Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe ?

Old 01-17-2008, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default 2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe ?

[align=center]Members, what do you think of the new
BMW 1 Series[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]There's not many new coupes under $30K to choose from ?[/align][align=center]I like BMW, I wash a few of them for neighbors : )[/align][align=center]They tip well : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]it can rip off 0-60 mph in the low 5-second range and has an electronically limited top end of 155 mph...I'd like 2 rip off in one : )[/align][align=center]

What's type of old car is in the background ? [/align][align=center]Winner gets free access to the MCF : )[/align][align=center]GPD or RJ ?
See BMW 1-Series Photos
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]You know the cycle when you see it: a company becomes successful for one thing, then as years pass, the company loses touch with what originally made it great. Remember Oldsmobile? Yup, you get it. One could argue that in recent years, the great carmaker from Munich has strayed from its roots. Since the late 1970s, BMWs have steadily grown, gained equipment, and put on weight. Correspondingly, their prices have escalated. At $32,400, the least expensive 2008 3-Series is not exactly cheap. BMW recognized that the maturation of its traditional models left a gap at the low end of their product line in the US, and have now seen fit to plug it.

In Pictures: BMW 1-Series

Their cork is the 1-Series. If you stay up late reading car magazines or surfing automotive blogs, you already know that the 1-Series has been on sale in Europe since 2004 as a 3- or 5-door hatch. Given Americans' reluctance to consider a hatchback as anything but a "cheap car," BMW has held off on shipping the 1-Series until its coupe goes on sale in March.

Two models will make the trip; the 128i for under $30k, and the 306-horsepower 135i for about $35,000. Compared to a base 328i Coupe at $35,300, the 1-Series should attract attention from buyers looking for a more back-to-basics BMW at a more down-to-earth price. Those looking at Infiniti's excellent G37 coupe, or moving up from a hot hatch like a GTi or MazdaSpeed3 might also be 1-Series marks according to BMW's marketing department.

[/align]
[align=center][/align][align=center]

See BMW 1-Series Photos
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][b]BMW trotted out a pair of beautifully restored 2002s to trumpet the brand's recognition that it needed a new entry-level car since the 3-Series had grown too big for those britches. For those too young to remember, the 02 series (produced between 1966 and 1978) stands out as a defining vehicle for BMW. The 2002tii attained true cult status in the US thanks to its giant-killing performance. At the time, no one knew that the car would set BMW's direction for the next three decades. BMW claims the 2002 as the inspiration for the new 1-Series Coupe.

Thankfully, the 02 remained only an inspiration. The 1-Series is clearly not a retro BMW. The family resemblance to the current 3-Series is strong. The finished package shares the long-hood/short-deck of the 3-Series, but the

Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: 2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe ?

There'sa number ofSouthern California sayings:

Why buy a Lexus when you can have a Beemer?

Why buy a Beemer when you can have a Mercedes?

Why buy Mercedes when you can havea Jaguar?

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM

[align=center]Thanks GPD for your post, and your vote for a 07 Monte SS : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]There's a say'in in Florida, [/align][align=center]You got to have Money to be able to have a Beemer.[/align][align=center]I do love the M3 that I wash, but never have driven : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If I had $30+K to spend on a car, I would get one like [/align][align=center]the below that I found on AutoTrader here in Florida[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]Asking Price is only
$21,998[/align][align=center]Mileage: 13,813[/align][align=center]I'm sure you could get it out the door for that price.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I would then have a 07 Monte SS V-8 + $8K in change[/align][align=center]to pay for insurance/Mod's/ and lots of SuperSuper Fun : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]That's one of my dreams 4 today : )[/align][align=center]I do dream a lot, but WoW, I wish I had the money to[/align][align=center]get the above 07 Monte SS V-8 : )[/align][align=center]Good thing that dreams are `free, if they weren't[/align][align=center]I should would owe a lot [/align]

Old 01-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

I saw a very old lady on a cell phone this morning in a white 07 SS.

Nice wheels.

I wonder if she will mary me?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:14 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i voted for the 07 Monte... although I'm not "all chevy". i just don't like the looks of the imports these days...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 PM

As the old saying goes: "If you have the money ... you don't need to ask"

I don't have that kind of dough for a Beemer ... But, sure wouldn't turn one down if I won it or someone awarded one to me.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

BTW that old car is a late 20s ford 5 window coupe!

I should ad its proper name is a Ford Model A 5 window coupe.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:47 PM

the new beamer is horrible looking..no way I would ever give the monte up for that

Old 01-18-2008, 04:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Come on Space am I right?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:17 PM

[align=center]
ORIGINAL: mrl390

Come on Space am I right?
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]LOL ~ LOL `Matt,[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]
What's type of old car is in the background ? [/align][align=center]Winner gets free access to the MCF : )[/align][align=center]?[/align][align=center]I'm not sure, but I think it's a 1929 Model A 5 window Coupe ?[/align][align=center]That's what my grandfather thinks.[/align][align=center]But, I will crown you the winner, and your prize is free access to the MCF : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Now we can wait for someone to post that may have additional infor, or[/align][align=center]knowledge of old rides : )[/align][align=center]Thanks for posting...I'm always amazed how many curves a topic[/align][align=center]thread will take during it's `journey on the forum : )[/align][align=center]Peace/Out[/align]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 BMW 1 Series Coupe ?