 hp. Still, this car sounds absolutely magnificent.
Braking: First stop was shortest by 4-5 feet, then every stop after that was absolutely fade-free and dead straight, with no drama whatsoever. Pedal feel is solid and dead consistent. Felt like it would do the same stop all day long.
Handling:
Skid pad: With ESC off, the car feels well balanced and begins a mild understeer condition that requires throttle steering -- I never moved my hands at all. With ESC in Comp mode, it allowed the same amount of understeer without intruding.
Slalom: With ESC off, the car is limited by front grip, where understeer begins to creep subtly but consistently from cone to cone. The trick becomes (as with all Camaros) attempting rotation with lift-throttle without murdering cones because it's next to impossible to spot them at the front or you'll run them over with the rear tire. The Coupe didn't acknowledge the dip/hop at cone #3, but the Convertible was tossed off course, making me late for cone #4. Overall, the suspension setup works very well in a track situation, with predictable behavior at or even slightly beyond the limits set by the tires. The tires are excellent (predictable break-away) and allow the chassis to perform at its best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=666b6...layer_embedded

Last edited by Space; 07-17-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:47 AM

My next car, that's what I think.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I want one. but I'd settle for the green supercharged ss convertible I seen last week

2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 in 3.2 Sec WoW-img_1453.jpg2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 in 3.2 Sec WoW-img_1467.jpg

Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 PM

Music To My Ears !!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:42 PM

For the HP the 1/4 mile times are still high. They need to lose some weight to improve that. No complaining as I still love my Camaro.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Nice Car? Yes....but for $110k+ I'd want something different..more unique...or even just get a regular ss for 31K then use the 80K to do my own thing with the car.

Joe

Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Montess2k
Nice Car? Yes....but for $110k+ I'd want something different..more unique...or even just get a regular ss for 31K then use the 80K to do my own thing with the car.

Joe

Hi `Joe, I really like the SLP Camaro, but I agree 100% with you & `if I had that kind of $ money in invest in a vehcile I would want to create my own

Thanks everyone for your posts & contributions...I alway enjoy reading what falls out of your mind on to this screen

Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by milrlyt
My next car, that's what I think.
"2 dare 2 `Dream"

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I want one. but I'd settle for the green supercharged ss convertible I seen last week

Attachment 6620Attachment 6621
`Lou, I hope your dream ride comes true - play the lotto

Originally Posted by BigPana
Music To My Ears !!!!
Hi Pana, I don't need a stereo `if I have Exhaust Tones like this SLP Camaro ~> 4-Sure...Thanks 4 your posts..

Originally Posted by LnLSS06
For the HP the 1/4 mile times are still high. They need to lose some weight to improve that. No complaining as I still love my Camaro.
, Yes, I agree that the Camaro would be better `if it lost some weight 4-Sure...Wish you fun/safe miles in your New Camaro~> EnJoy

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL1 0-60 in 3.2 Sec WoW