Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute <

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up >1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute <

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute
`Member's, do you like this 1st Gen Monte ? (I do 4-Sure) It's sweet!!!! Post your comments(?)

Michael Boyte built this stunning Monte Carlo to honor its previous owner, his brother

By Casey J Porter, Photography by Jim Campisano

Super Chevy, April 11, 2014

Under any circumstances, restoring a classic Chevy is a labor of love. It takes passion to go through the restoration process. It's fun, it's frustrating, and it can be expensive. But the sense of accomplishment you experience, often after years of hard work, makes it all worthwhile. Sometimes it goes beyond that. The car becomes a way to pay tribute to people loved and lost. That's what makes Michael and Ann Boyte's 1972 Monte Carlo so special.

His father went to countless dealerships and lots in search of that perfect car for Michael's older (and only) brother, Randy. The car was from Tal Williams Chevrolet in Greensboro, North Carolina. As Michael describes it, "That night when Randy brought the car home, he parked it in the backyard and turned on all of the outside lights so the family could admire it. To repay our parents, Randy drove a school bus. He repaid every penny.
"I always looked up to my brother and wanted to be like him. But as fate would have it we lost Randy way too early in a rather horrific car accident on December 2, 1978." Michael continues, "He and three of his friends lost their lives that night. I was 14 at the time. Two days after his death, my parents [Wilbur and Peggy] gave me Randy's car, along with strict instruction to take good care of it."
For the next 20 years Michael kept the Monte Carlo in pristine condition. If so much as a cloud appeared, back in the garage it would go. His wife Ann was a great source of support. She often suggested they show the car, but Michael would tell her it's not a show car. He told her it would be costly. She never gave up and said they should make the necessary sacrifices as a memorial to Randy and a tribute to his parents. Eventually she wore him down.

The '72 Monte Carlo was taken down to the frame, cleaned and painted. Mark Hooker of Pine Hall, North Carolina, did the bodywork, then sent it to Scott Tickle of Summerfield, North Carolina, for color. Scott laid down a flawless Sikkens Autobase Plus Triple Black paint job. After each piece was painted, Steve Dale would wet sand and buff it. The result was a deep, blemish-free finish.
This Monte is all about the details. The rear quarters, trunk pan, fenderwells, and all body panel crimps have been smoothed, blended, and shot with a base/clear process. The trim was all NOS and sent off to Pro One Polishing in Hobart, Indiana, for a show quality finish. Advanced Chrome Plating in Nashville restored the grille and did the plating.

The engine was sent to Banks Racing, where the original 350 increased to 388.3 ci. The engine was bored to 4.060, stroked to 3.750, blueprinted, and balanced at 50 percent. Michael asked for 500hp and got 553.1hp at 6300rpm and 521 lb-ft at 5000. That power was the result of some of the best parts out there—aluminum cylinder heads, JE pistons with a compression ratio of 11.2:1, SCAT crankshaft, Comp camshaft with.555 lift and a 254/250-degree duration split, topped off with an Edelbrock intake manifold and a Holley 800-cfm carburetor. Exhaust is sent out through Hooker Competition headers and a Jet Hot coated Flowmaster exhaust. Behind the motor is a Turbo 350 with a 3800rpm stall converter coupled to a chromed driveshaft. The 12-bolt Posi rear sports 3.73 gears.
A classic street machine wouldn't be complete without a wicked stance. Larry Lawson installed Classic Performance Products A-arms, Hotchkis springs with a drop of 3.5-inches and KYB adjustable shocks up front. Out back are Hotchkis springs with a 1.5-inch drop and Monroe adjustable shocks. Wilwood 12-inch rotors with polished four-piston calipers were installed all the way around. Custom-built Foose wheels (18x8-inch front and 20x10 rear) are shod with Nitto NT555 tires.

This Monte is all about the details. The rear quarters, trunk pan, fenderwells, and all body panel crimps have been smoothed, blended, and shot with a base/clear process.

While the interior still has classic items like the vinyl seats, it also has custom billet sills, strikers, and vents. Other billet accessories include the hood and trunk hinges. But probably the most important item in the interior, and perhaps the whole car, is Randy's graduation tassel from Stoneville High School forever hanging from the rearview mirror.
Once you learn the story of this Monte you can't help but be moved. The car has been shown all over the U.S. and has done quite well. In fact, the Monte won the national championship in Super Chevy's 2013 AMSOIL Best of the Best online competition in the Chevelle/Monte Carlo class.
With his wife's constant encouragement, the Boytes will continue to campaign the car this year in as many cities as they can.
"Everywhere we go Randy's story and his car go with us," says Michael.
This is more than a Chevy, more than a restoration; this is Randy Boyte's triple black tribute.

<>
See all 5 Photos

Read more: 1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute - Super Chevy
^ Source above >Thanks Super Chevy 4>Sure!

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-09-2014 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Lightbulb And there's More > EnJoy the Below

monte carlo

1. 1970 Chevy Monte Carlo - Granddad's Monte Eli Brown Transformed His Grandfather's Monte Carlo Into A Turbo-Boosted Tire Shredder.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/chevellemontecarlo/sucp_1012_1970_chevy_
monte_carlo/
2. Monte Carlo Rearend - Got My Nine We build an indestructible street/strip rearend for our Project True SStreet '87 Monte Carlo SS.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/driveshaft_rearend/s
ucp_0806_monte_carlo_rearend/
3. 1971 Monte Carlo Chassis - Monte Makeover We turned to the experienced racers and manufacturers of suspension components, Hotchkis Sport Suspension, to completely rebuild the chassis of Harrison Ortis's Monte Carlo.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/frame/sucp_0711_1971_monte_carl
o_chassis/
4. Monte Carlo Night - Norwalk, Ohio! The Monte Carlos are making a come back at the Norwalk Dragway car show in Ohio, and give a new meaning to Monte Carlo ...
Monte Carlo Night - Norwalk Dragway - Super Chevy Magazine 5. Monte Carlo Shocks - Best Of Both Worlds Have your shocks and tune them too with QA1 shocks for Chevy Monte Carlos
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/suspension_steering/sucp_0210_m
onte_carlo_shocks/
6. Chevy Monte Carlo Dash - A Dashing Restoration ...why we restified our dash and few other components on our Chevy Monte Carlo.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/interior/upholstery_seats/sucp_0205_che
vy_monte_carlo_dash/
7. 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS - Mean, Mean Monte What the General couldn’t do in ’87, Darrell Hyde added today in his 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/chevellemontecarlo/sucp_1210_1987_chevy_
monte_carlo_ss_mean/
8. 1987 Monte Carlo SS Suspension - Armed, But Not Yet Dangerous We change the front suspension for our '87 Monte Carlo SS to achieve straight line traction.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/chassis/suspension_steering/sucp_0811_1
987_monte_carlo_ss_suspension/
9. Monte Carlo SS Project - Building A Hell-Raiser We needed to get the foundation down for our '87 Monte Carlo SS project and opted to go with a small block for our ...
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/completebuilds_testi
ng/sucp_0808_monte_carlo_ss_project/
10. Chevy Monte Carlo Flame Paint - Up In Flames Our Project True SStreet Chevrolet Monte Carlo gets some color--then goes up in flames
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/paint_body/paint/sucp_0805_chevy_monte_
carlo_flame_paint/

Go to Page 12345678910

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/sch/02/mon...#ixzz31DKxCbit

Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Thumbs up >1St Gen Monte's<

Member's, post your favorite picture(s)
of the 1st Gen Monte Carlo

Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Nice touching post (first one) and great pics of some beautiful cars. Sadly the first major accident I was ever involved in was actually in a 77 Monte Carlo, I was a passenger and there was 4 of us going to Toronto for a weekend of fun, but at about the half way point a guy decided to perform a u turn in the centre turning lane of the highway that is for Police and emergency vehicles only but he must not have read that part of the sign lol, anyways he did his u turn and pulled out in front of a greyhound bus, which then slammed on the brakes causing us to pull in to the right hand lane in a hurry, which at first was ok, but..............the rather large school bus that was coming up on us in a hurry slammed in to the rear end of the car and pushed us in to the ditch quite a ways, on the positive everyone in the car and bus were ok, on the negative it wrecked the Monte.

Sorry I know the story doesn't totally relate to the post, but I just wanted to share my experience with the first gen monte

Old 05-10-2014, 03:33 AM

Thanks `Ken for sharing your road trip experience + all your contributions to the MCF

Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Monte of the Month -- March 2015
3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is one clean looking Monte Carlo. I do like the one that would belong at the drag track. I would love to have a monte carlo like that for the track. Around here I never see any of the drag cars look like that. The only ones I have saw were the 4th gen.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Cool Sweet M/C 4>$ure

Hi `Zach,
I've only seen them a shows, but I really like the
classic look of the 1st Gen Monte's +
it's has RWD & a V8 Chevy
I'd love 2 see Chevy bring the 1st Gen back with
updated tech
Black > is Beautiful
I really like the below one & the feature tribute Monte

Old 05-11-2014, 04:20 AM
Thumbs up >Bonus Post<

the 2002 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition Monte Carlo (3,333 units), the 2003 Jeff Gordon Signature Edition Monte Carlo (2,424 units), the 2004 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS (4,000 units), the 2004 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Signature Series Supercharged SS Monte Carlo (2,883 units), and the 2005 Tony Stewart Signature Series Supercharged SS (1,020 units).

• 2002 Dale Earnhardt Signature Edition Monte Carlo

Read more: 2006 Chevy Silverado Intimidator SS - Featured Custom Trucks - Truckin Magazine

Old 04-02-2016, 05:43 PM

1987 Chevy Monte Carlo SS - Mean, Mean Monte

What the General couldn't do in '87, Darrell Hyde added today

Patrick Hill Sep 6, 2012 0 Comment(s) Share

View Full Gallery
Looking back on the '80s, it's tough not to have a jaded view. We've had a decade and a half since to be spoiled with the kind of high horsepower numbers not seen even in the '60s. By comparison, the '80s, while an improvement over the mid-to-late '70s, seem slow and pedantic by comparison. The most robust offering was the 245hp L98 in the Corvette. You couldn't get a manual trans with the 350 in a Camaro, and the only engine to be had in the Monte SS was the LB9 305 that wheezed out less than 200 ponies. On the plus side, horsepower numbers were climbing throughout the '80s, signaling the reawakening of performance that would give us the power boons of the late '90s and 21st century.
A transfer from his job at Autozone had Darrell "Poppa" Hyde working in Columbus, Georgia, when in the fall of 1986 a brand new, black Monte Carlo Aerocoupe, sitting on the lot of Bill Heard Chevrolet stole his heart at first sight. Undaunted by the car's $17,000 sticker price, Darrell traded in his '80 Bonneville and '74 Suburban, laid down some cash, and drove off the lot in his brand new Monte SS. For six years it was his daily driver, until a divorce in 1993 separated him from the homologation special edition.
In 2001, fate again dealt him a blow, when Darrell's daily-driver was stolen. In need of transportation, he found out his '87 G-body had stopped running and was left to rot in a field. With the help of his daughter, Darrell managed to get his old car back and into running condition for everyday use. By 2005 the Monte was showing its age--not to mention the aftereffects of being left for dead. The T-tops allowed water to leak into the interior, soaking the carpet and breeding rust that would to eat through the floorboards. The black paint was sunbaked pretty badly, and overall the car was just tired.
In his garage, Darrell started disassembling the G-body for a full refit, with some modifications to give it the performance not available back in the go-go '80s. The stock 305 was pitched in favor of a 427 Mouse he built himself out of a Dart Iron Eagle tall-deck block, Brodix cylinder heads, Eagle rotating assembly, Comp Cams valvetrain, Edelbrock intake, and Holley 950 cfm carb. Steve Larkin in Memphis performed all the necessary machine work before assembly.
To handle all the power and torque of the new mill, California Performance Transmissions built up a 200-4R with 3,000 stall converter. The factory 10-bolt rear was junked, and a narrowed Fab 9 9-inch rear built with 4.30 gears and Detroit Locker. Speaking of narrowed, to help fit enough rubber underneath so the car would hook, Darrell got help from friend David White to cut and narrow the rear framerails to make room for mini-tubs and 255-width rubber.
Most of the body repair, including welding in new floorpans, was done by Darrell himself. Another friend, Scott White, helped detail and paint various interior and trim pieces, different brackets, and some miscellaneous items. A custom console insert was made by Darrell to mount accessory gauges, and the stock buckets replaced with 3R Racing units. There's a fake floor on the passenger-side, behind which hides the MSD ignition boxes. The factory A/C system was also junked, replaced with a Vintage Air climate unit.
To modernize the look of the car and make the frame less visible from a distance, Darrell built his own ground effects, along with lengthening the nose two inches, and installing the massive rear spoiler. Once everything was set, the car went to painter Tommy Gann for coating in DuPont black and clearcoat. Finishing the package are Intro GT Sport 17x8 wheels wrapped in Khumo rubber. There are many who might question all the time, effort, and money expended on what most people only see as "just a G-body Monte Carlo." For Darrell, building for value wasn't the idea of the project.
"I always liked the lines of the G-body cars. This Monte Carlo was the last new car I ever bought, and I wanted to fix it up and add the performance you couldn't get back when it was new. I didn't want to build another Camaro or Chevelle like everyone else. I wanted something different, a pro touring G-body." Indeed, one with a NASCAR high-banks heritage and theme. Even though the Aerocoupe isn't his daily ride anymore, Darrell still drives it at least once a week, and to most shows within a reasonable amount of distance from home.
While "different" is the obvious adjective to use about this car, we look at it more as a great example of original thinking, and the true reason why most hot rodders build cars.

MORE PHOTOS

VIEW FULL GALLERY

Old 04-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Wink

Originally Posted by BeachBumMike
1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute
`Member's, do you like this 1st Gen Monte ? (I do 4-Sure) It's sweet!!!! Post your comments(?)

Michael Boyte built this stunning Monte Carlo to honor its previous owner, his brother

By Casey J Porter, Photography by Jim Campisano

Super Chevy, April 11, 2014

Under any circumstances, restoring a classic Chevy is a labor of love. It takes passion to go through the restoration process. It's fun, it's frustrating, and it can be expensive. But the sense of accomplishment you experience, often after years of hard work, makes it all worthwhile. Sometimes it goes beyond that. The car becomes a way to pay tribute to people loved and lost. That's what makes Michael and Ann Boyte's 1972 Monte Carlo so special.

His father went to countless dealerships and lots in search of that perfect car for Michael's older (and only) brother, Randy. The car was from Tal Williams Chevrolet in Greensboro, North Carolina. As Michael describes it, "That night when Randy brought the car home, he parked it in the backyard and turned on all of the outside lights so the family could admire it. To repay our parents, Randy drove a school bus. He repaid every penny.
"I always looked up to my brother and wanted to be like him. But as fate would have it we lost Randy way too early in a rather horrific car accident on December 2, 1978." Michael continues, "He and three of his friends lost their lives that night. I was 14 at the time. Two days after his death, my parents [Wilbur and Peggy] gave me Randy's car, along with strict instruction to take good care of it."
For the next 20 years Michael kept the Monte Carlo in pristine condition. If so much as a cloud appeared, back in the garage it would go. His wife Ann was a great source of support. She often suggested they show the car, but Michael would tell her it's not a show car. He told her it would be costly. She never gave up and said they should make the necessary sacrifices as a memorial to Randy and a tribute to his parents. Eventually she wore him down.

The '72 Monte Carlo was taken down to the frame, cleaned and painted. Mark Hooker of Pine Hall, North Carolina, did the bodywork, then sent it to Scott Tickle of Summerfield, North Carolina, for color. Scott laid down a flawless Sikkens Autobase Plus Triple Black paint job. After each piece was painted, Steve Dale would wet sand and buff it. The result was a deep, blemish-free finish.
This Monte is all about the details. The rear quarters, trunk pan, fenderwells, and all body panel crimps have been smoothed, blended, and shot with a base/clear process. The trim was all NOS and sent off to Pro One Polishing in Hobart, Indiana, for a show quality finish. Advanced Chrome Plating in Nashville restored the grille and did the plating.

The engine was sent to Banks Racing, where the original 350 increased to 388.3 ci. The engine was bored to 4.060, stroked to 3.750, blueprinted, and balanced at 50 percent. Michael asked for 500hp and got 553.1hp at 6300rpm and 521 lb-ft at 5000. That power was the result of some of the best parts out there—aluminum cylinder heads, JE pistons with a compression ratio of 11.2:1, SCAT crankshaft, Comp camshaft with.555 lift and a 254/250-degree duration split, topped off with an Edelbrock intake manifold and a Holley 800-cfm carburetor. Exhaust is sent out through Hooker Competition headers and a Jet Hot coated Flowmaster exhaust. Behind the motor is a Turbo 350 with a 3800rpm stall converter coupled to a chromed driveshaft. The 12-bolt Posi rear sports 3.73 gears.
A classic street machine wouldn't be complete without a wicked stance. Larry Lawson installed Classic Performance Products A-arms, Hotchkis springs with a drop of 3.5-inches and KYB adjustable shocks up front. Out back are Hotchkis springs with a 1.5-inch drop and Monroe adjustable shocks. Wilwood 12-inch rotors with polished four-piston calipers were installed all the way around. Custom-built Foose wheels (18x8-inch front and 20x10 rear) are shod with Nitto NT555 tires.

This Monte is all about the details. The rear quarters, trunk pan, fenderwells, and all body panel crimps have been smoothed, blended, and shot with a base/clear process.

While the interior still has classic items like the vinyl seats, it also has custom billet sills, strikers, and vents. Other billet accessories include the hood and trunk hinges. But probably the most important item in the interior, and perhaps the whole car, is Randy's graduation tassel from Stoneville High School forever hanging from the rearview mirror.
Once you learn the story of this Monte you can't help but be moved. The car has been shown all over the U.S. and has done quite well. In fact, the Monte won the national championship in Super Chevy's 2013 AMSOIL Best of the Best online competition in the Chevelle/Monte Carlo class.
With his wife's constant encouragement, the Boytes will continue to campaign the car this year in as many cities as they can.
"Everywhere we go Randy's story and his car go with us," says Michael.
This is more than a Chevy, more than a restoration; this is Randy Boyte's triple black tribute.

<>
See all 5 Photos

Read more: 1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute - Super Chevy

^ Source above >Thanks Super Chevy 4>Sure!
I sold my 69 Chevelle in 1970, I owned a 70 Monte Carlo for a few months thought it would be better for the Girl Friends I had they would always slide the little butts up on the Console lid and sit next to me. So then I got the Monte it was white with white vinyl top and bench seat. Then the 70 I/2 Z/28 arrived and I got rid of the Monte Carlo, went back to racing again. Chics still sat up on the console, this was great every time I shifted gears.

Quick Reply: >1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Triple Black Tribute <