Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2009 SLP FireHawk 0-60 MPH 4sec Flat : )

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up 2009 SLP FireHawk 0-60 MPH 4sec Flat : )

ENGINE: 6.0-liter V8
HORSEPOWER: 500
TORQUE: 489 lb feet
0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.1 seconds @ 124 mph
60-0 mph: 123 feet
MIXED LOOP: 22.6 mpg
2009 Pontiac SLP Firehawk
Program #2839 by MotorWeek

What do you get when you cross a Pontiac G8 GT with a supercharger, and a lot of imagination? Sorry, no punch line here, just a serious street legal performance car: the Firehawk. Now if the name sounds familiar, you're right. The 2009 Firehawk is yet more American muscle from the wizards at SLP Performance Parts. We've been testing their super-tuned Pontiac Firehawk since 1992, and while the G8 Firehawk may be the last high-performance Pontiac we ever test, at least it's going out with a roar.
Just three little words: Hot! Burning! Rubber! That's what we'll remember most about the supercharged 2009 Pontiac G8 GT SLP Firehawk!
The latest Firehawk follows a long line of super-tuned Firebirds and Camaros from SLP, and while they've all been wildly powerful and crazy-fun to put on the track, it appears that the Jersey-based SLP has outdone itself this time.
With only 250 to be built, the rear-drive G8 Firehawk's 500 tire screeching horsepower comes from adding ZR-1 style supercharger technology, cold air induction, and a low restriction mandrel-bent stainless steel exhaust to the GT's 6.0-liter V8. With 489 pound-feet of axle twisting torque peaking at 4,300 rpm, the ride is breathtaking.
At our track on this picture perfect day, 0 to 60 in 4.0 seconds flat. That's a second faster than the G8 GXP. With a quarter-mile of just 12.1 seconds at a very impressive 124 miles-per-hour. Power builds all the way down the track, shifts are wafer crisp, and the car is just brutally fast. The Firehawk's strong, throaty exhaust rumble is music to anyone that's into cars.
When you finally have to steer, the Firehawk's equally rewarding agility comes from a lowered chassis fitted with SLP's Sport Suspension package. Compared to the G8 GXP, the Firehawk is better nailed down, and even more entertaining. Response is laser-precise, with virtually no body roll, rare comments for a two-ton sport sedan to be sure.
Grip comes from Bridgestone P245/40R19 Potenzas mounted on 5-spoke alloys. These tires are like talons dug into the asphalt.
Darting in and out of cones is child's play, as the Firehawk can be pointed almost as easily by goosing the throttle as by the steering wheel.
To clamp down on all the fun is our car's optional Competition Brake Package with 14-inch front and rear vented and cross-drilled disc brakes with 6-piston calipers. There's no sense in going stock here.
Though the ABS-equipped brakes showed wear from other media testing, stops still averaged a short 123 feet from 60 to 0. Overall stability was high.
And, we're also high on the Firehawk's looks. This G8's hardcore facial includes a classic muscle car flat black hood, and grille surrounds, that contrasts perfectly with the now body colored fog lamp inserts.
Firehawk badges abound, on the wheel center caps, the front doors, and on the decklid which is topped by a black high-lip spoiler with uniquely shaped exhaust outlets below, all giving this bird a proper sendoff.
The G8 GT business-like cabin is one we already like, with changes pretty much limited to embroidered Firehawk headrests and specialized floor mats, and there's a dash plaque that shows the vehicle's unique production number. Beyond that, the Firehawk enjoys Pontiac G8 features we appreciate like auxiliary steering wheel controls, a digital information center, and power sunroof, and for safety, six standard airbags - a must when you're driving fast and furious.
Just for giggles, we did a mileage loop and got a respectable 22.6 miles-per-gallon of premium. That's nearly on par with the stock G8 GT.
Pricing for the Firehawk package is $18,995. Add a stock G8 GT and the tab comes to $51,300. The Competition Brakes add $4,995 more for a total of $56,295. But, with Pontiac's future sealed, G8s are going out the door with good discounts. Given Pontiac's amazing contribution to American performance, we wish it wasn't so. But, as a last muscle car hurrah, the 2009 Pontiac G8 GT SLP Firehawk leaves us with a fantastic permanent impression.

Member's, What do you think of the FireHawk.
Post your thoughts/opinioins/comments...

Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

MAN!! I want one. That thing is incredible. Its really not badly priced. That would make a great family car cause of the 4 doors. But it would burn up the streets cause no one would expect it out of a 4 door.

All i can say, is that thing is BAAAAAD!!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:41 AM

JJ... $56,295 is a super high price 4 me 4-Sure : (
I really like it, & I think the way the auto market is going
that there will be some great discounts....That baby is quick 4 a 4dr : ) WoW

Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

The Firehawk is a GREAT car. Intense is building one, also. I saw one of those last weekend, but I didn't have the camera at that time. It was in the Magnaflow tent. The G8 is such a solid base car, and SLP is such a solid performance company, you just can't go wrong with one of these cars.

One thing we have to remember here, Pontiac is going away. BUT this is NOT a Pontiac. It is a Holden. It has Pontiac badges. So the question here is will Holden re-badge the Commodore SS as something else to keep the sales? The car is essentially the same as the Commodore, so some MINOR tooling, and it's re-badged. Or for that matter, why isn't Holden selling cars in the USA? GM I'm sure had something to do with that. The issue here is sales of a car that is all ready tooled and into production, with a HUGE life span left in the tooling.

What do we have to do to keep this car in the USA, fly to Australia and buy one and bring it back? My neighbor flew to Germany to buy her BMW, to tour the factory, and to drive it on the Autobahn. So with Pontiac brand being eliminated, what is the next part of the life in the evolution of the Holden Commodore SS. This car is the next generation of the GTO. Holden has the vision for design that Detroit USED to have, or they have but has had their hands tied by bad management decision that have plagued the Detroit auto industry. The concept cars they come up with are fabulous. The G8 is fabulous. Where's the 2 door coupe? How about a 2 door hardtop? Now THAT would be kewl!!!!

Thank you Holden for the ability to build a quality automobile for us to own, AND thank you to SLP, Intense, and others for investing in these cars to give us vehicles like the SLP Firehawk. Give us a 2 door coupe. WAIT A MINUTE! HERE'S A THOUGHT! With Chevrolet staying, and the thought of a 2 door coupe Commodore SS, Maybe this could be the NEXT Monte Carlo SS! Come on Holden, build us another Monte Carlo, give us a 2 door hardtop (or coupe) based on the G8.

Holden, hear this, put a Knight badge on the G8. PLEASE! Give us another Monte Carlo.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:53 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I agree Wayne, make it a 2 door, rebadge it and instant Monte Carlo SS!!!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 AM

i've loved performance sedans ever since the '94 Imp SS came out. even the Mercury Marauders turned my head. those G-8's remind me of some kind of BMW, but I'm not sure which model.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Which model of Beemer? Is there a difference? They all look the same to me.

Come on Holden. Are you listening???? Give us a TRUE 7th gen Monte Carlo SS, V8 RWD 2 door, hopefully a 2 door hardtop!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Lol.
All you guys are waiting on Holden & Gm. Well Im gonna get mine before I see one at any dealer.
L6-6, 6Speed Zf Gearbox.
Monte Carlo lives again.
Im on here as 2000montecarlorwd, check it out.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:27 PM

adam like

Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

NICE!

I could handle another generation of Monte Carlo's!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 SLP FireHawk 0-60 MPH 4sec Flat : )