Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2009 Corvette ZR1 600+HP : )

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2009 Corvette ZR1 600+HP : )

[align=center]

2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Unveiling the new 600-plus-bhp supercharged Corvette supercar.[/align][align=center][:-][:-][/align][align=center]

February 2008
[/align][align=center][:-]
[/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

Photos: [/align][align=center][:-][/align][ul][*][align=center]2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1[/align][/ul][align=center]
Video:[/align][align=center][:-][/align][ul][*][align=center]2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1[/align][/ul][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Slideshow: 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 >>
Thanks to the Internet, the Corvette ZR1 hasn't been much of a secret. However, it's time to dispel the myths and get the facts straight.
It apparently started five years ago when Chairman and CEO Rick Wagoner posed this question in a staff meeting: If GM could build the stellar-performing Corvette Z06 for $59,995, what could the team do for $100,000? And so the Corvette Team, led by then-Chief Engineer Dave Hill and Assistant Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter, began investigating a super Vette. Its internal name was Blue Devil, said to be in homage to Wagoner's alma mater, Duke. Thus the rumors started. Since then, Hill retired and Juechter is now Chief Engineer of the Corvette and XLR.
But blue isn't just part of the code name. Because the accents on the Z06 are red, and yellow just isn't as pretty as blue, the color will be used for the badges, engine rocker covers and brake calipers. And in production, it won't be Blue Devil, SS or Stingray; it will simply be called ZR1, which harkens back to the C4 ZR-1. Note the lack of a hyphen in the new car's name.
Production will start in 2008 with final assembly cranking out cars in July. Capacity is physically limited to just 2000 cars a year. The ZR1 will be built on the same production line as regular Corvettes and the Z06 in Bowling Green, Kentucky, with engines coming from GM's Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan.

Slideshow >>[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][b]The chassis is the same aluminum structure used for the Z06. Additional carbon fiber is employed to offset the extra 100 lb. of engine modifications added to the nose of the car. The material is found in the unique fenders, hood, roof structure, splitter and rocker extensions. The hood itself has a 4.5-mm-thick polycarbonate window mounted on the power dome to allow space for supercharger comp

Old 12-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Default RE: New 600HP Corvette ZR1 : )

Thanks for the article Space! I think this is the car I will have when I win the lottery. For now though, I have to wipe the drool from my chin and go change my underwear!!!!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:31 PM

Space just needs to pony up the dough and buy one.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

(drooling profusely)

Unable to continue typing. Too much drool on the keyboard.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

[align=center]Yes `Dan, I reached out in `Space and grabbed $100K[/align][align=center]and placed my order on a ZR-1: ) LOL[/align][align=center](I couldn't even afford the insurance on one: )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]2009 ZR1 Corvette 0-60 MPH in low 3's : ) WoW[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]"To Dare to Dream"[/align][align=center]Click on below link for more infor on the ZR-1[/align][align=center]Way 2 `go GM....Thanks for the dream : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://jalopnik.com/cars/detroit-aut...lly-334923.php[/align]

Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 PM

In the words of Beavis And Butt-Head, "B-o-o-i-i-i-i-i-i-i-n-n-n-n-n-g-g-g-g-g."

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: 04 Intimidator

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Yes `Dan, I reached out in `Space and grabbed $100K[/align][align=center]and placed my order on a ZR-1: ) LOL[/align][align=center](I couldn't even afford the insurance on one: )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Hey, someone in the south just tried to get change from a 1 million dollar bill. We never printed one and the bank teller got him busted but you've got a start somewhere.

Old 12-22-2007, 03:11 PM

100k still wouldn't be enough lets not forget taxes lol ....

Old 12-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

if you pulled out a $100,000 bill, you're going to jail. they were never available to the general public, and were only traded by large banks. the backs were orange to note this, and just simply said One Hundred Thousand Dollars on them. it was actually illegal to have a $100,000 in your possessionthe highest thing the general public could have ever gotten its hands on was a $10,000

Old 12-23-2007, 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Twisted_Metal

100k still wouldn't be enough lets not forget taxes lol ....
Hi Dannie, Duane and Member's,
I can't believe this thread has turned into a history lesson on
money, & not the new ZR-1 : )
I don't know `if I ever will be in the position to ever have
the luxury to ever be able to purchase one, but
it's sure fun to escape the world, and dream of owning one.
I'm just happy that GM Chevrolet Division is designing,
engineering and producing a great exotic automobile.
I do, dare 2 `Dream

Quick Reply: 2009 Corvette ZR1 600+HP : )